Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Carcar

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wil02
From what I have seen in my four years of racing, I would guess 75% of new drivers I have seen has started with a mini. I would think thats a strong enough point to at least warrant some effort put into mini.
There are many who are falling through the cracks. Pitting where we do, Kerry and I spoke to a few new faces last season. One guy, we explained the best way to get into rc racing, get a mini, have fun, learn to drive, but on that night IIRC, we had 4 minis racing. The TC stock class looked a lot more attractive, so he purchased a TC car against our advice. I saw him at practice a few nights, spending most of his time changing C hubs, because he was learning to drive with a fragile TC car and not a mini. Well, last time I spoke with that guy he wanted to know who wanted to buy his TC car. Another one lost. Big time focus on Mini is what is needed IMHO, it needs to look so attractive to race, that they refrain from purchasing a TC car first. This guy wasn't the first one to not listen to our advice on what to start with. Large numbers in mini, all with smiles on there faces is what is needed.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I don't think classes are a problem we simply need more butts in the seats. Our core classes always have been mini, stock, mod, by adding more classes kind of dilutes the fields, based on the dip in numbers we saw last year. I think we need to be less afraid of pleasing everyone and focus on the core classes. Those 3 classes offer enough variety to appeal to most everyone. If the number allow running f1 and 12th scale great, but we should really enforce the 5 cars class minimum. Just my thoughts
Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What we have talked about a couple times throughout the summer, is have a set schedule. The first two weeks we run stock, mod, 1/12, mini. The next two weeks, stock, mod, f1, mini. Flip it back and forth every two weeks. We are planning to have a calendar up on the website (carcar.ca) with a list of what classes will be run on that Friday. This was an idea we have thought about.

I like the idea brought up to keep the two class limit, plus mini. I agree with Aaron that we need to focus on mini. I also agree with Walter that there are too many damn classes.

I don't feel time was an issue at all last season. We took our time because there were only 4 or 5 heats.

I will say, there is a lot of interest out there about guys coming racing and joining our club. I have received well over 10 phone calls in the off season about info on our club. We have an updated website, we have facebook and instagram. Maybe we could hold a couple open house events on a Saturday this season at our facility?

Ultimately it is up to the club to vote on come Wednesday. Don't be late! We have a lot of things to discuss and Im sure we don't want to be there all night. It starts at 7!

Last edited by Wil02; 09-01-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sounds like there are a lot of good topics to discuss on Wednesday!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm afraid I may miss the meeting on Wednesday. Hoping for the best.

I recall we attempted scheduling classes last year. It was partially successful test run. It's a good idea to have a plan. The tricky part is the "too many damn classes" thing. You want to keep everyone happy, but it really comes down to keeping most people happy. This is going to annoy some, but greater good and all that.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I get what Kerry is saying. Tweaking the operation of race nights and the number of classes the current members run, is not exactly the same as getting more bodies into the building.

Fewer entries is the symptom. Fewer people is the cause. We can inflate entry numbers by having 10 ppl run 3 classes. But the club is actually stronger if 30 ppl run one class each.

Opening up the venue for other dates is a step towards remedying the cause - lower turnouts. If a dentist was only available on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday night, that dentist isn't maximizing his availability for new clients. It's definitely something to consider at the AGM.

Running year round is also something to consider. Rather than tell members to pack up and shut up for 6 months, why not run in a smooth parking lot? Touring car racing roots are in asphalt. It is also low maintenance as we do not need carpet or a click track. A push broom, ream a couple holes onto the lids of 2Litre coke bottles, pop up a canopy and start bbq'ing some burgers till the sun goes down. Exposure is the key. Laying dormant for 5 months prevents anyone from knowing we exist. Did I mention that Nitro touring cars are really fun?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

The main hurdle I see with a race date on the weekends is we aren't maximizing Friday night races right now, and if we did open up on the weekend, we would probably be more likely to loose some people on Friday nights, and spread the current attendance across two nights instead of one. Id like to see us work towards maximizing attendance on Friday nights, then look to open up another night. Another issue, will the HSC charge us more rent? Something to discuss Wednesday for sure. Id love Carcar to have a situation like Edmonton last season, having too many entries, and the issue of finishing too late on race night. That's a good problem to have!

Id love a return to outdoor. Location is the issue. Brad from Karz set up a race or two a while back and it was great fun. But finding a location, and the work involved, I can see why its been dormant. Loosing our trailer a few years back hurt. Id love to see us find/build something what Edmonton have. When you have a venue like that, its a lot easier to draw a crowd. Anyone know of an extra tennis court that no one wants??? Even if we kept it to elec for noise issues, it could be so much fun.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For the swap meet, does anyone have a Tamiya TA04 and Xray T1FK04? Doesn't have to be mint condition. Couple items I've been meaning to get a hold of for a while.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Any chance we can get an agenda for the AGM so we know what is going to be voted on?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

We will post up events from the AGM afterwards. We don't have an agenda set because anything can be discussed at the meeting.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by axle182
The main hurdle I see with a race date on the weekends is we aren't maximizing Friday night races right now, and if we did open up on the weekend, we would probably be more likely to loose some people on Friday nights, and spread the current attendance across two nights instead of one. Id like to see us work towards maximizing attendance on Friday nights, then look to open up another night..
the point about having a potential weekend was not to dilute the current night, but what about the people who are unable to make that night? is there another day that apeals to a whole new audience, but focusing on different classes, such as 1/12, mini cta vta. I dont know and was simply raising a point of discusion

friday nights are for touring car, and whats popoular, right now it seems to be F1. and can be rotated every other week for another support class, whether that be modified, 1/12th ect. some night we have seen f1 have bigger numbers than modified, so should that be a staple? with modified and 1/12th rotating. ( just closed questions )

Matt mentioned that they were thinking about having a set schedule this year and we went partially towards this after it was mentioned in the middle of last year to present a clear picture to those ahead of time, i like that and its a good direction and should be done on our website and not 2-3 days before race day on this forum as people dont have time to plan, by matt suggesting they are looking into this route then i assume they have the numbers to support a proper decision, interesting to see..... i would suggest having a 2-3 month schedule,this way we can adjust if needed.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Amen Kerry. I thought the same thing.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kerry
the point about having a potential weekend was not to dilute the current night, but what about the people who are unable to make that night? is there another day that apeals to a whole new audience, but focusing on different classes, such as 1/12, mini cta vta. I dont know and was simply raising a point of discusion
I know it wasn't the intention but could be a side effect that we should consider that all. That would be awesome if there is a new audience out there for sure. Sounds like Stu would be all over it. It would be good to see how it pans out with an additional night (or day), as others have suggested in the past that another 'main' race night might work for more people also.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I don't know if adding another race night would be a great idea. Karz is running races every weekend and this will help our numbers.

The way I see it is that Karz is a feeder for carcar, and we would not want to ruin that relationship by stepping on their toes. With CarCar running 3 days a week and Karz running 1. People have many changes to race if they want.

On the other hand.. Whatever is required to get more seats on race nights is the right move
Old 09-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
I know it wasn't the intention but could be a side effect that we should consider that all. That would be awesome if there is a new audience out there for sure. Sounds like Stu would be all over it. It would be good to see how it pans out with an additional night (or day), as others have suggested in the past that another 'main' race night might work for more people also.
I'd love the option, that's for sure.
As others have said, we have 2 other nights already.
What's to stop us trying (I repeat, trying) running say the Wednesdays as a non touring race night.
Like, mini, 12th and F1.
To me that could work on 2 levels, 1 to give people another night to race on if they can't make the main race night, and 2 a stepping stone race night to get into the hobby.

As others have said, lots of good discussion.
I'm going to try to come to the AGM, although I might not get to race much.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.