Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree84Likes

Official AARCMCC EP On Road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

You know, I did that survey at 3am in the morning. Just ticked and flicked.

Wishing now I had done a more thorough read, GG AARCMCC EP ONR (there's some letters for you).
nexxus likes this.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Having just read the branding survey email which is designed to address querys as to why this is being surveyed etc I am going to say I'm not really buying it.

To me it seems like a play to give more power to those in a few positions rather than the inconvenience of having to go to a vote with clubs etc, giving less effective resistance to things like controlled motor classes and any other sweeping change that is thought of as a good idea at the time.

I will concur with others that there are other things that could use attention before a name change and fundamental changes to the organisation as a whole. Updating the website would be one I can name.

That's my opinion, you may choose to agree or disagree, and I'm not going to enter into heated discussions on it (made that mistake before!) but I don't think I am alone in my thoughts here.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:52 AM
Tech Adept

Good step forward in re-branding. Rip out the old rusty nails.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So I'm going to put a counter arguement here...

Everything about the current association branding (be it name, website etc) is frankly total crap. Go have a look at the website, and ask yourself truthfully, is that appealing or anyway enticing to a new or returning racer looking for information?

The association should be THE first point of call to anyone who is looking to get into the hobby, and for existing racers looking for relevant information. And the existing methods are outdated, and do nothing to Promote The Sport which to quote 3.1 of the constitution;

3.1 The objects for which the Association is established are;
(a) To foster, promote and co-ordinate the sport of model radio controlled car racing in all its branches.
Take a step back, and ask yourselves truthfully... is the Association as it is achieving that aim?

There are plenty of other things in the background being worked on as well, and a name change could be part of that, if it's felt that it's in the best interests of sport in Australia. Certainly as has already been mentioned, the Association of Australian Radio Controlled Model Car Clubs does not trip off the tongue, nor does it indicate the excitement and fun of the hobby... surely that is a more important factor then anything else, especially in this day and age of the instant thrill...

But then, I forget there are plenty of people who seem to want to stay living in the 90's, and moan when something is proposed to move into the 21st century...
veecee, No9 and smithers64 like this.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
The survey would be vastly improved by first informing the respondents of the structure of the Association. Many of whom won't be knowledgeable in this area. If you look at the survey you don't even tell the respondents what AARCMCC stands for until the second last page. Surely this is information they need to decide whether key terms need to be in the name or not?
Our opinions of vastly obviously vary greatly. You really do have some great ideas and insights Dan, I really wish you would offer your time more often in a more constructive capacity though.
I actually think the structure is irrelevant for this. If people doing the survey don’t know what AARCMCC the acronym is, that’s kinda ironic in itself - it wasn’t purposeful to not define it btw, initially this survey was only sent to clubs. Then a suggestion came to widen the net and we thought - “why not”
To think they need to know the “structure” is an odd comment I feel, but hey, if respondents think that, that’s what the comments box is for. And besides, it is on the website.
The current name says exactly what the Association actually is. None of the other suggestions actually convey that as accurately.
I disagree. A big part of why AARCMCC exists is to common the clubs, yes. But it is also about the racers. Helping organise consistent events (by direction, regulation control and direct assistance) for the racers and ultimately, help the racers attend international sanctioned events and represent both AARCMCC and their country.
I note with some cynicism that only one of the suggestions has the word 'Clubs' in it.
Again, much irony. I put up examples of all the known major, and popular, governing bodies and had word play with them (substituting our terms for from the following relevant words to come up with “pronounceable” acronyms.
Clubs, Country, Radio, Control, Racing, Racers, Model, Car, Members, Association, Australia, Sport.
You stating only one suggestion has “club(s)” in it is the only time I realised this fact to be honest. Again, comments box was open for suggestions.
One can't help but think that by polling an uniformed demographic
A very poor assumption I feel. You are insulting a whole swathe of racers who choose to be involved with the association. And as said, the initial target was the clubs anyway!
it is hoped they will provide you with evidence that the name should be changed to exclude clubs, and that subsequently this will make it easier to introduce other changes that exclude clubs from the governance structure.
Again a poor assumption. And I actually take a little offence to this. There is zero intention to exclude clubs from the governance structure. This has never been suggested at executive level and won’t ever be suggested by me personally. Clubs are at our core. But so should be the competitors.
Originally Posted by NOFX
Couldn't agree more.

Whats the motivation? why does AARCMCC need a fresh new name? who is it appealing to? why allocate time to this?
I’ve explained this in my email reply to all that had responded by this evening. It was suggested by those helping with the new website – this includes a few racers, a club president and members of the committee – plus an external independent party.
Plus – it’s *our* time. It’s our discretion. Our volunteer effort.
Originally Posted by tjk
Agree wholeheartedly that the current name describes exactly who the Association is.
We agree to disagree. Refer to my perhaps long winded response to Dan for more.
Originally Posted by tjk
Why does it need to change?
It doesn’t need to. But it has been suggested and we felt it worthy to ask the clubs. A couple of clubs suggested we cast the net wider and ask the club members (associate members of AARCMCC) – which is what they would do anyway, ask the racers.
Originally Posted by tjk
How did it come about that branding companies are advising?
Getting advise about website redevelopment.
Originally Posted by tjk
There is no need for the Association to "Market" it self to anyone other than to the Clubs. As long as the Clubs are aware of what the Association does and the benefits of belonging then that is all that is necessary.
Incorrect.
We need to market to sponsors, councils and government. Also new clubs that are not members. And perhaps in time, investors.
Originally Posted by tjk
I agree is there an ulterior motive?
Zero.
Originally Posted by NOFX
No it doesn't. It does not explain why marketing companies were consulted, what the goal of this is or justify why aarcmcc needs an easier name to say
Hopefully everything above answers your question(s).
Originally Posted by bd581
Can of worms time, but I'm going to come out and say what I'm sure most people are thinking.
Of all the problems that are within Australian RC racing, surely the governing bodies name is or should be a pretty low priority on the list of things that need attention.
It is low. But it becomes higher when you are changing the online face of the association and also potentially trying to have the hobby accredited as a sport as there is intertwined association (but not dependence)
Originally Posted by nexxus
Having just read the branding survey email which is designed to address querys as to why this is being surveyed etc I am going to say I'm not really buying it.
There were exactly 8 “negative” queries in around 100 replies. But we wanted to share with all.
As for your not buying it. I never expected anything different from someone who tries to discredit those that give their time and energy to the association at every turn.
Besides. There is no selling. So no need to buy. Everything I said in that email is the absolute truth of the situation and the background and there is no more.
To me it seems like a play to give more power to those in a few positions rather than the inconvenience of having to go to a vote with clubs etc, giving less effective resistance to things like controlled motor classes and any other sweeping change that is thought of as a good idea at the time.
How on earth you come to that conclusion is beyond me. Farcical. Why the h3ll would we be so open and transparent – when we don’t have to be – on matters such as these (and the control motors, but how that is related I don’t know) and then bother to reply in email to ALL that responded plus spend time responding here if all we wanted to do was not listen and push our own agenda – that can be done behind closed doors without even talking to the clubs, let alone the racers.
I will concur with others that there are other things that could use attention before a name change and fundamental changes to the organisation as a whole. Updating the website would be one I can name.
We agree on something! Wow. The website update is a HUGELY important task. But as said in the email, we don’t want to expend energy and money on something that *might* come undone (and it *might* be as a result of strong suggestion from the ASC) shortly after – ie: changing the name and the graphics/colours that go with it. The website people have straight up said – sort the logo first, then we can proceed.
That's my opinion, you may choose to agree or disagree, and I'm not going to enter into heated discussions on it (made that mistake before!) but I don't think I am alone in my thoughts here.
I’m not even going to bother with this one.
And please – don’t edit my post without telling me or giving me the opportunity to edit it first if you find any of the above offensive for some reason or other.
Originally Posted by Blui3
Good step forward in re-branding. Rip out the old rusty nails.
I think rebranding, alongside a new website is definitely worthy use of time. Whether that means adoption of an alias or a new name – unsure personally. Hence asking. But far out, some get shirty about that too. Can’t win.
Ps: I don’t know about old rusty nails – I don’t feel any of the current executive or the committee are too rusted on. Plenty of tin foils hats in this thread though it seems – do they rust?

Clive Silva
Secretary & Treasurer
AARCMCC Inc
TryHard likes this.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TryHard
Promote The Sport
well, the association is failing there miserably.

cause we are not a sport. yet.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:51 AM
Tech Elite

lets just put these out there as well.

this is the list of all governing bodies for sport - or NSO - in Australia.

not all receive funding by the ASC (but many do), however all are eligible to wear the coat of arms on their shirts when competing for the country and all are seen as legitimate organisations from councils and government which assists with grants, loans and other assistance.
  • Air Sport Australia Confederation
  • Archery Australia Inc
  • Athletics Australia
  • Australian Billiards & Snooker Council
  • Australian Calisthenics Federation
  • Australian Canoeing
  • Australian Curling Federation
  • Australian Dragon Boat Federation
  • Australian Eight Ball Federation
  • Australian Fencing Federation Ltd
  • Australian Floorball Association
  • Australian Flying Disc Association
  • Australian Football League
  • Australian Ice Racing Inc
  • Australian Jujitsu Federation
  • Australian Karate Federation
  • Australian Kendo Renmei
  • Australian Lacrosse Association Ltd
  • Australian Outrigger Canoe Racing Association Inc
  • Australian Paralympic Committee
  • Australian Polo Federation
  • Australian Rugby League Commission
  • Australian Rugby Union
  • Australian Sailing
  • Australian Taekwondo
  • Australian Underwater Federation
  • Australian University Sport
  • Australian Weightlifting Federation Limited
  • Badminton Australia
  • Baseball Australia
  • Basketball Australia
  • BMX Australia Inc
  • Bocce Federation of Australia
  • Boccia Australia
  • Bowls Australia
  • Boxing Australia
  • Confederation of Australian Motor Sport Ltd (CAMS)
  • Cricket Australia
  • Croquet Australia
  • Cycling Australia
  • DanceSport Australia
  • Darts Australia
  • Diving Australia Ltd
  • Equestrian Australia
  • Football Federation Australia
  • Gaelic Football & Hurling Association of Australasia
  • Golf Australia
  • Gridiron Australia
  • Gymnastics Australia Ltd
  • Handball Australia
  • Hockey Australia
  • Ice Hockey Australia
  • Ice Skating Australia Inc
  • Judo Federation of Australia Ltd
  • Kung Fu Wushu Australia Ltd
  • Modern Pentathlon Australia
  • Motorcycling Australia Ltd
  • Muaythai Australia
  • National Campdraft Council of Australia
  • Netball Australia
  • Olympic Winter Institute of Australia
  • Orienteering Australia
  • Petanque Australia
  • Polocrosse Association of Australia
  • Pony Club Australia
  • Powerlifting Australia Ltd
  • Rowing Australia Ltd
  • Shooting Australia
  • Skate Australia Inc
  • Ski and Snowboard Australia
  • Softball Australia
  • Sport Climbing Australia
  • Squash Australia Ltd
  • Surf Life Saving Australia
  • Surfing Australia
  • Swimming Australia Ltd
  • Synchronised Swimming Australia Inc (SSAI)
  • Table Tennis Australia
  • Tennis Australia
  • Tenpin Bowling Australia Ltd
  • Touch Football Australia
  • Triathlon Australia
  • Volleyball Australia
  • Water Polo Australia Limited
  • Waterski and Wakeboard Australia
  • Wrestling Australia Inc

all of these NSO's are like AARCMCC in that they exist to foster, promote and support their sport, representing clubs, venues and competitors.

Most are two words or less and typically straight to the point. many are easy acronyms. and I see the word club mentioned once. "Pony Club Australia"

our "name" doesn't *need* to describe the association - there are other documents and locations for that.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yep, website needs an upgrade, seems like the good old days of bulletin boards, and dial up modems when visiting it.

Current acronym is a pita to remember, and explain to someone.

Rob.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I gather the executive are gearing up to spend some money on marketing.
If thats the case, why wouldn't they look to rebrand and modernise the association??
If this is also part of a greater plan to actually have our 'hobby' nationally recognised as a legitimate 'sport' than they have my full support.
Gone are the days where clubs can simply sit back and wait for new members to stumble accross them and convert to racers and or club members. It would appear the executive also see this and are taking the lead.
This executive committee appear to be doing more and getting stuff done and I take my hat off to you.
These jobs are never easy and there's always some guru who knows better or could do it better from their armchair.

Andrew Shapland
No9 likes this.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:43 AM
Tech Champion

I'm all for promotion and definitely updating the website. I ask for the website to be updated as much as anyone. Changing up the logo is a great idea as well. All of this can be done without changing the name. The Gaelic Football & Hurling Association of Australasia (or TGFAHAOA) didn't see a need to change their name, I don't think we need to either.

Nobody goes to an event or joins a sport because the governing body's name is easy to say. I feel like AARCMCC is easy enough – it's pronounced R-mack. I can think of plenty of organisations with more unwieldily acronyms for names that have zero problem with promotion. I'm sure most of you will of heard of the Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service, or QANTAS, for instance. There isn't even a U after the Q, how are you supposed to pronounce that!? Still, seems like they don't have any trouble with promotion. They also don't have their name in their logo. If the designers want more freedom, then give them that brief.

The email Clive sent out today admitted in the first half of it that you're wanting to change the organisation's structure. If you're going to try and do that, a name change should come after that process, not before it. Changing the name to reflect the structure you want before asking us to approve that structure is putting the cart before the horse. Worse it could tie you to the model you first thought of (since it'll gel with the name) and make you inflexible to compromise. You won't want to consider other structures that call for a different name because you'll have done a lot of work on logos and promotions with the new one.

But before we go there, how about we see if we need to change anything first. I've seen a lot on the ASC website and in posts from Clive on what is preferred or desirable at their end, but little on what is mandatory. Instead of aiming for upheaval to fit the desires of others. Lets take our structure, which many of us think is good (and let me say having a brother who races "real" cars that the CAMS model is not one I would want), and let's see what the minimum changes we need to make are.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:19 AM
Tech Elite

If you're so passionate about this Dan, step up to the plate and offer your time.

Get involved. Don't just poke when you hear something you don't agree with.
veecee likes this.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Having been through the Cams cycle (albeit 10 or so yrs ago) and from what I hear about it now, it hasn't improved, I am not sure that's what we should be aspiring too.

I do think I need to clarify my view points on a couple of things though.

1. I do not for a second think that being on the AARCMCC committee is easy, it's a thankless task that opens you to ridicule and you probably need a thicker skin than I have to do it with any sort of success. I do notice that when we have these posts people are very quick to jump to the defense of people, now just because I or anyone else disagree with an idea, doesn't mean we seek to "belittle at every turn" and I openly apologise if thats the impression I gave as that was not my intent.

A dissenting opinion on a matter (or matters) is different than that.

I also do not believe RC Racing is a sport rather it's a hobby (that's my personal opinion, I played basketball for 12 yrs, that's a sport...), Marshalling may be a sport....
Old 03-09-2017, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Sport is defined as something that requires physical skill and involves competition. We tick those boxes. It might be small physical movements - but it is precision hand eye coordination.

We are an activity that can be enjoyed by those with physical endurance and fitness limitations also. People in wheelchairs and other disabilities. The elderly. Sport is for everyone. I don't care that we don't compare in the physical prowess measurement with basketball, football or whatever - I care that our competitors are recognised and respected and allowed to be treated as people involved in a legitimate competitive pastime - and if you are good enough you can represent your country.

CAMS is *one* example. Please don't fixate on that. See this Forrest for the trees.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cplus
If you're so passionate about this Dan, step up to the plate and offer your time.

Get involved. Don't just poke when you hear something you don't agree with.
Ed and Damian have my number and my email address. I'm more than happy to offer any time I have to help work through anything AARCMCC is working on. I have given that offer to every EP ONR and OFR Executive from 2010 or so onwards. Most take me up on it, including you guys at times. I'm pretty busy for the next week (deadline) but give me a call after that and we'll see what I can do.

I say when I agree as well as when I disagree. If I only did one of those things my opinion wouldn't have the same worth.
nexxus likes this.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Dan, it's the GFHAA btw. Check their website.

We aren't TAAORCMCCS

Plus their alias is "Australasia GAA"

The fact you've picked out one esoteric example in that massive list really does tell me you are clutching at straws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.