Wiki Posts
Search

Official Axial SCX10 thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Official Axial SCX10 thread

Other secions have official threads, who not the Crawler secion. Maybe it'll cut down on repeat threads too

So pictures, questions, tips, dissussions, post here

My tip, if you're building the Trail Honcho kit, the ball joint AX80032 #1 (part #1 on the tree) is the same as AX80005 #1. The manual will refer to them as 80032 the whole time

Also, when filling the shocks, I put the shaft half way in, then filled with oil. Move up and down to remove air. When you're ready to top off the oil, push the shaft all the way in then fill the rest of the way. I found that if the shaft was all the way out when you put the cap on, then press the shaft it, it was hard to make it bottom it out, then it would push itself out

Lastly, be a little conservative with the grease, you don't get a lot for some reason. You hardly use the thread lock, the shock oil bottle is huge and you barely use any of that, but I want to grease the gears really well and I can't

Can't wait to finish it and run it
Old 10-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Here's mine. its the Honcho just with the proline 72 Bronco body. No mods, just box stock and waterproof.

Last edited by scotty-j; 10-01-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If i want just a little bit more travel, what do you guys think? go with 100mm shocks? or run the ax10 shocks? im running 1.9s now, i have 2.2s as well but i dont really like them. i just want more flex
Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yah, I need more in the front. Actually, I need to adjust the preload is all, woo!

Just finished putting in all the electrics tonight and took it for a test run. Not a lot of low end torque with the stock gearing, so may need to get a new spur and pinion

And the nylock comes off the slipper if you punch reverse too hard :P
Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

with the ax10 shock run the softest springs to get like a 30% droop
Old 10-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dezertranger96
with the ax10 shock run the softest springs to get like a 30% droop
hows the travel with these shocks? will i get a little more flex?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Well just ordered a set of brand new stock ax10 shocks off of ebay! Well
See how it turns out. If I don't like them I'll
Have them up for sale shortly after.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turbotron
If i want just a little bit more travel, what do you guys think? go with 100mm shocks? or run the ax10 shocks? im running 1.9s now, i have 2.2s as well but i dont really like them. i just want more flex
Have you removed the bump stops from the stock shocks, as that will give a bit more flex...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by waggaclint
Have you removed the bump stops from the stock shocks, as that will give a bit more flex...
have not done that yet
Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by turbotron
Are you still running the stock 3 link suspension? Changing to a 4 link front and rear will help with the flex and helps remove a lot of the torque twist as well.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Armistice
Other secions have official threads, who not the Crawler secion. Maybe it'll cut down on repeat threads too

So pictures, questions, tips, dissussions, post here

My tip, if you're building the Trail Honcho kit, the ball joint AX80032 #1 (part #1 on the tree) is the same as AX80005 #1. The manual will refer to them as 80032 the whole time

Also, when filling the shocks, I put the shaft half way in, then filled with oil. Move up and down to remove air. When you're ready to top off the oil, push the shaft all the way in then fill the rest of the way. I found that if the shaft was all the way out when you put the cap on, then press the shaft it, it was hard to make it bottom it out, then it would push itself out
If you scew down the cap as you slowly compress the shock you should be good to go. The shock shaft should only rebound a little over half way when your done.
Lastly, be a little conservative with the grease, you don't get a lot for some reason. You hardly use the thread lock, the shock oil bottle is huge and you barely use any of that, but I want to grease the gears really well and I can't
Pick up some Lucas Red and Tacky from Wal*mart or your local auto parts store for the axles and trans. Coat everything real good and if you plan on running in wet conditions, pack the trans and axle cases full of the red and tacky.

Can't wait to finish it and run it
The SCX10 is one of the best platforms to build on.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm having problems with the Nylock nut on the slipper. If put in a hard reverse, it backs the nut off. I've tightened the nut as much as I could, and still let the plates slip, but it'll still backs off. I really don't want to have to play Eye Spy looking for 2 washers, a nut, and a spring

Anyone else have problems with this?

Also, my front links barely hit the crossmember above it at full bump, or it barely hits the servo mounts if flexed all the way (one tire up, one down). Not a big concern(doesn't inhibit flexing), but was just a thought when someone mentioned taking out the bumpstops on the shaft. Some slight trimming may have to be done

Last edited by Armistice; 10-06-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: clearance question
Old 10-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by transambill
Are you still running the stock 3 link suspension? Changing to a 4 link front and rear will help with the flex and helps remove a lot of the torque twist as well.
i am running a 4 linked rear. i had no idea i could run a 4 link front? i have a hand bros servo mount so i thought that would get in the way? school me please i like what im hearing
Old 10-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default my honcho i was going to run 2.2 tires and deciding to stick with 1.9 to stay with

I was going to run 2.2 but decided to stayed with 1.9. For shocks ok going to get the aluminum stock shock bodies. I have a 27t HPI motor xl5 speedo. Havent put it on trail yet still adding and tuning.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by crash18
I was going to run 2.2 but decided to stayed with 1.9. For shocks ok going to get the aluminum stock shock bodies. I have a 27t HPI motor xl5 speedo. Havent put it on trail yet still adding and tuning.
that sounds like a good set up! yeah i have both set ups. to tell you the truth the truck crawls so much smoother with the 2.2s. im running a tekin 45t and a tekin fxr esc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.