R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Losi 8ight Pics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/109226-losi-8ight-pics.html)

dirtracer1 05-08-2006 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Aaron Waldron 05-08-2006 06:42 PM

STOP THE ARGUING! This is how message boards are ruined and forgotten about. If you're going to present an opinion, do it without calling someone stupid, or an idiot, or completely bashing a car. PLEASE.

Originally Posted by dirtracer1
sae vs metric....losi vs ae.....chevy vs ford......harley vs honda.....ginger vs maryann. who the hell cares. :cry:

SAE, Losi, Chevy, Honda, and MaryAnn...hehe.

Let's be real guys...there was no way not to make SOMEONE angry with the SAE vs. metric decision. If the hardware on the car was metric, then faithful Losi customers would have to get metric stuff. Because it's SAE, faithful 1/8th scale guys will have to get SAE stuff. It's a lose/lose situation, and there's really no reason to argue about it, the car is basically done and that's that. Those who like the SAE hardware will use it, those who want metric hardware will hit up Tony's Screws and get a metric setup. Now stop arguing.

binaryterror - I've had cars other than Losi or AE, thanks. I have been racing for Jammin' for over a year and their car is wholly metric. And I had to pony up and get a set of metric tools, boo-hoo me. But thanks for your concern.

Turbo Joe - It may be stupid that you now have to get SAE stuff...but like I said, wouldn't a Losi faithful feel it was "stupid" to have to get all metric stuff?

Sportwerks cars are not connected with Losi products other than they're owned by Horizon. Sportwerks cars are made in Asia, not the U.S.

Oh, and o.s. power - Watch the language.

dirtracer1 05-08-2006 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
and MaryAnn...hehe.

maryann was quite the babe.....but ginger was probably the one with the skilz. :lol:

btw aaron......well said. now back to the 8ight. :nod:

Pembalap 05-08-2006 07:19 PM

Differentials

I was wondering since this car has many innovative features, most importanly it's the "more" centralize motor.

Other than that, is there any new improvement on the differentials? Locking style diff maybe???

A.W

runnin rc10 05-08-2006 07:28 PM

Hey Aaron,
I asked you in your other thread, but you havent posted in there in a while. Is Losi going to be releasing any more 1/8 tires? Ive always really liked their tires and would love for them to keep making some.

o.s. power 05-08-2006 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
Oh, and o.s. power - Watch the language.

NO

:)

SlobbaTech 05-08-2006 08:00 PM

Whenever a new car from this or that company comes out there are always people saying bad things about the car...on some kits those "bad" things will be more of a problem than on other kits. So if the only "bad" thing people can say about the 8ight is type of screw used doesn't comply with the tools in their toolbox then I think Losi did a hell of a job with the kit.

I'm with the group of people that think the more coarse threads hold better in softer materials than more smaller threads/surface area. If you were dangling from a cliff by a rope which was "anchored" to the ground, which option would you rather that rope be anchored to the ground with? A: The rope has 400 ft. of it's length just lying on top of the soft soil = a lot of surface area right??? Or this option.... B: The rope or tied to a 4x4 post staked 2 feet into the ground. It is a bit of an extreme type of case, but usually when you go to extremes with things that are in question it will allow you to see things a lot more clearly.

Rocket42 05-08-2006 09:08 PM

well i'am just glad my hyper 8 came with 3mm self tapping screws for all plastic connections. thick threads and unscrew with far less turns. maybe that is what losi has done guess you'll find out when its out.

o.s. power harley needs to put honda engines in there bikes and not pretend that technology reached its peak in 1955.

and that hangin from a rope thing made no sense and the two examples were not even remotely close to each other.

SlobbaTech 05-08-2006 09:24 PM

The 2 examples were not meant to be close to each other....hence the point of taking things to the extremes or exaggerated to more clearly show both ends of things of both sides of the argument. The rops represents the screw/fastener. Your bodies' weight = force applied to the screw either from shear force when the car is flipping and the parts are trying to seperate or from the screw head bottoming out on a part and the car owner tried to keep tightening the screw. The rope's "anchoring" type = the fastener thread being coarse vs surface area.

DP-buggyboy 05-08-2006 09:33 PM

I don't understand everyone's problem with having to buy another set of tools. If you're going to shell out the big money for a top-shelf racing buggy, fancy radio, servos, Spektrum, PT, nice engine, etc..., a few hex and nut drivers shouldn't matter one bit. It costs almost as much as a set of tires that might last 1 race...

For example, I used to only run Kyosho, OFNA, etc... so I had all metric stuff, until I got my first XXX-4. I gladly bought a full set of SAE tools for an ELECTRIC car. It makes you better prepared at the track with whatever car you may get further down the road, since you'll already have the tools and some spare hardware.

As far as coarse vs. fine thread goes... It'll be whatever the LOSI engineers find works best. They would know, they've been designing r/c cars for years.

Back on topic, does anyone know of any new 8 pictures?

Turbo Joe 05-08-2006 10:37 PM

Aaron,

I never called anybody stupid or said that it having SAE was stupid. I just asked a question...sorry for all the drama.

Pembalap 05-09-2006 12:19 AM

Well, I think Wood Screw/Self Tapping Screw and Machine Screw (M3, M4, 4-40, 5-40, 6-32, etc) serves a completely different application.

The Self tapping is a forming the thread by literally cutting the substance with it's widely spaced and sharp edges. This useful for softer material such as wood and sof Plastic.

While Machine screw is forming a thread by forcing it's thread to the surface. It is usefull for "Today's" Enginering Plastic that is widely used in our hobby (Composite Plastic)

In my opinion, the self tapping is not suitable for Composite plastic due to it's behaviour in forming the thread. It cuts the plastic and forming a weak thread if compare to the machine screws. On the other hand, Machines screws is forcing itself into the plastic and formed (not cut) a perfect thread to the plastic. It's like this, making a thread using a lathe machine and using a thread forming machine, it is clear that the thread made by Thread forming machine is stronger.

Other than that, a size 3mm (or similarly 4-40) machine screws if compare to self tapping screw is stronger. This is due to the Minor Diameter of a self tapping screw is much smaller that in machine screw of the same size. So, during a tensile test a machine screw have a better strength if compare to the self tapping screw.

So, why many vendor still using a self tapping screw, I think the reason is that because Self Tapping screw is marginally lighter so it is cheaper that Machined Screw.

I just want to point out that Self Tapping and Machine scews has it own benefit...

A.W

Aaron Waldron 05-09-2006 01:47 AM

Joe - Thank you. It was a blanket statement aimed at everyone who started making things escalate past a civil conversation.

Slobbatech - It's great to see you back to posting stuff that no one understands...hahaha

runnin rc10 - I'll post in my thread when I see it on the front page..haha. Losi will be coming out with more 1/8th scale tires when they get a few things sorted out in terms of making molds and stuff. I can't wait for more tires!

Pembalap - Nothing secret in the diffs as far as I know. It really seems like this buggy is what the evolution of the 1/8th scale buggy should've been, but there's nothing out of the ordinary, or questionable, on the car.

dirtracer - Thanks..I'm usually a pretty good mediator, hence being a moderator, haha. I've always had a way with words.

And you're probably right about Ginger, lmao.

WildChild 05-09-2006 03:36 AM

kinda feels like we are at a standstill...waiting on pix and video...i agree about the drama...if thats all there is to complain about...it just might be a defining moment at Losi...wouldnt be their first...

and i am buying a new buggy at the end of the season...wonder what it will be?

binaryterror 05-09-2006 05:10 AM

Aaron, when do you think we might be seeing more pics? Specifically in the area of the offset 3 gear diff input area.