Like Tree116Likes

Adelaide Radio Controlled Raceway Inc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mudunda
Is there a reason for doing that?
It is the best fit. From what I understand you can set the tyre pressure so to speak by the the width you cut the foam. I am yet to try it to see what it effect it has.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Blue 31
It is the best fit. From what I understand you can set the tyre pressure so to speak by the the width you cut the foam. I am yet to try it to see what it effect it has.
Wouldnt the cut have to be spot on cause I would imagine the tyre would be out of balance with s crooked cut
Old 03-11-2014, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wouldnt the cut have to be spot on cause I would imagine the tyre would be out of balance with s crooked cut
I find with std foam for 2wd fronts (especially p/line) I put my rim next to the foam flat on the table and then sit a permanent marker on the rim and turn the foam so you have a line approx 5-8mm higher than the rim. Cut on the line....if its a little wobbly it wont make a noticeable difference. If your real keen you could chamfer the outside corner to match the profile of the tire a bit. Stuff it in the tyre, add glue, fix to car and have some fun.
If your worried about the balance, I would only ever do it after the tyre has been glued to the rim. A very small amout of blutak or lead tape is all you need.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BigBangPro
I find with std foam for 2wd fronts (especially p/line) I put my rim next to the foam flat on the table and then sit a permanent marker on the rim and turn the foam so you have a line approx 5-8mm higher than the rim. Cut on the line....if its a little wobbly it wont make a noticeable difference. If your real keen you could chamfer the outside corner to match the profile of the tire a bit. Stuff it in the tyre, add glue, fix to car and have some fun.
If your worried about the balance, I would only ever do it after the tyre has been glued to the rim. A very small amout of blutak or lead tape is all you need.
Cool

thanks for the info mate. I see you drive a 22 2.0 like me.
maybe you could give a back yarder like me some set up tips at the trsck sometime.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Actually cutting and trimming inserts is a very common practice when using standard foam (non moulded or closed cell type).

Pro-line is very known for needing this to be done.
At the major meetings where Pro-line is still used as a control tyre, and the included white foam insert must be used, it is all but a necessity to shape them for best performance.

Rears are a little easier to get right, with just the inside edge to be cut off at a 45deg angle approx 3-4mm from each corner. So to picture this, mount a foam by itself onto a bare rim, and the cut area will be at the base of the sidewall against the tyre beads mounting point to the rim.
This allows the tyre bead to be glued down evenly, with less chance of the corner of the foam (now removed) getting caught and glued between the rim and the tyre bead.

The other tip here is to turn the tyre itself inside out, and trim 2mm from the outside edge of each mounting bead, this makes the mounting bead narrower, and thus fits more snug into the rims moulded bead mounting recess.

Front inserts should be trimmed down in Pro-line too, both 2wd and 4wd, but as mentioned, approx 1/3rd of the 2wd insert will need to be cut away for a correct fitment of the foam into the tyre.

I will say too, that although the outer surface of the foams can be cut or modified as mentioned in the conversation above, it is not usually a gain to do so, as it will allow the tyre to roll onto the sidewall easier and off the tread face. So usually the foam is kept as a square edge there.

[edit] ...I will add that the products from AKA do not need any of this alteration. Theirs are a simple case of mounting the bead of the tyre to the rim, as it is perfect fit, minimal flashing remains on the rubber after moulding, so no cutting, and the moulded closed cell insert is a perfect fit also, and reusable multiple times over ...so just punch two vent holes of your desired size in the outside of the tyre with a leather punch, and glue up to race!

Last edited by 'Paris'; 03-11-2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

What motor did u end up getting
Trinity d3.5 in the 8.5 variety
Old 03-11-2014, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 'Paris'
Actually cutting and trimming inserts is a very common practice when using standard foam (non moulded or closed cell type).

Proline is very known for needing this to be done.
At the major meetings where Pro-line is still used as a control tyre, and the included white foam insert must be used, it is all but a necessity to shape them for best performance.

Rears are I little easier to get right, with just the inside edge to be cut off at a 45deg angle approx 3-4mm from each corner. So to picture this, mount a foam by itself onto a bare rim, and the cut area will be at the base of the sidewall against the tyre beads mounting point to the rim.
This allows the tyre bead to be glued down evenly, with less chance of the corner of the foam (now removed) getting caught and glued between the rim and the tyre bead.

I will say too, that although the outer surface of the foams can be cut or modified as mentioned in the conversation above, it is not usually a gain to do so, as it will allow the tyre to roll onto the sidewall easier and off the tread face. So usually the foam is kept as a square edge there.
...yeah....what he said^^

Cool

thanks for the info mate. I see you drive a 22 2.0 like me.
maybe you could give a back yarder like me some set up tips at the trsck sometime.
Happy to give you my backyard tips on the 22 haha
Always have my setup sheets and notes of my racing at MP so far in the pit bag so im more than happy for you come past and chat.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

Thatll be good bigbang pro cheers. Ill hit u up on here before the next meet and get u to wear a red Rose so I know who you are. .lol

Thanks to you too Paris your detailed descriptions and opinion is always appreciated mate..

now hurry up and bring on next race day
Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thatll be good bigbang pro cheers. Ill hit u up on here before the next meet and get u to wear a red Rose so I know who you are. .lol

Thanks to you too Paris your detailed descriptions and opinion is always appreciated mate..

now hurry up and bring on next race day

Hey mate everything in previous posts answered all the questions you asked for.

so i used to run the foams from the pro-line packet. For about 5 meetings.

Got told to try the AKA closed insells. Since then i have never gone back. There is no cutting to fit to size the car is more consistant throughout a 5 minute run. Spend an extra 10 bucks to buy front and rear cells to go in the tyre. As paris said which i never knew you could get 3 club meets out of them before replacing.

That's my 2 cents worth

I just can't believe how much money I save running electric.

Just curious anyone looking to go and run the Canberra nats in October???
Old 03-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrLosi88
Just curious anyone looking to go and run the Canberra nats in October???
Myself and Annabelle for sure, Chris P has confirmed, and Matt G was talking about it.

There will also be a warm up meeting in the time leading up to the Nats at the same Canberra venue, that will double as the A.C.T state title.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

On another not can u or any one tell me if I need to cut down the foams that go in the front of a 2wd buggy.
It a lot wider than the tyre. There proline scrubs by the way
Yes!
You should trim it so it's the same width as the tyre it's self or 3mm wider than the rim
DON'T shape the edges to make it look like a closed cell though keep the sharp edges just like it comes. Only narrow the width.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info gents. Ill think ill try the closed cell inserts on the next batch of tyre.
Can't believe how much is involved in these bloody little cars.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Tech Adept

Any info on what is happening on the 22nd March yet?
Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by The Magician
Any info on what is happening on the 22nd March yet?
Whats meant to be happening that date
Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Whats meant to be happening that date
There was to be a 2 day event but this has now been cancelled. There is a committee meeting tomorrow night and I am sure it will be discussed then.
I personally can see 3 options.
1. Club meet with no points
2. Working bee
3.Go fishing
Watch this forum after tomorrow night for an update.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.