TQ RC RACING in Chino, California >

TQ RC RACING in Chino, California

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree348Likes

TQ RC RACING in Chino, California

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Racers - As a reminder with this Sunday being the grand finale of the summer series and lots of racers getting ready for IIC, I would expect for TQ to have a full house on Sunday. Please keep pit spaces down to a minimum. If you have excess gear please place it underneath the tables rather than in the adjacent pit space.

The more the better, see ya Sunday!
Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
The most important thing is not to chase away any 1/12 drivas

However
17.5 TC & 1/12 around most of the country is open to all levels
Thus heats & mains are packed, with the cream rising to the top

This is how I started in RC
There was no eXpert class, World & National champs competed at the club level, even in the stock (27t) class at times
I got lapped a lot at first
How else can you learn to improve without that carrot ahead

Some class separation isn't necessarily a bad thing
But I never quite understood the sandbag moniker, aside from racing in a true novice class

13.5 is fine, it's fun
Hope more will join, but there is a reason 17.5 is healthy

Would some of the new drivers be more comfortable in a 1/12 novice class ?
I thought about 1/12th but seeing the comp at TQ I would be a speed bump. Having to pull over every other corner to let the fast guys have a clear fun race would not be fun for me.

Originally Posted by Frank Root
+1. I've always wanted to race the best... Maybe things just aren't the same any more and to me, that is disappointing.
I feel the same way about wanting to race the best but what fun is it for a guy like me new to on road racing the best when all you do is get out of the way?

I started racing at TQ in 1/10th Stock TC in sportsman (started round 3 of the series and it was literally my first time on the track with my car and its was a blast but I sucked!!). I would have rather been in the rookie class but there wasn't one. I learned the hard way and got better each time out (with help of RedbullFixx and may others at TQ)I am a little more comfortable with my TC. When I watch the 1/12th guys race I think to myself I would not have fun because I would be to worried about messing up someones race.

A true rookie class or even sportsman 17.5 would allow me to race with a little confidence.

Thats how I feel anyway.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Carranza76
I thought about 1/12th but seeing the comp at TQ I would be a speed bump. Having to pull over every other corner to let the fast guys have a clear fun race would not be fun for me.

I feel the same way about wanting to race the best but what fun is it for a guy like me new to on road racing the best when all you do is get out of the way?

I started racing at TQ in 1/10th Stock TC in sportsman (started round 3 of the series and it was literally my first time on the track with my car and its was a blast but I sucked!!). I would have rather been in the rookie class but there wasn't one. I learned the hard way and got better each time out (with help of RedbullFixx and may others at TQ)I am a little more comfortable with my TC. When I watch the 1/12th guys race I think to myself I would not have fun because I would be to worried about messing up someones race.

A true rookie class or even sportsman 17.5 would allow me to race with a little confidence.

Thats how I feel anyway.
Just a thought on your concerns about messing up other racers. Remember that this is not the worlds where somebody's RC job is on the line due to a poor finish, it's club racing for fun. Rather than worrying about others just learn to drive a clean line and let the fast guys go around you. In most cases they are skilled enough to make a clean pass and if not then they need to learn to do so; traffic on a track is just part of racing.

Having said that as a racer I hate to see anyone not race because they feel like a rolling roadblock, so maybe a novice class would help the car count. Perhaps set the class with a breakout lap rule, say once you are within 3 laps of the B main top qualifier your then ready to move up. I just hate to see the class be split up too much as that is not really enjoyable for all.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chris moore
Just a thought on your concerns about messing up other racers. Remember that this is not the worlds where somebody's RC job is on the line due to a poor finish, it's club racing for fun. Rather than worrying about others just learn to drive a clean line and let the fast guys go around you. In most cases they are skilled enough to make a clean pass and if not then they need to learn to do so; traffic on a track is just part of racing.

Having said that as a racer I hate to see anyone not race because they feel like a rolling roadblock, so maybe a novice class would help the car count. Perhaps set the class with a breakout lap rule, say once you are within 3 laps of the B main top qualifier your then ready to move up. I just hate to see the class be split up too much as that is not really enjoyable for all.
I can agree with that but I learned to race clean from the time I started racing off road. I wouldn't want to be the reason why someone lost the lead or lost a chance at taking the lead. Its happened to me in off road and it sucks! Its not that I dont know how to drive but being new to on road its a different game.

I'd also like to point out that if it wasn't for the locals at TQ being so friendly and willing to help new people I probably would have given up on road. Easily the best track atmosphere wise I have ever been to.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carranza76
I can agree with that but I learned to race clean from the time I started racing off road. I wouldn't want to be the reason why someone lost the lead or lost a chance at taking the lead. Its happened to me in off road and it sucks! Its not that I dont know how to drive but being new to on road its a different game.

I'd also like to point out that if it wasn't for the locals at TQ being so friendly and willing to help new people I probably would have given up on road. Easily the best track atmosphere wise I have ever been to.
Grab a 1/12
Get in on the fun
We'll get you sorted
I've seen you drive, you will be fine
1/12 cars are very easy to get going compared to, well, anything
Old 09-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

If anyone wants help getting their 1/12 going
just ask Mr. Schuurspeed, Jeric. or anyone of us "eXperts"
We'll get you sorted
Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

If anyone wants help getting their 1/12 going
just ask Mr. Schuurspeed, Jeric. or anyone of us "eXperts"
We'll get you sorted
I don't know anything yet, and I'll help too
Old 09-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Frank Root
I don't know anything yet, and I'll help too
8.9s
Old 09-25-2014, 10:23 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

8.9s
Only because I was in your pit every run to get info
Old 09-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Grab a 1/12
Get in on the fun
We'll get you sorted
I've seen you drive, you will be fine
1/12 cars are very easy to get going compared to, well, anything
Got any Yoke's for sale? lol
Old 09-25-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris moore

The purpose of sportsman is to do just that . . . changing the name from sportsman to novice is nothing more than semantics. There is more than 1 person out there not racing because of the intimidation factor. You can say it's not the worlds etc etc, but at the end of the day who wants to be the speed bump. It also makes it near impossible to get better if you spend your race pulling over. When you pack 8 into a heat it's the novice who gets the short end of the stick, and chasing a carrot is not going to magically make them better nor all the helpful advice.

Here is what really bugs me . . . we are talking about splitting the class up, and what I see is a whole lot of excuses why people want to stay in sportsman rather than race expert. If 50% of the current field are considered experts then we should have packed heats of expert. What I see so far is excuses as to why they don't want to race expert. A stator for a 13.5 is around $40, you don't have worse wear and tear unless you are hitting the boards a lot, and speeds are an average of .5 sec faster. There is no compelling reason I see why the majority of racers should not move to expert. Heck keep expert 17.5 if people want, at the end of the day it's all about having close racing at all levels.

I'll also add I'd personally rather win the 'd' expert main than win the sportsman 'a' main . . so yeah when it comes to it count me in as wanting to race the best with a 17.5 or a 13.5 does not matter.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just a suggestion. Run a wed. Night race and focus it on new to the hobby or people coming back to the hobby. It's changing a practice night into a easy race format. Also tq is the first track I have been to with one race day a week?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Gazzer55
Just a suggestion. Run a wed. Night race and focus it on new to the hobby or people coming back to the hobby. It's changing a practice night into a easy race format. Also tq is the first track I have been to with one race day a week?
Actually, it's more like twice a month
Originally Posted by mupchu
The purpose of sportsman is to do just that . . . changing the name from sportsman to novice is nothing more than semantics. There is more than 1 person out there not racing because of the intimidation factor. You can say it's not the worlds etc etc, but at the end of the day who wants to be the speed bump. It also makes it near impossible to get better if you spend your race pulling over. When you pack 8 into a heat it's the novice who gets the short end of the stick, and chasing a carrot is not going to magically make them better nor all the helpful advice.

Here is what really bugs me . . . we are talking about splitting the class up, and what I see is a whole lot of excuses why people want to stay in sportsman rather than race expert. If 50% of the current field are considered experts then we should have packed heats of expert. What I see so far is excuses as to why they don't want to race expert. A stator for a 13.5 is around $40, you don't have worse wear and tear unless you are hitting the boards a lot, and speeds are an average of .5 sec faster. There is no compelling reason I see why the majority of racers should not move to expert. Heck keep expert 17.5 if people want, at the end of the day it's all about having close racing at all levels.

I'll also add I'd personally rather win the 'd' expert main than win the sportsman 'a' main . . so yeah when it comes to it count me in as wanting to race the best with a 17.5 or a 13.5 does not matter.
Nearly every race here have been 1/12 A & B mains, and they are sorted well to start with
So not a lot of speed bump happenings like you may think
If there were more drivers holding out, then there should be a C main

At IIC 17.5 is just a class like any other
And, you always find that you are driving with people at or near your pace

I do think someone new to the hobby is more novice than what may pass for a sportsman
What is a "sportsman" anyway, how do you classify that?
If you've been driving for a year, you should be able to drive circles around a novice driver

Some folks are dedicated, and progress faster, are they eXperts ? , we are all progressing
Aside from the very rare Howhart or Hara sightings, there are no "Pro drivers" at TQ
We are all just club racers that do this for FUN

Wouldn't it more fun to win the C Main, than have a special class that doesn't compete with other racers running the same kit

1/12 scale is unique, and has persevered as is since electric racing began
Look around the world, see how many novice or sportsman, or eXpert 1/12 scale classes there are...

Again, having a 17.5 & a 13.5 class is cool, but when you only have 2 or 3 racing, it's dies, like it has nearly every season since Sean started running with points
Who knows, maybe this time it will be different
Old 09-25-2014, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can you enter both classes?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Actually, it's more like twice a month

Nearly every race here have been 1/12 A & B mains, and they are sorted well to start with
So not a lot of speed bump happenings like you may think
If there were more drivers holding out, then there should be a C main

At IIC 17.5 is just a class like any other
And, you always find that you are driving with people at or near your pace

I do think someone new to the hobby is more novice than what may pass for a sportsman
What is a "sportsman" anyway, how do you classify that?
If you've been driving for a year, you should be able to drive circles around a novice driver

Some folks are dedicated, and progress faster, are they eXperts ? , we are all progressing
Aside from the very rare Howhart or Hara sightings, there are no "Pro drivers" at TQ
We are all just club racers that do this for FUN

Wouldn't it more fun to win the C Main, than have a special class that doesn't compete with other racers running the same kit

1/12 scale is unique, and has persevered as is since electric racing began
Look around the world, see how many novice or sportsman, or eXpert 1/12 scale classes there are...

Again, having a 17.5 & a 13.5 class is cool, but when you only have 2 or 3 racing, it's dies, like it has nearly every season since Sean started running with points
Who knows, maybe this time it will be different
I am not going to disagree that one big class isn't the way to go, however if we were to split the classes up as suggested then we are following the same pattern as sedans have and that has been pretty successful. TQ is not a large track and rather than split i'd prefer that mains compromise no more than 6-7 cars, and move to A, B, C, D etc mains (bump ups are fine) When you stack a heat with 8+ the drivers off pace in the rear become nothing more than a speed bump by lap 2. It's the same in sedan but my experience has always been the lower mains become a crash up derby in sedan anyway, esp when you get too many on the track at once with limited places to pass.

I am perfectly fine with splitting it up by sportsman and expert, and perfectly fine with one big class but I think there is currently no rookie class at all 1/12, sedan or whatever . . . so we do wind up losing people.

Also for the record 1/12 13.5 is more fun

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.