Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HOBART EP OFF ROAD RACING

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yeah we have slashes, 4wd buggies, 2wd buggies, stadium trucks etc.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah, either the 26th or 27th would suit me better. Onroad racing normally finishes after 3.
I have a 4x4 1/10 buggy and a majorly modified slash.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:08 AM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

That's great then. I've got the SC10 obviously and a buggy on it's way. Launceston R/C have had great success with short course trucks, so I think that should be one of our main focuses.

Tamiyalot (what is your real name! ), coming from STMCC, do you have any experience with timing gear? I have Spark2 demo (MyLaps) on my laptop but not real sure on how to run it! I know it's possible to do manual counting somehow...
Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ajj
That's great then. I've got the SC10 obviously and a buggy on it's way. Launceston R/C have had great success with short course trucks, so I think that should be one of our main focuses.

Tamiyalot (what is your real name! ), coming from STMCC, do you have any experience with timing gear? I have Spark2 demo (MyLaps) on my laptop but not real sure on how to run it! I know it's possible to do manual counting somehow...
My name is Mark and you kind of met me at a hobby shop speaking to Shane. I don't know how to setup Mylaps system, I know you can manually punch in cars without a transponder loop by allocating them a number on the keypad and pressing it when they go over the line. We have a bloke at the club who normally organises that, his name is Peter and might help you out with it.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ajj

aj, the software most of the clubs in tassie use is called alycat. you can download a version called alycate lite which is free, and lets you run small race meetings (i think up to five heats per round, 8 cars per heat). we ran for the first few months at Launceston using that free version, then bought the full version (which was still cheap, I think from memory about $200.

I can teach you alycat, as can any number of others. STMCC use alycat, as do latrobe (and of course launceston rc).

best of luck with the endeavour, i look forward to an interclub some day in the future!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 PM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sir Tamiyalot
My name is Mark and you kind of met me at a hobby shop speaking to Shane. I don't know how to setup Mylaps system, I know you can manually punch in cars without a transponder loop by allocating them a number on the keypad and pressing it when they go over the line. We have a bloke at the club who normally organises that, his name is Peter and might help you out with it.
Ah yes I remember you Mark! Are your other mates from STMCC as well?

Originally Posted by scott_g
aj, the software most of the clubs in tassie use is called alycat. you can download a version called alycate lite which is free, and lets you run small race meetings (i think up to five heats per round, 8 cars per heat). we ran for the first few months at Launceston using that free version, then bought the full version (which was still cheap, I think from memory about $200.

I can teach you alycat, as can any number of others. STMCC use alycat, as do latrobe (and of course launceston rc).

best of luck with the endeavour, i look forward to an interclub some day in the future!
Thanks Scott, I've downloaded alycat now. Might have to do an overnighter to your next meet to see how it works.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 AM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Had a bit of a play designing a track today...
Area: 37x25m
Length: 191m
Straight: 31m
Width: 3m

Last edited by ajj; 03-11-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ajj

He also said he would like to meet with those interested in the next few weeks which brings me to the next topic. We need to organise a time over the next few weeks to all meet at the track for an hour or two. I propose either the 19th, 20th, 26th or 27th to gather the track to talk to the MMACA, discuss upgrading of the track, and where we go from there. Bring our cars along and have a bash also! (bring all terrian style tyres if you have them, small pin tyres will wear out very fast!).
I might be busy 19-20 aswell, not completely sure yet.

Fine for the 26th though, sounds like thats when most people could come anyway.

Originally Posted by ajj
Had a bit of a play designing a track today...
Area: 37x25m
Length: 191m
Straight: 31m
Width: 3m
Mate, that layout looks great.
Looks like a lot of fun.

Heres a pic of a layout I found a while back that I thought looked alright.

I think I prefer yours though AJJ.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

That's more like it. We were limited to the space used, because of all the asphalt carparks, tether line flying circles and boat ponds that were going to be put in there....

Just remember this though; The more complex you make it, the more often you are going to have to resurface it because the little mongs on bmx's and pocket bikes will tear it up.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 PM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shimmy
I might be busy 19-20 aswell, not completely sure yet.

Fine for the 26th though, sounds like thats when most people could come anyway.
Ok it's starting to look like it'll be the 26th then.

Originally Posted by Badmuthatrucker
That's more like it. We were limited to the space used, because of all the asphalt carparks, tether line flying circles and boat ponds that were going to be put in there....

Just remember this though; The more complex you make it, the more often you are going to have to resurface it because the little mongs on bmx's and pocket bikes will tear it up.
Yeah I'm not sure how big the area is to use exactly, but if we can't build a good track what's the point of having a model park right? It can be compressed down to 34.5x21m by reducing the free space on the infield.

I've been thinking about how to keep bikes off the track. Aside from putting up 3m high chainlink fence with barbed wire on top, maybe large thick chain suspended about 50cm across the track between two poles at various places around the track. They wouldn't be able to ride through that...
Old 03-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

You might want to clear the redesign with Brian, but I'd be surprised if any more infrastructure will be added. It's been so long now.

As for keeping bikes off, it's impossible. Ryde has a perimeter fence, 8ft tall with those blanking style openings but the bikes still get in there.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:55 PM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Yeah Brian is going to come to our first meet, I'll contact him and the three others to make sure they can come on the 26th as well. I've made up a bit of an agender to be discussed at the meet:

Track - Changes to original, new layout
Protecting the track
Equipment - Sourcing clay, roller, bobcat, astroturf
Formation of club, remain a group or join STMCC
Form a committee
Fees and MMACA membership for liability cover
Club name
Race dates
Club website
Race classes
Race format

They are just some things I thought of...

Last edited by ajj; 03-13-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Incorporation is good (can only do it if you are a club). The major bonus is, in these days of litigation, is that if some random child wanders out onto the track and cops a buggy to the head and the parents sue, there is some sort of clause that stops everyone associated with the club from being taken to the cleaners.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:28 AM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Just a quick mock up of what the current Goodwood track could look like for your inspiration...
Old 03-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Awesome to see your eagerness AJ to get this happening. I've just got home from the onroad titles, and while we stayed there, Sam, Greenie, Scott and myself brought our offroaders there. While the track isn't perfect, i think with just a small working bee on there, it would become a great little track. If you don't get a government grant, resurfacing, extending the track will be a very expensive exercise. I think keep it simple for now, get the numbers, and get racing!! I know i would come to an occasional race!
Cheers
Paddy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.