Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

Carcar

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Pete I'm just wondering why boosted. From the classes I see that ROAR is running they seem to have Mod and 17.5 blinky. Some of the other ROAR regional race classes I've seen are the same, so just wondering why boosted. Since we already have 10.5 motors, why not just have 10.5 non-boosted, which should be close to 13.5 boosted with out all the programing headaches. Just throwing it out there.
Just looking at some of the bigger venues, like the IIC and SnowBirds... 13.5 boosted is the popular in-between class. Also ROAR had offered that class at last year's carpet nats, although not at this year's in Houston for some reason.
In terms of speed, 10.5 boosted is a bit much for some racers, and 17.5 boosted seems a bit slow. Looking at the 1/12 scale field, it is not an entry level class anway like Mini is. 10.5 in blinky vs. 13.5 boosted... the latter aligns with the World GT class perfectly. A diehard pan car enthusiast would probably run both of those classes.

I think that's what's best for the series. If you were going to ask me what I'd like to run, personally it would be Mod TC and Mod 1/12.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pete I'm just wondering why boosted. From the classes I see that ROAR is running they seem to have Mod and 17.5 blinky. Some of the other ROAR regional race classes I've seen are the same, so just wondering why boosted. Since we already have 10.5 motors, why not just have 10.5 non-boosted, which should be close to 13.5 boosted with out all the programing headaches. Just throwing it out there.
Originally Posted by rc pete
Just looking at some of the bigger venues, like the IIC and SnowBirds... 13.5 boosted is the popular in-between class. Also ROAR had offered that class at last year's carpet nats, although not at this year's in Houston for some reason.
In terms of speed, 10.5 boosted is a bit much for some racers, and 17.5 boosted seems a bit slow. Looking at the 1/12 scale field, it is not an entry level class anway like Mini is. 10.5 in blinky vs. 13.5 boosted... the latter aligns with the World GT class perfectly. A diehard pan car enthusiast would probably run both of those classes.

I think that's what's best for the series. If you were going to ask me what I'd like to run, personally it would be Mod TC and Mod 1/12.
This is a Roar event that coming up next month with boosted 13.5 12th Scale: http://www.rctech.net/forum/canadian...coming-up.html

Personally, I like the WCICS the rules it is now in terms of all the classes except Mini. Don't get me started on that.

What class do you want to run this in?

Can someone please answer this question for this guy?
Bill is a new racer. He wants to use it in the TC class. I've referred it to Josh to answer this question. Maybe he might have missed this post. If the answer is no, I'll lend him a TC body anyways. He just wants to drive TC for the first time at a race.

Ivan
Old 03-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OWL 316
Ivan... I was out Jar Jar Binks training...

Josh... PM

Anyone know if I can run the Sophia body I have on my touring car next weekend, is it allowed... since it is not a touring body I guess...do no think it should matter since I am not going the way I drive and will not be in the top mains... but will change it if I have to...

Looking forward to WCICS all weekend !!!!!!

Bill <><
Bill, the 1/10 Sophia body is a 200mm pan car body, so, no you cannot run it. 1/10 electric TC run 190mm bodies. Car would not fit in the tech box.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Tech Master

I've already talked to Bill about the body rules, and also offered him my TC body if he doesn't have one. All good.

Big thanks to Pete, first guy to do it right. PM his rep with the issue, and raise the question on here to start discussion. We'll see where it goes. We've PM'd about it, and while at 2 of the WCICS cities there's only been one heat of each, all the rest have had more, and up to 14 heats in Vic (pan car territory).

Like Pete, I love the rush of 1/12 open, fastest class I've ever run, and a great challenge. But I can see his point that in some cities it's pretty low turnout.

Great example where there's no right or wrong answer, so discuss and if there's support for me bringing up the motion to combine both 1/12 classes into one 13.5 boosted class, I will cast Calgary's vote for it. If not, it stays the same.

Either way, thanks Pete.

Josh
Old 03-25-2012, 11:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
Personally, I like the WCICS the rules it is now in terms of all the classes except Mini. Don't get me started on that.
Aww, c'mon. Let loose with a twenty minute typing rant. Those are a hoot!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:13 AM
isb
Tech Adept

Default go pro cameras

Hey Guys I'm thinking of trying to put together a bit of video with the at school so if you have a go pro and would like to put it up around the track let me know. send me a pm and I'll explain further.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone have a spare Tekin RS they'd be willing to lend me for the weekend?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IronRing Racing
I've already talked to Bill about the body rules, and also offered him my TC body if he doesn't have one. All good.

Big thanks to Pete, first guy to do it right. PM his rep with the issue, and raise the question on here to start discussion. We'll see where it goes. We've PM'd about it, and while at 2 of the WCICS cities there's only been one heat of each, all the rest have had more, and up to 14 heats in Vic (pan car territory).

Like Pete, I love the rush of 1/12 open, fastest class I've ever run, and a great challenge. But I can see his point that in some cities it's pretty low turnout.

Great example where there's no right or wrong answer, so discuss and if there's support for me bringing up the motion to combine both 1/12 classes into one 13.5 boosted class, I will cast Calgary's vote for it. If not, it stays the same.

Either way, thanks Pete.

Josh

Yep this is a good topic. I like Pete's idea to go with one 12th class. Something fast enough to be interesting for the quick guys, but slow enough for the rest of us.
The problem for the reps is how to keep everybody happy. In Alberta going by participation combining the two classes looks like a good idea. But in Victoria they had so many entries in 12th that they ran a G main in 17.5 and down to a C in 10.5. The opinion of all the reps is very important, we dont want to mess with any events biggest classes.
Having said all that I do like the idea of a single class. I would also lean towards Gary's Blinkey 10.5 motor rather than boosted 13.5. Should be a bit slower, easier to handle for the majority.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This may be more relevant to club racing than the WCICS, but I think it's important to keep the speeds down and simplify the setup (non-boosted) to keep the class accessible for new blood. I would prefer to drive a slower car and have the class grow, rather than run in a stagnant class with only a few veteran drivers. There is a reason that mini and touring stock are the biggest classes in Calgary.

I saw this video of the 1992 IFMAR 1/12 worlds posted up a while ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aNnPMpLdLk

That's 6-cell mod world championships A-main on an enormous track. They're probably the fastest carpet cars of the day, and it looks maybe a shade faster than 17.5 boosted. The tech always advances, but a new racer's ability stays the same.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve S
This may be more relevant to club racing than the WCICS, but I think it's important to keep the speeds down and simplify the setup (non-boosted) to keep the class accessible for new blood. I would prefer to drive a slower car and have the class grow, rather than run in a stagnant class with only a few veteran drivers. There is a reason that mini and touring stock are the biggest classes in Calgary.

I saw this video of the 1992 IFMAR 1/12 worlds posted up a while ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aNnPMpLdLk

That's 6-cell mod world championships A-main on an enormous track. They're probably the fastest carpet cars of the day, and it looks maybe a shade faster than 17.5 boosted. The tech always advances, but a new racer's ability stays the same.
You're spot on, Steve. The stock/limited classes is the best way to grow the sport. Mini and Stock TC have been the bread and butter of our club and that will and should continue to be the case.

But it's sure nice to have a class like Super Stock or Mod, even though not as popular with everyone, where you can drive the wheels off the thing at rediculous speeds. Here's a race from over a year ago, with Hara hitting 115 km/h with his Mod boosted TC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhYhrkrqwWs
Old 03-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We have to get Bill one of those!

Reminds me of the velodrome runs. One mistake and your car/electronics is a complete write-off.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Cool video, Steve. Mullets and moustaches all around!

I would agree that, for club racing, having an entry level 12th scale class is important. Once you've driven really fast, the 17.5 cars might seem slow, but to a new guy, or someone who just walked in the door to spectate, they're blindingly fast. Even when I had both eyes and my hands worked, a 12th scale car was an intimidating thing.

The only suggestion I'd have for 12th scale is drop the heats down to the same 5 minutes as everything else or increase the duration of all the other classes.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc pete
But it's sure nice to have a class like Super Stock or Mod, even though not as popular with everyone, where you can drive the wheels off the thing at rediculous speeds. Here's a race from over a year ago, with Hara hitting 115 km/h with his Mod boosted TC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhYhrkrqwWs
Pete your not driving your TC SS hard enough then. Coming onto the straight, i let it drift a little wide towards the outside board, still fully pinned, climbed the outside rail just as the boost went crazy, hit a table sitting at an angle, and up she went lol. Surprisingly, nothing broke on the car, a couple of bent body posts. But the battery came out, and broke half the casing off it lol. Glad no one got hit!

Pete if your wanting to go faster than SS, dont be surprised your the only one left running after 3 minutes I do agree though, it is damn exciting to race at those speeds I can remember when the 10 pan open cars would get a little air under the front of them over a bump in the straight That was the ultimate 'hang on' class
Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
The only suggestion I'd have for 12th scale is drop the heats down to the same 5 minutes as everything else or increase the duration of all the other classes.
I totally agree with this. 8 min mains tho. Only issue is heat, the cars are setup according to what temp the motor comes off, after a full 8 minute run. We may find a few cars overheating, if there is no 8 min qualifier. Still, it would save everyone a few minutes a night.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

We have to get Bill one of those!

Nay... still a bit slow for my liking...

Wow those are fast, what an awesome track too, when do we get one here, it would be fun to shovel the snow off of...... one roll and parts all over the place...

Hope we have some battles at WCICS like the 12th scale race, so close...

Bill <><

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 3.81 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.