Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree19Likes

Understanding Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

like others have said JQ is going to have the actual background in engineering as well as race experience. His roll center youtube video is great................... Same with Fred Swain in that tuning with camber links thread. I use his 'balanced car' method and it has served me well.
ollie 45 and MaX-D like this.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:04 AM
Tech Rookie

I have not been able to find the book "Invisible Speed". On his website it shows a minimum purchase quantity of 1000 and the above link shows out of stock.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Always Learnin
I have not been able to find the book "Invisible Speed". On his website it shows a minimum purchase quantity of 1000 and the above link shows out of stock.
Try this link from the EU
https://invisiblespeed.net/books

Great video here from the author of Invisible Speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpKrykmcUQo
Old 07-14-2023, 11:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Minimum purchase quantity is 1000. I have watched quite a few of his videos. He is very thorough in his explanations. I also like that he also shows examples of rc cars on the track to fully illustrate what he is teaching.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I imagine the 1000 number is probably because it's out of stock and it's the minimum sensible number to print another charge. If we're talking about real paper books here.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Currently in-stock here, 2 books left:
https://modeltune.co.uk/products/inv...44186094403861

May want to hurry and order it because I have no affiliation with the company and will likely sell out now that I've posted this, ha!
Old 07-14-2023, 08:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by billdelong
Currently in-stock here, 2 books

May want to hurry and order it because I have no affiliation with the company and will likely sell out now that I've posted this, ha!
Thanks. Just ordered a copy.
Old 07-14-2023, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I could have sworn he mentioned in one of his videos that he really needed to work on a v2 of the book and was planning to do so.
billdelong likes this.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RazorRC
I could have sworn he mentioned in one of his videos that he really needed to work on a v2 of the book and was planning to do so.
I just received a copy of the book and it's marked as "3rd printing copyright October 2022"

The first edition was marked November 2020
RazorRC likes this.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Currently v2 is showing preorder. There's also an option for the 1 year online course that includes a preorder copy right now.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

You could check out Adam Drake on Youtube.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:49 PM
Tech Rookie

All so helpful to a newbie here as all I've done is change a pinion.
Old 03-22-2024, 06:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Always Learnin
Hello. Is there a book or other resource that teaches proper tuning approach for offroad electric R/C vehicles?

I am returning to the hobby after a 5 year hiatus. A big portion of the enjoyment I get from this hobby is working on and maintaining my vehicles. I really want to dive deeper into proper setup approaches with my vehicles.

For example: when looking to stiffen the front suspension, at what point do you change springs versus oil in the shocks or pistons? Why? When would you change the shock mounting positions? Why?

These are just a couple of examples of questions I have. Thank you all in advance for any guidance.
It's relevant for me too. I'm also looking for similar materials and books. Technical writing presents a significant challenge for me, as writing has never been my forte. Hence, I often seek assistance with any writing-related tasks. Recently, when I found myself struggling with nursing research paper writing, this source came to my aid. The most important aspect for me was being able to complete everything promptly and achieve a favorable grade.

Last edited by AlfredNatha; 04-03-2024 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

tuning is kinda one of those things that as you learn more about, you realize you ask more questions than finding answers. Like you said difference between springs and oil - quick answer is springs are paired to the cars weight to absorb landings at an even rate (the back and front move up and down at an equal rate) and oil changes how fast (or slow) that change happens.

The shock tower and arm holes affect the shock angle, which translates to how fast they go up and down. A more up-down angle, its fast. More angled, its slower. IDK if this is equal to a slightly stiffer spring or heavier shock oil. I think its fine-tuning spring rates.

Shock oil i think affects how far up and down the shock will go in an set period of time. example - when the car drops, the suspension takes about .5 second to react up and down (ASSUMPTION NOT FACT). A light oil and the shock will use a lot more tavel in that .5 second. A heavier oil slows down reaction time, so in that same .5 second landing means the shock has less time to travel up and down.

My head is already spinning thinking about this so much without applying it to corning speed and all that regular tuning stuff. The best thing is to get consistent enough to be able to feel what one change does. You only really wanna do one, maybe two changes at a time. Drive it around and see if you are faster or slower and asking yourself where am I losing speed, where is it hard to control, etc. A pro setup is usually something to just get you going in the right direction. From there you decide what you need more or less of. There's lots of free guides on youtube, but you really wanna hear from an racer with some engineering know-how. They really understand whats going on and why. Even with good explanations its still kinda hard to know without getting out there and experiencing the changes first hand. Those practice tuning days make me wish I had a mechanic to make the changes for me and I just race and give feedback.

Tuning is something that also changes as your skills grow. You can tune-in "traning wheels" that make the car easier to drive by slowing the reaction speed, getting it to center easier, less grip, etc. As you get better the car can be more nimble and you change some simple things, like toe-in and camber, and the car will react faster, or you feel more reactions from the car.