Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Carcar

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Been reading thru the options and topics and I think the next AGM will be very interesting to par take in. I've been away for a while, mostly due to my schedule. Things this year should be better for me. Been thinking about an F1, but wouldn't want to invest if the numbers aren't there. Setting a schedule prevents any ambiguity, which is crucial in knowing what to bring for race nights. I also like adjusting the terms for qualifiers and race. It again removes any ambiguity.
Setting the stage for new racers, making mini the attractive/introductory class is what is needed, not fixing broken c-hubs. Cars break, which is inevitable, however starting with one that can survive is the way to keep people interested. Given the downturn, income could be a challenge for many, but making it fair and fun should entice and increase attendance. Based on advice given on the example by Aaron/Kerry to start with Mini, the same message should be communicated, regardless of who is sharing it. Having a schedule reminds people of it, again reinforcing the message.

Filling the drivers stand with children who remind and nag their parents to take them to the club is one way to increase attendance. Make it fun for them, and they will come. To make the introductory class attractive, you need the experienced drivers running them too, which demonstrates that Mini is cool too. There is nothing wrong with racing a slower class, a race with this car or that car is still a race.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaxRain
Filling the drivers stand with children who remind and nag their parents to take them to the club is one way to increase attendance. Make it fun for them, and they will come. To make the introductory class attractive, you need the experienced drivers running them too, which demonstrates that Mini is cool too. There is nothing wrong with racing a slower class, a race with this car or that car is still a race.
just an FYI on this part, when I ask my son (who does enjoying driving his cars) if he wants to race Mini at the place with the picture of the mountains on it, he says no way.... but he says, can we race at the other place ?( he means KARZ)

I'm not sure what exactly the reasons for that are, late finish for sure is part of it though, as is the fact that KARZ splits the kids into their own heat if at all possible.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Oh please, not triple mains :-)

There was mention a few pages back about buying the LiveRC software to replace RC Scoring Pro. Not sure of the feature set that LiveRC has that we need, other than it being ‘neat’ or ‘cool’ - I don’t think our requirements have changed, so I see no need to change, but please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Cal mentioned that I was working on some scoring stuff, and I am, but it's not something that will come to fruition any time soon. I'm being intentionally vague, since I'm not sure we want to make public what we're working on. Not my call, but when I know more, you’ll know more.

As an FYI, I've constructed a web site (which is not released yet) which can (and does!) take all our our race results and make them available online. The bonus is that the system will automatically calculate point standings, so there will be no need to tabulate these things by hand. Yay!

The current version of the system only supports single-main races, so please don't vote to move to triple-mains :-) I'll have to spend more time developing, and I just got the darn thing done :-) The intention is to support as many scoring systems as I can, but right now RCSP with single-mains is the only thing it can handle right now.

BYW, I’m kidding about not doing triple-mains - everything is up for discussion, so let's discuss. That's the entire purpose of the AGM.

Regarding the time we spend racing, another feature of the site I've created is that I can quickly look at how much time we're spending not racing. If I look at the last three club races from last year, what I see is from the time the clocks starts on the first race until the completion of the last race, we spent 114m, 102m, and 112m NOT racing. The average round time on any given race night is about 40m. If we could take a bit of our 'idle' time (which does include warm up laps), it should be no problem to get the extra round in.

Time between races varies a *lot* - it went from just over a minute (and in some cases less, but rarely), to almost 9 minutes. That's a huge variation. It should be easy to gain enough time to do the extra round.

Other interesting things of note:

On any given race night, we put down between 4000-5000 laps on our carpet, excluding warm-up laps. For our WCICS race in March, that alone was 27000+ laps. Looking at this another way, one of our race nights is about 1/5 to 1/6 of a WCICS race. Not bad, really!

Overall, our race nights + WCICS = 118732 laps, 700 races (qualifiers and mains), with 4350 ‘entries’ by about 165 people.

I’ve got the app running on my tablet - I’ll bring that and, if anyone is interested, I can demo it.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It's probably because of the separate kids thing, during the afternoon, with a bunch of other kids, running around between their races. Karz encouraged that from the very start and will continue to, except for the part about the kids running around like sugared up hell spawn while others are racing. But hey, kids are kids, what can you do?

A lot of the ideas being tossed around today about focus are very on point. Pick something and stick to it. Doing otherwise has been problematic for both clubs in the past. Running one thing this week and another the next is more inclusive, but we have to face the fact that some classes just aren't self supporting. I felt this way about mini at Carcar last season, which is why I ran TC. I still don't like TC as much as I do mini, but that's the way the wind was blowing. If it blew 12th in as the dominant class, I'd have probably just quit, though.

We can't be everything to everyone. Try to maintain that and your only fighting yourself. We only need to keep most people happy, most of the time - lowest common denominator and all that. Think about fart jokes. Most people, from a billionaire to a homeless guy loves a fart joke. If you don't, we wouldn't want you around anyway. NOTE:I was going to go with a Schmoo analogy here, but I realized I'm old and most people wouldn't relate to that.

Gawd, I'm bored. Need to race!

Last edited by monkeyracing; 09-01-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Needed more Schmoo
Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Looking for anyone who can help out with some CNC carbon fibre cutting. Broke a few things on my Xevo and that cars been off the market for years. I've got CAD files ready to go. Looked at Protospace, but don't they don't have what I need.
Hey Jim, did anyone get back to you? I may be able to help you out, as I just happen to have a CNC router. The problem is that I don' t have a proper CAD program, so I may not be able to generate the tool path files for my CNC.

But, we can try.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Yep. Ivan pointed me to a guy named Phil in Regina. Very nice work and affordable, too. If you do gain the ability to do some high tech whittling, please let me know. There's a bunch more I'd love to get carved up.

BTW: There is an aircraft interior fabricator in town that is willing to take on stuff like this. Not cheap, but enthusiastic. They're called Aerotex.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Hi All,

As some of you know, I come from a karting background and I think some of our programs could be beneficial to our RC racing.

1. The CKRC (Calgary Kart Racing Club) does a "Try-A-Kart program where we offer a chance for the public to come to our facility on a non-raceday to try our club owned karts for a fee. This program has done wonders for bringing new members to the club and has been a good fund raiser as well. Perhaps one Saturday a month could be promoted to do this with the club RC cars.

2. Our race schedule on the CKRC website has the race dates listed but we also use a Google Calendar to outline when and who is going to be the practice marshal and the track configuration. CARCAR could use this function to make it easier to spell out the classes to be run and on which dates.

3. Online registration thru motorsportreg.com has really helped streamline our registration process and the racers can see who else is showing up and what they plan to race. MSR is free to use if you do not plan to take online payment. MSR also has an easy racer entries download to the scoring system via a .csv file.

4. MyLaps can also host RC race results and has a new app called SpeedHive that you can track your individual results.

As a person with a multitude of RC cars, I would like to see the alternate classes (F1, 12th scale, CTA) being laid out in advance and in a regular rotation to keep things interesting.
I don't think going year around is the answer as most people have or want to start doing other things by the time the end of the season rolls around.

I cannot be at the AGM as I have a CKRC executive meeting tomorrow evening. Looking forward to getting back behind the transmitter wheel but you probably won't see me until the middle of October.

John K
Old 09-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That`s because kids like being with other kids. Alex loves going to Karz because as soon as he dumps his car at the pit table, he`s off playing with the other kids while the dads, charge, repair, clean....

Carcar is a challenge for us due to bed times and my work schedule but mostly because there is no kids class and until Alex has the skills to race with adults without spoiling their races, I don`t plan on letting him race outside of a kids class.

I`m not saying Carcar should have a kids class but if you want to grow the club, the next generation is certainly a good place to start !

Originally Posted by stulec52
just an FYI on this part, when I ask my son (who does enjoying driving his cars) if he wants to race Mini at the place with the picture of the mountains on it, he says no way.... but he says, can we race at the other place ?( he means KARZ)

I'm not sure what exactly the reasons for that are, late finish for sure is part of it though, as is the fact that KARZ splits the kids into their own heat if at all possible.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Karter44
That`s because kids like being with other kids. Alex loves going to Karz because as soon as he dumps his car at the pit table, he`s off playing with the other kids while the dads, charge, repair, clean....

Carcar is a challenge for us due to bed times and my work schedule but mostly because there is no kids class and until Alex has the skills to race with adults without spoiling their races, I don`t plan on letting him race outside of a kids class.

I`m not saying Carcar should have a kids class but if you want to grow the club, the next generation is certainly a good place to start !
There cant be a kids class with no kids, so first we need to get the kids out to enjoy mini, then separate the kids if the numbers are there.

At the meeting last night, we talked about a refocusing of mini. Its essential we make mini really inviting to all future members, as well as the kids. Key factor, your not spoiling anyone's race by letting Alex run at Carcar.

I think it's the shift in priorities that will help mini going forward. If your racing mini, and you get upset that a young driver (possibly long term member of the club) ruins your run, then you need to stop racing mini. Its supposed to be fun, a great place to learn to drive / race, and no one should feel worried about ruining someone's race. I think I speak for everyone in regards to the Carcar mini class, we would love to see Alex and other kids / new drivers out, enjoying the mini class. If your work schedule permits, bring him out Mark, and tell all the other kids with a mini
Old 09-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mark, I hope you change your mind on the subject. There is no reason why Alex couldn't come to Carcar and enjoy driving his mini. In my opinion, I would say driving with more experienced drivers will only help his driving.

I know when I started with an M03, I couldn't drive in a straight line to save my life (I still can't). I was awful. But as I drove with the faster guys, I picked up on how they did things and it helped my driving a lot.

ANYONE is more than welcome to come out racing at Carcar, and mini is an excellent class for new drivers, and experienced.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I should clarify. We (Alex and I) have always been welcomed at Carcar. My unwillingness to have him come is purely so that the adults can come and enjoy their mini racing without the issues that we are bound to have someone of his age and skill level is on track.

If we can get even a few more kids out and everyone involved is onboard with the concept that mini is where the kids are and there's GONNA be...uhhhh....incidents as a result, then alrighty then !
Old 09-03-2015, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont think any member of Carcar would be at all upset that new drivers would be coming and enjoying driving their cars. I promise you, Alex, nor anyone, would ever get in the way or hinder anyones race.

Please, dont feel Alex would be in the way, as he would not be at all!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wil02
Mark, I hope you change your mind on the subject. There is no reason why Alex couldn't come to Carcar and enjoy driving his mini. In my opinion, I would say driving with more experienced drivers will only help his driving.

I know when I started with an M03, I couldn't drive in a straight line to save my life (I still can't). I was awful. But as I drove with the faster guys, I picked up on how they did things and it helped my driving a lot.

ANYONE is more than welcome to come out racing at Carcar, and mini is an excellent class for new drivers, and experienced.
Matt, I mentioned this last night, and following on from what AJ said there about you need kids to come out, the main reason I cannot bring my 7 year to race nights at CARCAR is the finishing time.

Understand I'm not saying change that, but if you want kids to come race, some thought needs to go in as to how we can get them to race.

I know it's tough to please everyone though.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have noticed the same thing that Stu did. While schedules have not worked out because of Chase's soccer and now I'm working out of town again, Chase did not enjoy racing at CARCAR, he preferred to race at Karz. A lot of this was because of the off the track entertainment with the other kids, but he also felt intimidated going on to the track. He finished every race day with his mini at Karz but NEVER finished a race day with his mini at CARCAR. Why is that? It's because he kept hitting the boards because he was nervous about driving with the fast guys. Or he kept getting hit by the faster guys pushing him into the boards.

I saw his skills develop faster while racing at Karz because it is more laid back. Especially for the kids. AJ is right, if you want the kids, you have to target the kids. Kerry is right as well, having the kids at the track until midnight on a Friday and then have to get up on Saturday for something? Not fun for a parent.

That's the big appeal to Karz right now, at least for the parents.

Just an opinion from somewhat of an outsider looking in.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Okay, other than running the website, I'm not all that involved with Karz anymore, but I'm sure my opinion will still seem biased to many. That's your deal, not mine. The fact is we've got two clubs in the city. One that caters to racers and the other to racers. there's a difference and that difference can work to our advantage.

Guys with kids who can't stay out late: You have an option and you've all said that it works for you and your kids due to schedule, racing style and the ability to interact with other kids. That's great. It's in place, ready to go.

Serious racers: We have an awesome club for "grown ups" where we can stay out late, race fast cars and blow off steam. On top of that, there are two wide open practice nights every week. I can't imagine a better situation, save for having my own home track.

Both clubs have their strengths and weaknesses. Why don't we just stick to our strengths and not sweat the other stuff? Karz and Carcar both had off years for whatever reason. There's no reason they both can't thrive again like they did a few years ago.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 09-04-2015 at 01:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.