Search
Like Tree19Likes

Castle Hill RC Onroad

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Oh and i nearly forgot,

For Rob N and Graham W, the F1 tyres that you tried of mine in practice were the PIT 0549 R3S compound,

So to summarise the compounds now that we have had a chance to run them all in and give them a try

Rears

TRG Superion, Dont work at Castle Hill, were ok at SMA/windsor, but i found they broke away too soon
Pit 0545 R1, Work Everywhere
Pit 0549 R3S, Also work Everywhere, The Translation says for dusty/ unprepared surfaces, R1's were quicker at Windsor but not much. I think these will work very well At Castle Hill during summer.

Fronts

Pit 0543 F1-M, Good as Castle Hill, Push too much at Windsor and SMA
Pit 0541 F1-S, better initial turn in at windsor and SMA

Next on the list of things to try is the Pit R1's and R3's with the optional thinner insert

Beth.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJ
HI Rob, if you are concerned maybe Tony is right go back 21.5 but focus on Turdo. Work with Bob and the guys that used to run and get a feel for the speed and its something you know. Yes it won't be as fast as the 13.5 but you should have more control. Get used to it and then go back to the 13.5 special with a new car new setup the whole thing BIG changes.

To be fair what you are trying is great but a normal driver of stock who is used to the pace should be trying the test with 13.5 blinky then their times can be compared to a 17.5 run the 13.5 run and then that is a more closer constant than a driver jumping from 21.5 blinky to 13.5 blinky for the first time. If it is not possible, work yourself to it, give yourself time to get used to it.
What you guys are saying does make sense, and I think I'll go for the 21.5 turbo option with setting up the new car.
I liked the power of the 13.5 even though it was more than I'm used to, it felt more consistent in the power delivery. For now though a few weeks of 21.5 turbo will help me ease into things before making that big jump again.
Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJ
focus on Turdo.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Shane_CycloneTC
Yeh oh well some consider that, what it is.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Does anyone have a contact for Adam Benniston? If so could you PM me please.
You have a PM mate
Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Tech Regular

Rob, Choose a class you feel confident in, that way you can work on the set up of the car and get used to the new wheels. There's nothing harder then being thrown in the deep end and trying to set up a new car at the same time.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Well run race meeting on Friday night Liam (Clown Racing!). Very professional and moved through the night very well. TJ you might have to watch your job LOL but still hopefully this will get TJ on the track a little more from time to time.

Again great Job Liam to put you time a side so we could all enjoy a nights racing.

As for help at the track, I am more than happy to help out people in the way of setup questions so just come up and introduce yourself and ask away.

Remember a larger pinion does NOT make you quicker.

Coxy.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Coxy
Well run race meeting on Friday night Liam (Clown Racing!). Very professional and moved through the night very well. TJ you might have to watch your job LOL but still hopefully this will get TJ on the track a little more from time to time.

Again great Job Liam to put you time a side so we could all enjoy a nights racing.

As for help at the track, I am more than happy to help out people in the way of setup questions so just come up and introduce yourself and ask away.

Coxy.
I agree about the pinion you might find acceleration is smoother with a spur gear a couple teeth larger and then smaller pinion I found that with my car with the back end stepping out when powering on in the corners, it all depends on what suits your style off driving.

From what I have heard congrats Liam you did a great job, I am sure that made Trev rehab better and that he will be back doing the computer and more off us learn how to use it we can get him out to injoy driving as well.

Just a update found out last night NO chinese at the moment new car built just have check out a few things, new paint scheme started.

Hopefully see you all friday night.

Noel
Old 10-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Seeing as how everyone is giving reports I thought I would give one of my own.

Report: Can Daniel get a Spec 12th to work at Castle Hill?

I tried something different last Friday. I mounted up GPM 30s Mini-T slicks, from a place called Asia Tees, on 12th rims. The experiment was a complete failure. The tyres were too hard so the rear end would break loose unexpectedly. Added to that I was still running foams on the front so had no steering either. They don't make those slicks in any softer compound, so that's a no go. Also the tyre came off the rim, so the first heat was a disaster.

On the other hand the 2nd heat was much better, and I learnt some things that were very useful. My set-up in the 2nd heat was a complete bench set-up, but based on my memory of what I've done at Castle Hill previously.

The most significant differences were (a) I used Speedmind 30s on the rear (with sunscreen rubbed in), (b) I hadn't used that set of tyres in practice, (c) Beth leant me some tyre warmers (thanks!).

As a result of those 3 things the car was a lot more locked in at the rear. I set the car up on the radio to push a bit at the start of the race, and unlike previous runs at Castle Hill the car was still good at the end of the run. In fact if you look at my times from heat 2 you can see that my fastest laps were in the last third of the race. I've never been able to achieve that there before; my fastest lap was always one of the first 5 – before the sunscreen wore off.

I drove overly tentatively in that heat, as it went on I realised I could push the car a little harder, so there is more speed in it yet, I should be able to get within a second of the top Stock F1. This doesn't mean it is easy, but I am getting the hang of it. Anyway, the run was still good enough for a B heat win, and to get me into 8th in the A.

Ok, so why was this better? Well, (a) the tyre warmers cooked the sunscreen into the tyres and meant I didn't have to wipe off excess to avoid leaving marks, so I had the benefits of the sunscreen for longer, (b) there is a lot of junk on the surface at Castle Hill and the foams collect it, especially when they are made sticky with traction compound or sunscreen, and it's hard to clean off after a run. The tyres also "polish up" a bit on the surface there. Using a fresh set of tyres means they are clean at the beginning and grip is better. Ideally a fresh set of tyres every run is what is needed. Note that this doesn't mean you throw your tyres away after one run, taking a skim off the top with a truer, or simply running them somewhere else is enough to clean them back up again.

So, what happened in the final? Well, I went a lot slower, but it's not the temperature that's the issue. It was a lot warmer at Castle Hill last Friday than it was the last two times I was there in the middle of winter. I've also had the car feeling good between the heats and finals in the practice session before, and the F1 finals are right after that. For me the main problem is the chalk used on the grid. The foam tyres pick it up very easily. I only have to run over it once or twice and it takes a number of laps to get rid of it. On laps where I was able to miss the grid the car had better grip, but the line was severely compromised and I couldn't miss it every time. At Highway Hobbies they mark the grid on the wall behind the cars. Maybe I can ask TJ to put the grid on the boards used to protect the cars from the steel uprights next time I'm there.

My full set-up:
Associated 12R5.1 (not the converted kit, so latitudinal battery config).
Front tyres: Speedmind 35s - no sauce
Front springs: .018"
Active Caster: 10*
Caster: maximum (I think it's either 6* or 8*)
Camber: 1*
Slight toe in.
Front arms spaced out 1 mm.
3 washers on the inside of the wheel on the front axle.
Ride height: 4-5 mm.
Rear tyres: Speedmind 30 - lots of sunscreen cooked in.
Battery backward.
Silver side springs.
Side shock: 20 wt.
Centre shock: 25 wt, blue spring.
Rear track: 172 mm (Yokomo R5 hubs with 4 shims either side).
Motor: Speedpassion 10.5
Rollout: 60 mm.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Coxy

Coxy.
Nor does a bigger motor!!!

Can vouch for Coxy's setup knowledge as we have tried some things that I wouldn't have thought of and it has improved the car massively. Unfortunately Coxy can't fix the nut behind the wheel!!!

Still a problem after 17 odd years of racing...
Old 10-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Default SCARED

Be very scared have a guess 2 off the 3 will be back Friday Night ,

Can not wait been suffering lack of fun .

Noel
Old 10-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Richards Racing

Noel
Looking forward to seeing you back at the track Noel. You've been missed mate.
Wednesday night........ we're almost there
Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Richards Racing

Noel
Hrrrrmm, would that be yourself & Jacqui?

Will be good to see you again on Fri night.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey Rob, no need to be cautious with the 13.5 if it smokes then it was for a good cause, I will grin and bear it. It actually looked like a hoot .. i wanna see how much gearing u can get in it whilst still being a responsive Hobbywing Diesel, i say go fit .. no issue if it blows !
Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ta04evah
Hrrrrmm, would that be yourself & Jacqui?

Will be good to see you again on Fri night.

Cheers
Rob.
Danaiel & Myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.