R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Losi 8ight Pics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/109226-losi-8ight-pics.html)

squarehead 05-09-2006 06:16 AM

A $600 car with a $300 motor and $200 worth of electronics and you guys are bickering about a $25 screw kit and a few new tools?

This is awesome. :ha:

Pembalap 05-09-2006 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by binaryterror
Aaron, when do you think we might be seeing more pics? Specifically in the area of the offset 3 gear diff input area.

An Exploded diagram of the car would be nice.... :nod: :nod: :nod:
But I doubt Team Losi have that already...

A.W

Turbo Joe 05-09-2006 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
A $600 car with a $300 motor and $200 worth of electronics and you guys are bickering about a $25 screw kit and a few new tools?

I don't buy new electronics, motors, hardware and screws and tools for every car I buy...I buy good stuff and move it from one car to the next. Further...buying a complete screw set for a 1/8th scale buggy isn't $25, neither is a good set of tools.

Nobody is bickering about this car or any car, I just said that the SAE thing is one of the reasons...probably the biggest one...that I (that means ME, not you) have never really gotten into Losi. I've had them on the counter a few times...even bought a few used cars and tried them out and sold them.

It's not just screws, it's bearings, shims, assorted hardware, tools and everything else...I've had/bought/sold enough cars in the last couple years that I have what I need to race/maintain ANY metric car. If it's not a big deal to you, then good for you....it's not really a HUGE deal to me, but it is something I consider when buying cars.

WildChild 05-09-2006 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I don't buy new electronics, motors, hardware and screws and tools for every car I buy...I buy good stuff and move it from one car to the next. Further...buying a complete screw set for a 1/8th scale buggy isn't $25, neither is a good set of tools.

Nobody is bickering about this car or any car, I just said that the SAE thing is one of the reasons...probably the biggest one...that I (that means ME, not you) have never really gotten into Losi. I've had them on the counter a few times...even bought a few used cars and tried them out and sold them.

It's not just screws, it's bearings, shims, assorted hardware, tools and everything else...I've had/bought/sold enough cars in the last couple years that I have what I need to race/maintain ANY metric car. If it's not a big deal to you, then good for you....it's not really a HUGE deal to me, but it is something I consider when buying cars.

now i feel like a fish flipping back...the metric thing...its nice to bum a bearing or other hardware from fellow racers...i agree with joe...never thought about everything else...and i agree that it will not have any performance gains or loss...just a different beast...but it is a bit harder to race when you have the only (insert name)...but on another note...if this chassis catches on...then it will not be an issue...there will be plenty of people to help out...???

Aaron Waldron 05-09-2006 12:26 PM

Losi stuff is pretty easy to find and their kits have always been popular, I think it will be fine. Losi has always been good about making sure hobby stores have parts to sell along with their kits.

Joe - I understand your point. Losi's faithful customers will feel the same way as they move their SAE hardware from other Losi cars over to the 8IGHT.

What are pictures and video going to do, other than give people more ammo to complain on the internet? Let them worry about putting kits together and getting ready to ship production stuff. Even the cars at RCX had prototype stuff on them. There are bigger things to worry about...like meeting a release date!

Turbo Joe 05-09-2006 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
Joe - I understand your point. Losi's faithful customers will feel the same way as they move their SAE hardware from other Losi cars over to the 8IGHT.

I'm sure that's true...though i wonder if it's really going to have the same hardware as a Losi TC or buggy. It would take a ton of 4-40 screws to hold a buggy together...LOL

EricF 05-09-2006 12:57 PM

Aaron... What hrdwre does the LST come with?

T-Joe... I'd think that they would most likely use 5/40 instead of 4/40 for an 1/8. In which case you'd use a 2mm or 5/64 allen driver. which since your metric based, you already have one.

Buying more bearings, shims, assorted hardware, tools seems trivial. How many of you guys actually keep a full set of spare bearings for your car? you may keep extras for the clutch bell but I'm sure not more than that.

Next subject... or better yet lets complain about the PLASTIC shock towers some more :rolleyes: :weird: :D

E

Aaron Waldron 05-09-2006 01:45 PM

Joe - There will be screws that are much bigger than 4-40, but rest assured that some of the tools and miscellaneous hardware laying around will be used in various places on the new buggy.

Eric - I THINK the LST uses a bunch of SAE stuff? Not sure.

The plastic shock tower comment was pretty funny :-). The towers on the car at RCX looked great, hard anodized and machined, good stuff.

Turbo Joe 05-09-2006 02:30 PM

I know that most of the LST is metric...I used LST bearings and shims in my TNX....lesse here...

Clicky-click...Teamlosi website for LST2

Metric bearings, shims, washers, e-clips and locknuts...20mm (???) hex wheels.

SAE screws and e-clips.

Very curious mix indeed...LOL

Eric Swanson 05-09-2006 04:55 PM

This rig needs to be called "The Ocho". That's my only complaint! haha

dirtracer1 05-09-2006 06:34 PM

let's settle this sae vs metric thing once and for all.

you guys sound like a bunch of crybabys whinning about screws of all things. whaaaaaaa.....i like metric.......whaaaaaaa.....i like sae. let's move on for crying out loud. :cry:

you guys that like to use metric screws and tools....keep on using them on your metric equipped buggys if that's what you like.

you guys that like to use sae screws and tools.......keep on using them on your sae equipped buggys if that's what you like.

mean while......we'll be passing your butts with our sae equipped 8ight....if that's what you like. :lol: :ha:

yungox 05-09-2006 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by SlobbaTech
I'm with the group of people that think the more coarse threads hold better in softer materials than more smaller threads/surface area. If you were dangling from a cliff by a rope which was "anchored" to the ground, which option would you rather that rope be anchored to the ground with? A: The rope has 400 ft. of it's length just lying on top of the soft soil = a lot of surface area right??? Or this option.... B: The rope or tied to a 4x4 post staked 2 feet into the ground. It is a bit of an extreme type of case, but usually when you go to extremes with things that are in question it will allow you to see things a lot more clearly.

You are right... kinda. The only thing is that you are looking at it the wring way. In the same situation, consider the post that you mentioned and compare it to 15 smaller peices of wood inbeded 6 inces into the ground, which one would you prefer? I personally would take the 15 smaller peices to the one deep 4x4 simply because it spreads the resistance out more.

Aaron Waldron 05-09-2006 11:32 PM

I thought we (I) decided we were done arguing?

Joe - That's funny..I never thought of it that way.

Eric - Has that been part of the boycotts and demonstrations? Petition for a change of the name of the Losi buggy? LOL

binaryterror 05-10-2006 06:25 AM

Solution for the screw problem, since this is a higher end kit, why not throw in some TL Allen Drivers instead of those really lame "L" Allen wrenches. I'm not certain but I believe Xray includes a "free" set of Hudy drivers with their buggy. That would help the racers since the TL kit is $45, including it makes the buggy an even better buy.

I think what most of us in the SAE vs. Metric debate are saying is, this kit seems to be aimed at Electric racers who use SAE, who also seem to the the haters nitro. You'd hear the same controversy if the new XXX-CR was metric hardware throughout actually I think it'd be far worse.

Honestly you think because TL makes a buggy all the hardcore electric guys will run out and race 1/8th scale? Thats all they were waiting on was a US company they use in electric to make a buggy?

It is what it is, to be expected since its from TL. We can try to complain to change things but the RCX pictures show alot of finalized looking bits, so chances are this will be coming sooner than later.

I still want more pics...

Davidka 05-10-2006 08:35 AM

I would love it if the buggy came with a set of tools too. I don't see that happening though. I think it's pretty remarkable that the buggy's initial price is even with and even below that of the other competitive buggies out there. That is quite a trick for a made in the USA product. The Xray kit is super nice quality but it is boxed (I don't know where all of the components come from) in Eastern Europe. The others are made in Asia (I think most of the Japenese cars have a lot of Taiwanese made plastic too). Both of these places have very different economics than the USA. If Losi were to add the tools you can bet they would have to add $45 to the price.

Everybody has been screaming for a Losi made 1/8th buggy. Now it's almost here and it looks like it will be as good as we all hoped it would be. I think we should get behind it and support it by buying it and racing it. If you need an SAE tool and you race in my area, come on by my pit. I'll be happy to lend it to you.

I know what I'm getting for Christmas this year. :nod: