Like Tree1Likes

AX10 Multi Purpose Build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default AX10 Multi Purpose Build

Starting with an AX10 Ridgecrest. Hoping to build something I can use for FOFF, Trail Running, light Crawling and a bit of bashing. No competitions...
I know there is no crawler that will exceed in all the categories, but hey...it's only fun if we try, right?

Added Hot Racing Rock Racer Chassis, Hot Racing Steering and Suspension Links, Hot Racing high clearance front knuckles(which seem pointless?) and a steel Center Shaft. Electronics are now a Sidewinder SV3, a Tacon 2P 1300kv Motor and a Savox SW1210SG running 3s lipos.

(the new motor/esc aren't pictured)

So far so good from a looks perspective, but it drives like crap. The whole car torques left and right whenever i gas it, and it's very VERY SLOW for how hard it's torquing. Any more speed and I feel like the thing will just topple over. I want to tighten the springs, but feel like I will lose a lot of the crawlability as it does good in articulating for good gripping as it is now. When I pick it up and shake it, the wheels flop around like a rag doll...love(for crawling)/hate(for everything else) situation currently. I guess this is where I separate the crawler from the rock racer, or could there be a sweet spot in mounting the suspension I still need to find, or new shock sizes maybe? I've got plenty of holes to choose from still(that's what she said).

On to the durability factor. I know I'm going to need to bullet proof the drivetrain completely if I want to continue to run brushless and go a bit faster. My dilemma here is; full transmission as a complete steel/alum unit for approximately $100....or just the three main steels gears for $35?

More to come I'm sure....we haven't even began having fun with wheels/tires, weighting or length of shocks yet. This looks like it will be a good winter project!

Thanks in advance, I'm new to this side of RC, so please excuse any extreme or basic oversights.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have an extra set of 2.2 wheel weights. If needed. I have an ax build going now I just haven't started a thread. It has the integy cage on it. Torque twist is brutal on every crawler I have. Heavier weight shock oil helps a bit. Alot if guys are limiting travel internally on the shocks. Couple of "fixes"out there but I want the same everything on 4 corners so I try not to romp it off the line.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

What weight oil would you recommend? I'd guess it's 30wt right now, but I didn't put it in so not sure. Romping off the line will most certainly be necessary.

Hop in the thread with some pics! I'd like to see it for comparison of the geometry, might be interesting to see the differences and with the pros cons. I'd take ya up on the weights, but I have oodles of them laying around from other builds so good on that, but thanks!
Old 11-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

I'll get some when finished. Is not set up right for my taste. I traded into it. And I'll have 2 chassis. The integy tuber and the aluminum ax with front grange extension kit from proline and the upright body post kit from proline. I also just ordered a set of big bores fir it 105mm.I'm running 98mm aluminum links for now but may end up way longer
Old 11-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Oh oil weight. ......I would go twice as thick on the torque side. I honestly haven't tried it as of yet. But I'd try that first and reference from there. Oh some are using different springs as well
Old 11-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Thinking of going that route with the shocks, but probably with a whole new set. I went ahead and got all of the gears and a new slipper coming so we should be good on the brushless. Next up is shocks. Assuming that with all the mounting options, longer is better to increase total travel? I'll probably toy with the oil weights in the meantime to see what difference it makes. Will keep ya posted.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Well if you want long lol mine has 130mmi believe now. I feel is a bit much. I just grabbed those big bores from ebay for around 15.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Need to stand those shocks up more. It'll help. More they lay down softer they are. I mostly run Losi threaded body shocks or traxxas aluminium ones. And 45wt oil. I have been running stock input shaft and gear with the axial robinson racing hardened center gear and output shaft/gear in many builds. Has been bulletproof for me.
kronyck likes this.

Last edited by hotrod87; 11-03-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Just post the pics flou, it doesn't need to be finished...id really like to see 130mm shocks on for reference at least??

Do you have a recommended location hotrod? I was initially going to stand them up high, bu the stockers mess the geometry of the new chassis up and I end up with my servo pointing at a forward/down angle of about 45 degrees, and if I mount them up too high the driveshaft falls right out....that's why I was thinking of getting another pair, but 10-20mm longer. Would it have any major disadvantages?
Old 11-04-2015, 03:53 AM
Tech Master

Ok here it is as I got it
Attached Thumbnails AX10 Multi Purpose Build-2015-11-04-05.52.13.jpg  
Old 11-04-2015, 04:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Nice start flou.

You want to keep the pinion shaft parallel with the ground if possible otherwise it affects steering. I'd try to get shocks mounted in the middle of the upper mount section if possible. Maybe look at a set of crawler king shocks or at least that length. I am no expert but have built many different setups.and can tell you anything you do that makes it better at one thing will suffer something else. A foff needs stiffer suspension to handle power and speed in my opinion. I am building one out of a wraith now to see how that works. I run a basher wraith at the moment thats a blast. Had to stiffen the suspension so it doesnt crawl as well but trails nice and handles speed ok. Just don't try and turn sharp. Torque twist still yanks one front tire up first but its a blast on 3500kv 2 pole and 2s.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

The shocks on it now are around 130mm and have very very stiff springs.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Flou, that's going to be a really cool rig! Is that a scorpion? I really like the chassis, and how high it sits.

Hotrod, do you think I'll be safe bumping up to 115mm or maybe even 120mm adjustables? I know I'm going to have to tweak a few things every time I "change genres of crawling", but what do you think would be best from a length and mount perspective that would be a good happy medium?
Old 11-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Yes it's one of 2 scorpions I have. I don't like the height so much. I'm dropping 25mm in shock length. And I may not keep the cage. I bought the kits to run normal truck bodies in the stock ax chassis
Old 11-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

i have a bunch of stock parts in practically new condition if you want em....

so you have the opposite problem I have...i think 110mm might be the sweet spot? i kind of like the way it sits up high, but that's just my opinion!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.