Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree19Likes

Understanding Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 03:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Understanding Tuning

Hello. Is there a book or other resource that teaches proper tuning approach for offroad electric R/C vehicles?

I am returning to the hobby after a 5 year hiatus. A big portion of the enjoyment I get from this hobby is working on and maintaining my vehicles. I really want to dive deeper into proper setup approaches with my vehicles.

For example: when looking to stiffen the front suspension, at what point do you change springs versus oil in the shocks or pistons? Why? When would you change the shock mounting positions? Why?

These are just a couple of examples of questions I have. Thank you all in advance for any guidance.
Old 07-11-2023, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Start here.

Tune With Camber Links
Old 07-11-2023, 05:58 PM
Tech Rookie

this is what I'm looking for! Thanks!
If there is any more like this, please link them!
Old 07-11-2023, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

https://site.petitrc.com/reglages/Ba...pensionTuning/

here’s something to ponder over
Old 07-11-2023, 07:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC4

I watched this 1 recently and I thought it was helpful so ill share it here.
-d
Old 07-11-2023, 10:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you all!
Old 07-12-2023, 12:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've found both of these useful;-
Hudy Setup book
So Dialed Off-road set-ups
gotheframe likes this.
Old 07-12-2023, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaX-D
That's a long thread, you really only need to read the posts by fredswain. Specifically focus on his methods for bench testing springs, oils, and piston rates. When you get your head wrapped around those tests/procedures then you can start trying to understand roll centers/camber links.

I've been tuning all of my RC cars using his methodology for about a decade now. It takes out a lot of guess work and always gets me to a car that drives really nicely. However it's still important that you show up to a track and test setup changes as well. One of these days someone should write up a concise summary of that thread...
banx and MaX-D like this.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:26 AM
Tech Master

If you want a book the only one to consider is Invisible Speed by JQ, it is the only one that is factually correct in all aspects, no other text I have seen is.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This book is fantastic. There are some really helpful sections at the back of the book on what steps you should take if your car is oversteering, understeering, how to make it easier to drive, etc etc
https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Off.../dp/0648581144
Old 07-12-2023, 08:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jph98
This is the onroad version but it has a nice trouble shooting chart in the back to supplement with the offroad version.

Edit:
Originally Posted by MaX-D
Originally Posted by RC10Nick
That's a long thread, you really only need to read the posts by fredswain. Specifically focus on his methods for bench testing springs, oils, and piston rates. When you get your head wrapped around those tests/procedures then you can start trying to understand roll centers/camber links.

I've been tuning all of my RC cars using his methodology for about a decade now. It takes out a lot of guess work and always gets me to a car that drives really nicely. However it's still important that you show up to a track and test setup changes as well. One of these days someone should write up a concise summary of that thread...
The Hudy book(s) does a good job of taking a systematic approach to setup. You start on page 1 and as you get things dialed in work through the book, step by step. Its also FREE to download.

This seems to be the reiteration that fredswain refers to... set the spring frequency first, then move on, etc.

Like for example the Hudy book talks about setting front roll center and rechecking front toe. Checking camber, then again checking toe. Really like how fredswain approaches the springs tho :thumbsup The hudy book doesn't explain this very well.

Last edited by gotheframe; 07-12-2023 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-12-2023, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

One of the best investments if you want to move up from Sportsman into Expert:
https://shopjtp.com/products/invisible-speed-book

Another solid resource here as well:
https://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/u...t_Up_Guide.pdf
RogerM likes this.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you everyone for the guidance. I have been reading the thread where Fred Swain goes through his set up process. It is very long and detailed, which I like. I will check out the other resources as well.
I enjoyed 10th scale offroad racing before, but was also very frustrated with questions that were not answered. I appreciated the advice given by the few that would offer it, but was frustrated when no one could say WHY the changes made actually helped. To me, answering the why leads to a deeper understanding, which leads to a setup that can be changed confidently on an as needed basis.
Thank you again for providing these resources. I now have quite a bit of homework to do.
BenewahRCTeam likes this.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you really want to understand the physics behind RC car chassis design and tuning I'd always advocate for searching for books/articles written by actual chassis engineers who design actual full sized race cars. A lot of "rc knowledge" I've seen in tuning guides is "bro science" written by people without an actual engineering background.
RogerM and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.
Old 07-13-2023, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

Theres also an XRAY tuning guide that is pretty handy...even if you arent running an XRAY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.