Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Supernova Competition charger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

maybe try 5A, 2A, 7A, 4A for the step charging, or something simular. step charging is something that needs to be done carefully.

I've never used the feature yet.... I only race stock at this stage anyway.

I linear charge my IB3600's at 6Amps, with a 5mv/C cut off and 55deg temp cut off.

when I discharge my cells, they all discharge properly down to what they are sposed to, 5.x V' with 0.9 cut off.

I then remove the pack from the supernova and tray it on a novak smart tray to "equalize" the cells.

I'm considering buying a second supernova. I'm v' happy with mine
Old 10-07-2005, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

i'll try the step charging you guys recommended. i noticed the cells only reach 32 or so degrees when i have a 3mv cut of at 4amps. and only 3800 went into a pack. i have been charging and discharging my last 3 packs to test the charger so maybe that's why. the first charge i got 4100 in 1 pack.

should i stick to 3mv or try 4mv?

i have been step charging but at weak settings.

only recently did i try to go up to 6amps on only 1 step and 5 amps at the final step for only 600amps worth.

i like it. but i am first going to test the packs on the track. if they feel good, i will get another.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

i run 5mv/c for the IB's.. mainly coz they are unmatched packs for practice, etc.

I run 3mv/c for GP3300's.. im gonna buy new cells soon and will be looking for an ideal charging config to get the most out of the cells and have them last longer..

maybe go from 6A down to 5A on my new packs hehe
Old 10-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by James
The charger has trumps on the LRP... the LRP is still a good unit if you dont need fancy features or more discharge grunt. I like model memory, dunno if the LRP has this.... For the cost of a supernova comp, I doubt there's anything better (for the money).. who knows
I haven't seen the Much More CTX Cell Master being compared to the ice unit.

Any thoughts on if the ice comes anywhere near to it?
Old 11-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

hi. after about 1 months use, my supernova has gone up in smoke

when i go to charge, somehwere from the fan area, the unit will start to smoke come out of it.

sending it back to retailer now. see what they can do
Old 11-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Not good, No stock is left in Australia and the distributor won't have any until next year is what I heard as I was looking to getting one aswell.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

i was looking into getting another one or two.. still really enjoying mine. I used an ice for the on-road nats along side my sj comp and wasnt overly impressed. sure they are simular items but the build on the SJ just feels nicer for me, and I can see the screen on the SJ in low light, helps when your in a shed, on an overcast day... hah. also prefer the 'buttons' interface over the jogwheel and the perhaps more rugged full metal casing.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

the only thing that really annoys me about the super nova is that it does not discharge a full pack down to 0.9 or close to it??

no matter what discharge rate i input, or what per cell volt cut off i give it it never discharges a fully charged pack to anything close to 0.9 per cell!!

IS THIS NORMAL??

i find i have to chuck the packs on my novak smart try to get them down to 0.9 and it takes about 1/2 an hr, meaning the supernova hasn't done jack!

have other people had this issue?? i am thinking about returning it to the shop i bought it from if this is a faulty issue.

eagerly waiting responses
Old 11-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

yeap, I tray my pack's after discharging on the supernova, it takes from 10 to 30 mins depending on the pack I'm using. Maybe the supernova is false detecting the discharge voltage? I'm not too concerned as I want to tray the cells after discharging anyway.. I also use a spintec from time to time to 'revive' the cells
Old 11-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

VWO, what discharge current are you using? I think what you are experiencing is a characteristic of the battery not your charger. This is normal.

If you are using 20A then the Supernova will stop the discharge when the cells until they are unable to deliver 20A of current while maintaining more than 0.9V per cell (5.4V for the pack).

If you use a Novak tray which discharges at around 2-3A then it will discharge the cells until they are unable to deliver 2-3A of current while maintaining 5.4V for the pack - this is considerably less load on the battery!! Which means the battery is able to maintain the voltage above 5.4V for much longer.

So if you set your Supernova discharge to 3A then use your tray you should find that the lights go out much quicker. How quickly they go out will depend on how well equalised the cells in your pack are. If they are equalised well they should go out fairly quickly and at roughly the same time.

The disadvantage of using 3A discharge on the SN is it takes forever and is not good for your packs. So I would suggest you use the SN at 20A then use your tray.

Hopefully that makes sense?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by danjoy25
Not good, No stock is left in Australia and the distributor won't have any until next year is what I heard as I was looking to getting one aswell.

yeah i phone RMS and they said model engines dont have any atm.

but RMS still selling them? i sent it back to RMS see what they can do.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kermit
VWO, what discharge current are you using? I think what you are experiencing is a characteristic of the battery not your charger. This is normal.

If you are using 20A then the Supernova will stop the discharge when the cells until they are unable to deliver 20A of current while maintaining more than 0.9V per cell (5.4V for the pack).

If you use a Novak tray which discharges at around 2-3A then it will discharge the cells until they are unable to deliver 2-3A of current while maintaining 5.4V for the pack - this is considerably less load on the battery!! Which means the battery is able to maintain the voltage above 5.4V for much longer.

So if you set your Supernova discharge to 3A then use your tray you should find that the lights go out much quicker. How quickly they go out will depend on how well equalised the cells in your pack are. If they are equalised well they should go out fairly quickly and at roughly the same time.

The disadvantage of using 3A discharge on the SN is it takes forever and is not good for your packs. So I would suggest you use the SN at 20A then use your tray.

Hopefully that makes sense?
yeah i though this might be the case. i discharge at 20amps. i just wish my SN discharged like my old CDC. what amps does the CDC vr 6 discharge at?

other than that i like it...

oww and i wish it also had more than just 1 step charging memory function
Old 11-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

So, does anyone know anywhere in OZ that has the charger in stock? Looking to pick one up in the next few weeks, and don't want to wait until next January??
Old 11-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hobby Habit (www.hobbyhabit.com.au) had quite a few in stock a while back. Give them a call on 08 8349 6242.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the SJ Platinum EX of the Supernova 3000? Are they comparable to the comp or just updated versions? Is there any advantage to the platinum over the 3000?

cheers
Simon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.