Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats Wrong with Australia's Sponsored Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Having Met Greg ( jarred's dad ) at the nats this year i'd have to say that i wouldn't believe he'd mess with a setup before selling a car... why would he or jarred waste their time??

Anyways as for Zac's car,... if its the same car from that Nats... looked ok over in perth... Damn Aus post has alot to answer for!

Most of Australias "sponsored" drivers do have to pay for their gear to some degree but getting help is always welcomed... and as such they need to represent their sponsors...

Mike, let the person know that if any help with the RC8 is needed i'll help out when i head to whyalla...i can even give a starting point from the last time i was up there. i'll try and make the trip up next meet.

Glenn
Old 05-25-2009, 03:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Besercoe
There are very few sponsored drivers, in the way the avg person would consider a "sponsorship"
99.99% of people out there you would regard as sponsored merely recieved a wholesale less x% price from the importer.

Even the kankles, the best placing Aussie at an onroad electric worlds, pays for his stuff.
Keeping in mind there is a difference between a FACTORY guy and a SPONSORED guy.... Factory = Free and Sponsored = a discounted ride.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Every fast driver I know has had a "Mentor" at some stage in their career, and not just RC. Lewis Hamilton would not be in F1, if not for his mentor, his father, in this case.

Someone to turn too when help or guidance is required. This is what the sponsored drivers are supposed to be to the average racer.

I do have one question about this topic, did the manuals come with the cars???
If so, my logic says, check the set up, and compare it to the base setup in the manual. There should not be too much difference. If not sure how too set it up, ask someone to set it up. Most "club" racers would be happy to help.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr-s413bt
Having Met Greg ( jarred's dad ) at the nats this year i'd have to say that i wouldn't believe he'd mess with a setup before selling a car... why would he or jarred waste their time??

Anyways as for Zac's car,... if its the same car from that Nats... looked ok over in perth... Damn Aus post has alot to answer for!

Most of Australias "sponsored" drivers do have to pay for their gear to some degree but getting help is always welcomed... and as such they need to represent their sponsors...

Mike, let the person know that if any help with the RC8 is needed i'll help out when i head to whyalla...i can even give a starting point from the last time i was up there. i'll try and make the trip up next meet.

Glenn
Glenn I know what you are saying I must admit I dont remember meeting Jarrod or his dad at last years nats and he said it was left in the way they had it set up from there last clubby thats good for me but the way it was when it was put on the track and the only thing that was done to it was servos and the motor that came with it had a flywheel put on I would hate to see there club's track because it was all over the place on our track but hay no hard feelings this was never to piss people off.

As for Zac's car I never saw it when it arrived but I do know it had to be stripped and rebuild but thats what I would do anyway.

I'm sure he would welcome your imput as he now runs the RC8 and RC8T and things are getting very competitive down here as some of us get better.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
precisely, everyone drives differently, so for one track 10 different set ups may work well for 10 different drivers. If they all run PB's and say the car felt fast, then who is wrong?

Is it me or did this thread just come about because someone bought a 2nd handy and was pissed because it didn't have a world champion set up straight out of the post pack?

Knowing the guy that bought the car and seeing it first hand out of the box, how could a racer have a 'oval' type setup on the front end?

He is not saying that he wants a world champion car, but he has bought a car, and doesnt expect it to be that much out of setup.

I highly doubt that a racer would have a setup like that..... Please explain.....!

Last edited by MBR52; 05-25-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MBR52
Mate I think you should read before you gob off!
Brownie dont they teach diplomacy at school any more, there are nicer ways to say the same thing
Old 05-25-2009, 04:21 AM

anyway y didnt the ppl who bought the 2nd hand cars strip them down and setup the cars the way they wanted to suit their style of driving. I have bought a couple of 2nd hand cars from sponsored drivers and the first thing i did when i recieved them was to strip them down and rebuild the diffs with the oils that i know would suit my style of driving and the track i was racing on and setup the camber etc as well. Just makes sense to strip a 2nd hand car down and rebuild that way you know how it all goes together etc and it can be setup the way u want it
Old 05-25-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Kyosho_101
Brownie dont they teach diplomacy at school any more, there are nicer ways to say the same thing
Sozz mick, edited
Old 05-25-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

maybe if I stop helping people I'll get sponsored

Seriously though, I've never heard of a sponsored driver not being willing to help someone who's asked nicely. Giving someone a setup is something altogether different. A setup that is basically intellectual property so giving it away is personal preference
Old 05-25-2009, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Besercoe
hahahahahahahahahah awesome from 2 guys who used to race electric, including onroad

Yes much like the 90's were the hey day of electric TC, Noisy offroad is in a boom, wont last long, give it another year or two and there will be something else new, or at the very least 8th will be electric.

it just goes to show, the same guys will always be fast, given any class and some experience in the class, look at DC, Bakalalal, Walker, Gillot etc
i think you will find that we still race electric Bradley. I also think you will find Nitro buggy fad will probably last longer than a year or so.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BORMAC
Personaly Im sick of hearing people asking what ratio gearing to run at a given track, what is the winning set up and so on.
I dont think people who do all the R&D getting their cars right should have to share their set ups with everyone. What happened to the good old days when you learnt this stuff yourself?
While its nice to help educate fellow racers I think its kinda a joke to think you should rock up to a given track and expect the local fast guys to hand over their winning setups.
More people need to do their research and learn what set up is right for their driving style and the track conditions on the day.
I cant profess to be any kind of set up guru but I'd prefer to acheive results from my own hard work and not others.
Rant over.
I guess it depends if its opposition or someone who needs help. If a sponsored driver doesnt help a racer in need with setup or whatever, they shouldnt be a sponsored driver.

Results is only a percentage of a sponsored drivers job. Some of the best sponsored drivers ive ever come across over the years never won any majors.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Tech Regular

Ok I didnt really want to join into this debate but I think I need to clear a few things up....

I was a Factory sponsored driver for Hong Nor which was an awesome opportunity and they were great sponsors. My year contract ended after the Australian titles and I decided to have a break for a while. In a way of saying thankyou to the importer I gave all my gear back to them straight after the finals. All I did was take my engine out and hand over the car. No changes were made to the setup....I am guessing the car your friend bought was my car I used in the final, but I don't know, you would have to talk to the seller as it had nothing to do with me.

As a factory driver I believe you shouldn't sell your gear and I didn't, nor did I "change the setup"......
Old 05-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

as a (smaller) importer with a few sponsored drivers the past few years it is more important to have someone who has a good standing in the community and is willing to help out other drivers (even if they don't run my gear)

there is no point in sponsoring the fastest driver if he is a tool and is not respected.

Last edited by Rod M; 05-25-2009 at 05:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I guess my argument isn't realy with sponsored drivers but rather the need some people feel to 'copy' what everyone else is doing. I dont like the easy way out (thats probably why I race vintage buggies) and I'd rather learn why a certain set up works rather than take a carbon copy from everyone else.
I believe the Australian racing scene has a wealth of great drivers (and mechanics) to learn from but learn we must and stop looking for the easy way out. Only then will we all make great drivers and mechanics and truly enjoy the spoils of our victories.
Too many times have I seen or heard of drivers wanting the same car as the better drivers have. The funny thing is that some of the drivers could drive a shopping trolley well and still win.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ZacR
Ok I didnt really want to join into this debate but I think I need to clear a few things up....

I was a Factory sponsored driver for Hong Nor which was an awesome opportunity and they were great sponsors. My year contract ended after the Australian titles and I decided to have a break for a while. In a way of saying thankyou to the importer I gave all my gear back to them straight after the finals. All I did was take my engine out and hand over the car. No changes were made to the setup....I am guessing the car your friend bought was my car I used in the final, but I don't know, you would have to talk to the seller as it had nothing to do with me.

As a factory driver I believe you shouldn't sell your gear and I didn't, nor did I "change the setup"......
Zac first off I hope you come back to racing in the near future you were good to watch race. second like I said I knew you had nothing to do with that sale I was told it was your sponsor that sold it but your sponsor informed the buyer that martin cleaned it up and got it ready for shipping.

like I said I look forward to seeing you at a futur event

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.