Search

Official Axial SCX10 thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turbotron
i am running a 4 linked rear. i had no idea i could run a 4 link front? i have a hand bros servo mount so i thought that would get in the way? school me please i like what im hearing
Well your going to have to make a choice. Performance or scale looks.
While the hand bros kit looks more real/scale since it gets the servo off the axle it doesnt perform as good as the stock configuration with the servo on the axle. You can run the hand bros servo mount alone without the included drag link and still run a 4 link suspension. The thing is you still have to watch out for bump steer issues like the hand bros kit creates.
I bet now when you make a hard turn with the hand bros kit it allows the whole chassis to tilt.
Also, you dont need a ton of flex, thats for comp crawlers. The SCX10 is suppose to be used like a trail truck and those dont have a lot of flex in real life anyway. If you plan on running scale comps and are not a vey good diver then leave it the way it is with the hand bros kit and earn scale points with a chassis mounted servo. If your a good driver and dont need the aid of a few extra scale points or dont comp and just drive around on your own or with a few buddies then putting the servo back on the axle will increase your SCX10's crawling abilities.

If your not afraid of change and getting your fingers a little dirty you can also mirror the trans and that helps out on the perfomance a lot too.

Also I would not run 2.2's unless your building a monster truck. I know it's hard to beat the extra ground clearence the 2.2's give you but there not very scale. With the length of the axles and how close the chassi rails are together, 2.2's just look out of place unless your going for the monster truck look or running an 8th scale body. Remember the SCX10 is suppose to be a 10th scale rig and the 1.9's are as close to 10th scale wheel/tires as your going to get.

Last edited by transambill; 10-06-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: cause i can
Old 10-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone have an answer for the slipper gear drive shaft problem? I've tried some Googling, and I can't find anyone that has this problem. Did I install the gearbox wrong? Nothing's grinding or anything, it all works fine
Old 10-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Armistice
Anyone have an answer for the slipper gear drive shaft problem? I've tried some Googling, and I can't find anyone that has this problem. Did I install the gearbox wrong? Nothing's grinding or anything, it all works fine
I've never had or herd of this problem before but I mirror the trans on all my Axial based rigs so I cant see me ever haveing that problem.
Try that and see if your problem goes away.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Mirror? Like a second trans? Or just the one transe flipped, coz then the nut would come off if forward is punched, lol
Old 10-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/crawler-...10-thread.html
Old 10-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Whoops, maybe I'll see if I could get them merged. I only looked 2 pages back and saw nothing (assuming it'd be a hot thread, you know)
Old 10-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Mirror? Like a second trans? Or just the one transe flipped, coz then the nut would come off if forward is punched, lol
What you do to mirror the trans is pull the two halves of the trans case apart and flip the top shaft(the one the slipper attaches too)and put it back together. When your done and everythings back together the pinion gear will be pointing towards the front of the rig insted of towards the rear.
It's really really easier to do than it sounds and the benefits out way the hassle. Dont forget to change the motor direction on your radio or ESC or if running brushed you can just swap places with the red and black motor wires.

Also replace that nut. It sounds like the nylon insert is worn out.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by transambill
What you do to mirror the trans is pull the two halves of the trans case apart and flip the top shaft(the one the slipper attaches too)and put it back together. When your done and everythings back together the pinion gear will be pointing towards the front of the rig insted of towards the rear.
It's really really easier to do than it sounds and the benefits out way the hassle. Dont forget to change the motor direction on your radio or ESC or if running brushed you can just swap places with the red and black motor wires.

Also replace that nut. It sounds like the nylon insert is worn out.
Hmm, I'll look into it. EDIT: Just thought about it, the pin that goes into the inner slipper plate would still give me the same length of that shaft, so that wouldn't allow the nylock to go on more...

And no, the nut is fine. There's just not enough thread on the gear drive shaft to get into the nylon. A poor, easily fixable, design flaw on Axial's part

Another flaw, the bolt that connects the servo horn to the steering linkage hits the crossmember above it, and the shock is still about 10mm from bottoming out. And it's not a little, the whole head is hitting

Due to that, I think I cracked a gear inside the servo. Have a click and jerking when turning left, prob due to that horn bolt hitting when I jumped it

Last edited by Armistice; 10-07-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Well your going to have to make a choice. Performance or scale looks.
While the hand bros kit looks more real/scale since it gets the servo off the axle it doesnt perform as good as the stock configuration with the servo on the axle. You can run the hand bros servo mount alone without the included drag link and still run a 4 link suspension. The thing is you still have to watch out for bump steer issues like the hand bros kit creates.
I bet now when you make a hard turn with the hand bros kit it allows the whole chassis to tilt.
Also, you dont need a ton of flex, thats for comp crawlers. The SCX10 is suppose to be used like a trail truck and those dont have a lot of flex in real life anyway. If you plan on running scale comps and are not a vey good diver then leave it the way it is with the hand bros kit and earn scale points with a chassis mounted servo. If your a good driver and dont need the aid of a few extra scale points or dont comp and just drive around on your own or with a few buddies then putting the servo back on the axle will increase your SCX10's crawling abilities.

If your not afraid of change and getting your fingers a little dirty you can also mirror the trans and that helps out on the perfomance a lot too.

Also I would not run 2.2's unless your building a monster truck. I know it's hard to beat the extra ground clearence the 2.2's give you but there not very scale. With the length of the axles and how close the chassi rails are together, 2.2's just look out of place unless your going for the monster truck look or running an 8th scale body. Remember the SCX10 is suppose to be a 10th scale rig and the 1.9's are as close to 10th scale wheel/tires as your going to get.
you hit it dead on with the steering issue that my hand bros gives me. the truck does tilt quite a bit, and it feels like it now has weaker seering. i do not have the factory servo mount so Im going to buy one now. so can i use the axial axle trus that i have on the rear also on the front with the factory mounted servo? im sure i will like this set up more than my 3 link and cms. i want the stock location servo and also the 4 link in the front.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by turbotron
you hit it dead on with the steering issue that my hand bros gives me. the truck does tilt quite a bit, and it feels like it now has weaker seering. i do not have the factory servo mount so Im going to buy one now. so can i use the axial axle trus that i have on the rear also on the front with the factory mounted servo? im sure i will like this set up more than my 3 link and cms. i want the stock location servo and also the 4 link in the front.
Myself, I'm not a big fan of Axial's 4 link mount. It's plastic and I hate attaching anything to plastic. Just pick up an aftermaket servo plate for an Axial axle and it will have the holes in it to mount your upper links.
The stock servo plate is small and is only big enough for the servo itself and doesnt have the extra length to it with holes for your links.

Heres an example of what you need,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STRC-Axial-A...item4aae6a158f

You see where the hardware is attached to the plate in the auction link?
Those two sets of 3 holes are attachment points where you attach your links when changing to a 4 link setup.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Myself, I'm not a big fan of Axial's 4 link mount. It's plastic and I hate attaching anything to plastic. Just pick up an aftermaket servo plate for an Axial axle and it will have the holes in it to mount your upper links.
The stock servo plate is small and is only big enough for the servo itself and doesnt have the extra length to it with holes for your links.

Heres an example of what you need,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STRC-Axial-A...item4aae6a158f

You see where the hardware is attached to the plate in the auction link?
Those two sets of 3 holes are attachment points where you attach your links when changing to a 4 link setup.
wow i really like that mount, so i just bought it . so i can actually mount my servo to this? and like you said just buy another link since i already have one with my 3 link set up and mount it directly to that plate as well as the servo? sounds like a bad a$$ set up. im excited to do this, thanks for the help man.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is anyone running a diff gearing that stock? I'm looking into a 48p 96T spur and 10t pinion

What would running a 32 pitch accomplish over a 48p?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

In my local hills. Paint is not done yet though. Anyway, here's some fun. First shot was in the riverbed, and the rest were on a small hiking trail

If anyone in Corona, Norco, Riverside area would like to check it out or maybe do a meetup, I'd be glad to show you around. There're only 3 obstacles that are impossible to do out of this 1/4mi trail (2.5 scale miles): a tree trunk, a vertical face, and a super steep slickrock climb

Whoops. This tree was impossible. A little "trimming" would make it possible, yet still challenging

Awesome little spring. I'm not waterproofed, but there wasn't even enough water pooled to make any kind of splash, so I had no prob with going through it

Slickrock wasn't a problem going up with wet, muddy tires

Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

In my local hills. Paint is not done yet though. Anyway, here's some fun. First shot was in the riverbed, and the rest were on a small hiking trail

If anyone in Corona, Norco, Riverside area would like to check it out or maybe do a meetup, I'd be glad to show you around. There're only 3 obstacles that are impossible to do out of this 1/4mi trail (2.5 scale miles): a tree trunk, a vertical face, and a super steep slickrock climb

Whoops. This tree was impossible. A little "trimming" would make it possible, yet still challenging

Awesome little spring. I'm not waterproofed, but there wasn't even enough water pooled to make any kind of splash, so I had no prob with going through it

Slickrock wasn't a problem going up with wet, muddy tires

ill be moving back to Riverside in april if all goes well. lol so if you still have your truck ill hit you up
Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks like you still have the overspray film on that body.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.