Search
Like Tree33Likes

1/10 4wd buggy for 2018

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
I asked Matt Wolter to provide a video on the shocks and tuning them... I was frustrated with the cap too, but after Joe Bornhorst showed me how hard you have to push them down counterclockwise until you feel a pop, then you can tighten the caps... if they don't go on smooth, then you have to "pop the cap" again until you get it right... I agree that the bleeder screws were probably too small and mine stripped out as well.... Joe suggested using CA glue to fix any stripped bleeder screws.

IMO... Aluminum Caps are a must, along with Lunsford turnbuckles and front sway bars... everything else is pretty darn competitive out of the box.

Is there such a thing as the "perfect kit"... I don't think so, but I think Tekno rises to the top of what's currently out there ... based on what I've seen locally when driving against drivers with comparable skill who run the following brands locally (Tekno, XRay, Schumacher, Associated, Losi) ordered by my personal pecking order based on what I've seen of these cars locally when combining value, performance, durability and support for an overall best personal choice.
Oh totally anyone building a new kit needs to get the aluminum caps first, or be prepared to take some time on the shocks lol. I can't imagine the plastic caps will always be like this though. There has to be some adjustment to the plastic that can be done at the factory to make the stock caps more viable, as it's actually what I prefer to run in a spec car rather than jumping to aluminum. And I for one do not have the hand strength to force the caps onto the thread so my particular shock build to more time than I had hoped even though I built it with all of the tips and tricks at my disposal. The CA glue trick though is definitely an easy and doable fix for anyone with stripped holes.
billdelong likes this.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You'd be crazy not to consider the XB4 18...
jpcopeland1 and billdelong like this.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Xray still at $519 and kyosho at $579 at amain. I think they need to get down from that high horse. There's nothing on a kyosho or xray that is so much better that justifies the higher cost. I think that besides the availability of parts and support the OP was considering value. And those two brands while ride good and build is of good quality... they are overpriced considering the other brands. just my 2 cents.

BTW. For been a newly released car, the support from tekno and after market has been awesome for the eb410. Car has a bright future.
Robbob, billdelong and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
Lol, you really don't like our plastic shock caps, I couldn't believe we were last place in the "building/assembly" section of your video.
The overall build is very good, I do like the way all the nuts and standoffs and such are captured. But I literally spent more time on the shock caps than anything else I can recall ever building, probably a good 30 min. on the bleeder o-rings and the the shock caps alone.

Also, made in Taiwan, not China, I believe all 3 are made in Taiwan.
My bad, I double checked, you're right!

Happy to get the overall pick!
You guys deserve it, the Tekno really is the best 4wd buggy (to me).
Old 12-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

To be fair, the XB4 comes loaded with all the carbon parts you could want. For the EB410 to come with the same amount of carbon it costs you this

I don't think Xray is on any high horse... If you add the aluminum caps throw in another 33.50$ putting you at 496.97$, 20 bucks less than the XB4 that needs nothing out of the box.
lagcisco, aeguy and jpcopeland1 like this.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Of course everyone is going to say the newest buggy is the best. Pick the one you have the most support for is my best advice. Stocking a complete replacement car in parts to race can get expensive, as well as getting setup advice. I am running the tlr22-4 2.0 (converted from 1.0). Its reliable, easy to get parts and easy to get support. It can be a chore to work on, but not the worst ever. I do like the quiet drive train, the wheels scrubbing the dirt makes more noise than anything else. Good luck
Old 12-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon
You'd be crazy not to consider the XB4 18...
I did not meant to disrespect Xray or Kyosho. It is my situation that Oline order or stacking parts is not possible at the moment. I'm not good driver, I break 1 or 2 part every track day. If I could get parts in track or local hobby shop, I would. Thank you.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

To be fair, the XB4 comes loaded with all the carbon parts you could want. For the EB410 to come with the same amount of carbon it costs you ....

I don't think Xray is on any high horse... If you add the aluminum caps throw in another 33.50$ putting you at 496.97$, 20 bucks less than the XB4 that needs nothing out of the box.
I agree.... I was shunned from the EB410 thread for even hinting that I wanted a "Team Driver" kit which included all the upgrades in a bundle deal to help save the expense of chunking "Basic" parts for stronger/lighter upgrades.

It's really splitting hairs to say which car is better, each has their own strengths and weakness along with comparable up front cost when stacking up feature for feature.

I don't think anyone can go wrong with either choice but for me the final tipping point which pushed me over to Tekno was price for spares tend to be a little less expensive, especially with the 50% Lifetime Warranty deal.

However...I'm seriously considering to come back to 2WD and will more than likely get an XB2 in the not too distant future

Last edited by billdelong; 12-06-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

D413 is $199.00 shipped on eBay right now. Exotek steering rack and spur gear and your are good to go out and win races. Best price for 4w racing right now.
tc5 man, Panic09 and 90sRacer like this.

Last edited by Cameron Kellogg; 12-06-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Tech Prophet

If your looking for value for a 4wd buggy cant go wrong with the D413 the quality isn't bad yes they get sloppy but makes them easier to drive if you find there to twichy on the steering. Just change the ackerman plates to #5 dots or the Schelle +4 chassis, the support is there more than a few online shops and Ebay but its a pretty tough buggy .
Old 12-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The chassis not to mention has been in the top three at the Ifmar Worlds in 2013 2015 and 2017. Various chassis layouts but same suspension and drivetrain.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Phat-Boy
I did not meant to disrespect Xray or Kyosho. It is my situation that Oline order or stacking parts is not possible at the moment. I'm not good driver, I break 1 or 2 part every track day. If I could get parts in track or local hobby shop, I would. Thank you.
No worries, I'm not trying to sound defensive. What cars are you driving that you break so often? I seriously can imagine you've driven an XB4 or XB2 and have broken it 1-2 times every track day.

Anyways, I hope you find the car that best suits you.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

To be fair, the XB4 comes loaded with all the carbon parts you could want. For the EB410 to come with the same amount of carbon it costs you this
Of course if you add all the option parts the price is going to go up but are they necessary? No. I raced my EB410 box stock and non of those parts were necessary to be competitive. Reality is that xray, kyosho and even yokomo are expesive kits and expensive to maintain. If I try to fill a tackle box of spares for an xray like I have for the tekno I would spend double on just spares.

Just a small comparison for common parts found on anyones spare parts box...

I specifically picked this two parts because I have a friends that broke two arms on his xb4 2018 this past sunday, One on practice and one on the main. And another friend broke the stock plastic tekno tower. So, they should be common parts found on anybody's parts box.
So, Yes they are riding a high horse...
Old 12-07-2017, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

You do realize Xrays parts aren't manufactured asia, hence higher costs? Also, we were comparing the cost of the kit and what you get with it. The XB4 comes with the carbon goodies that the EB410 does not. Apples to apples... And comparing how someone you now who breaks stuff regularly (assuming) to yourself is not "apples to apples." I could compare myself with another EB410 driver and tell you all the stuff he's broken yet I've broken 1 arm and 1 rear hub going back to the 16 model.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok. Let me put it easier. I guess You don't get the point.
If I only have $550 to spend given that I already have electronics, wheels/tires, paint, etc... I can either pick an eb410, b64d, d413 or a tlr and have enough to buy spare parts and race the next day. You cannot do that with either kyosho, xray or yokomo. The amount of carbon or bling goes out of the window when compared performance out of the box between the mentioned kits. They all perform really good out of the box and the extra stuff is non necessary. That is apples to apples. How does it perform out of he box vs cost. Remember that the OP doesn't race for rc America and doesn't get a discount. Another comparison is the Hudy brand tools..... compare a set of those vs a set of MIP. Is all eye candy, that's all it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.