Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree19Likes

Castle Hill RC Onroad

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Had a really good time last night and for me, everything worked like a dream! With the new batteries and the right set up I couldn't fault the car but when it came down to it the finals in 21.5 As was where it was all at.

For half the race I was less then half a second behind Greg and it was only when I made a foolish mistake that I dropped back to almost 3 seconds behind. However I managed to push my way back up to the rear of Greg and closed off the time difference to the point where on the second last lap I tapped him on the inside causing him to spin out. My desire to come second was pretty strong at that point but I couldn't 'steal' second spot from him as it would be completely unsportsmanlike, so I waited for Greg to get his bearings and it was a 1 lap dash for the finish line with me coming third and Greg only 0.3 of a second in front.

So because Rob N felt that there weren't enough ponies...
Old 10-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NuttsnBolts
However I managed to push my way back up to the rear of Greg and closed off the time difference to the point where on the second last lap I tapped him on the inside causing him to spin out. My desire to come second was pretty strong at that point but I couldn't 'steal' second spot from him as it would be completely unsportsmanlike, so I waited for Greg to get his bearings and it was a 1 lap dash for the finish line with me coming third and Greg only 0.3 of a second in front.
You displayed what we call "character", an exclusive club indeed
Old 10-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think you need to explain the Freddie pic.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

has anyone had any experience in cracking open LIPO cases ??

Both of my Orion Carbon Pro batteries have died on me on the last couple of weeks since going to mod, and both have just broken the internal connector somewhere. One died yesterday going down the main straight so its not through impact, it has to be the extra vibration or something ???

I’m not winning, but it could just be I’m not strong enough, and I’m very hesitant to use a knife with force,

who's idea was it to go to mod

Beth.

Edit: both have broken the positive side connector
Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Professor
interesting to see the times of bob (17.5 blinky) & rob (13.5 blinky) compaired to the times of the 17.5 boosted guys that competed together in 17.5 boosted class last nite, the boosted only had the advantage (not a lot), on the straight,i'm sure that with more testing over the next few weeks we may see the results reversed
good to see the members prepaired to put in the time the obtain the data required to give correct info & not just guessing or assuming what an outcome may or may not be
Even though I broke the top deck in 2 places & bent the front bulkhead in my car from a unexpected sudden spot, I still had fun and got some good data from running the 13.5 blinky in stock last night.
I'm confident my lap times would have been quicker if the car wasn't missing 1/3rd of it's top deck, which resulted in the chassis twisting very noticeably through the turns.
Secondly I was using a hobbywing motor on loan so I didn't want to push it too hard, and I believe the lap times could possibly be brought down a little more if a motor with end bell timing was used. All this would depend on the skill of the driver though.
As the night went on I felt more comfortable with the 13.5 in blinky mode, even though it had a lot more power than what I was used to, it delivered the power in a linear and proportional relation to the throttle trigger on the controller.

Last night was a significant lesson for me, I now have a very healthy respect for the increase in speeds as if I make a mistake they happen faster and harder. I had also intended to retire the tamiya after last night, but not as sudden and brutal, even though the car's traits gave me grief in the past it also gave me a lot of enjoyment.
The old girl might be battered, bruised & broken but she can be repaired and has earned a place on the shelf until repaired and become a VTA car.

The experience of breaking my car last night hasn't diminished my anticipation to race at the next level, if anything it has made me look forward to it even more and am eager to pass on any results, data & experience on to others.
Speaking of experience, it was good to watch the 21.5 A final with a few drivers gaining their first time experience in a A final. The race for 2nd place was a fierce battle between Greg & the Nutter where Andrews sportsmanship showed by not gaining the advantage from hitting the competition.
Going on point score results that Simon & Greg are exempted because of their choice to nominate themselves in the Pro division, last night is Andrew' Nutters first place achievement in 21.5.

Would also like to say a big thanks to Liam & Linda for their time & efforts, so all of us would be able to race and enjoy another Friday night while Trevor is still recovering from that nasty bug that has hold of him.

Beth, I believe they can be carefully pried open by using a flat bladed screw driver along the seam.
If you feel that mod is not working out for you, there's always the option of bolting your 21.5 back in, adding boost & turbo and come race with us in stock.

And for Jeff to explain the Freddie Mercury picture.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/freddie-mercury-rage-pose

Cheers
Rob.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:37 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

I would like to thank all that turned up last night. Specially Liam and Michelle. Liam volunteered his time to come out and help run the night and Michelle who is only 4 weeks away from having her first child. Special thanks to both of them.
I found out today that missing last night was a good idea. After haing my first good night sleep for two weeks I felt good to go into work to setoff some of the printing machines this morning only a couple of hours not much of an issue. I found out how sick I am. Glad I didn't decide not to go back to work too early. Hopefully I'll be right for Monday.
Its good to see some testing with the 13.5 motor by the results there was only .2 difference in the best 17.5 time to Robs 13.5 blinky. Would be good to hear from other tracks that are doing the same tests.
I shoud be back next week ?????? see what the doc says on Monday.

Again thanks

Trev

Last edited by TJ; 10-19-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

beth it is to dangerous to try to open the cover of your lipo batteries as they can ignite and pump out a poisonous gas. also are hard to put out. just get rid of them. it is not worth the risk
Old 10-19-2012, 11:12 PM
M24
Tech Adept

Enjoyed the close racing against the "Nutter" last night, who has made significant improvements over the last few weeks, it was really clean and I had to drive ten tenths the whole race to keep him out. Up for a repeat performance next week Andrew?

As for catching "Coxy", I haven't given up and am still working on it Jim. Car's great, it's just the loose nut behind the wheel that needs about 3 seconds of improvements for each minute. Doesn't sound as bad when you put it like that does it, in fact makes it sound doable.

Till next week.

Greg C
Old 10-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Tech Champion

Does anyone have a contact for Adam Benniston? If so could you PM me please.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta04evah
If you feel that mod is not working out for you, there's always the option of bolting your 21.5 back in, adding boost & turbo and come race with us in stock.
I dont give up that easliy Rob

I was just more annoyed i have lost 2 expensive LIPO's for no good reason,

Progress had been made this week until i ran out of tyres, but that was my fault

Beth.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by evochick
I dont give up that easliy Rob

I was just more annoyed i have lost 2 expensive LIPO's for no good reason,

Progress had been made this week until i ran out of tyres, but that was my fault

Beth.
Good! It's great to see you determined to make it work for you.

I also was a little annoyed with myself last night for breaking my car so badly, but I accepted the fact that I was careless, and drove with more care & concentration for the rest of the night.

I'm looking forward to getting the new car going and see if I can make some improvements on the results of last night next week.

Plus the speed is infectious...it's like a freaking addiction!!

Cheers
Rob.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TJ
I would like to thank all that turned up last night. Specially Liam and Michelle. Liam volunteered his time to come out and help run the night and Michelle who is only 4 weeks away from having her first child. Special thanks to both of them.
Not a Problem Trev, Happy to step in and help keep people racing when you aren't able to.

Liam
Old 10-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default New car setup - which way to go?

After badly breaking the old car last week, I'll be getting my new car ready for this coming Friday night.

Here's the question, which option of motor choice should I use to set the car up?
The options are - 21.5 blinky, 21.5 boosted or 13.5 blinky.

I feel comfortable driving with all the motor choices, a little bit more cautious with 13.5 blinky though, but still confident enough to keep trying the 13.5 format.

So, opinions, thoughts and/or suggestions? Should I play it safe and set it up with 21.5 blinky, or run boosted 21.5 to get the feel of a boosted car, or bolt in the 13.5 blinky and just go for it?

Cheers
Rob.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta04evah
After badly breaking the old car last week, I'll be getting my new car ready for this coming Friday night.

Here's the question, which option of motor choice should I use to set the car up?
The options are - 21.5 blinky, 21.5 boosted or 13.5 blinky.

I feel comfortable driving with all the motor choices, a little bit more cautious with 13.5 blinky though, but still confident enough to keep trying the 13.5 format.

So, opinions, thoughts and/or suggestions? Should I play it safe and set it up with 21.5 blinky, or run boosted 21.5 to get the feel of a boosted car, or bolt in the 13.5 blinky and just go for it?

Cheers
Rob.
If it were me Rob, i'd be going 21.5 Blinky ( obviously but regardless of my experience ) but, you have a whole lot more experience than I do. I'd say 21.5 boosted, so you can get a feel for the car and get a baseline for car setup.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:49 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

HI Rob, if you are concerned maybe Tony is right go back 21.5 but focus on Turbo. Work with Bob and the guys that used to run and get a feel for the speed and its something you know. Yes it won't be as fast as the 13.5 but you should have more control. Get used to it and then go back to the 13.5 special with a new car new setup the whole thing BIG changes.

To be fair what you are trying is great but a normal driver of stock who is used to the pace should be trying the test with 13.5 blinky then their times can be compared to a 17.5 run the 13.5 run and then that is a more closer constant than a driver jumping from 21.5 blinky to 13.5 blinky for the first time. If it is not possible, work yourself to it, give yourself time to get used to it.

Last edited by TJ; 10-20-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.