Search

Whats Wrong with Australia's Sponsored Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danjoy25
Must be an OFF road issue as this thing doesn't happen to onroad
I disagree i find the biggest problem is at onroad But thats just me I am a bit ruff around the gills maybe I scare them
and ringo you are right would be awsome i should add that not too many if any Aussies get paid they just get the good bits for there cars but overseas is a big difference
Old 05-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just because the car was sold without a set up on it does not really mean much. The worse you could accuse the seller of is carelessness and poor attention to detail.

You fail to mention whether the buyer(s) asked the seller (sponsored driver) to provide them with a set-up sheet, or help them set the car up after purchase. If this help was not forthcoming, then that would be something to moan about.

If you strongly object to the behaviour of a sponsored driver, and think you have a genuine gripe, then you should write to their sponsor.

Cheers,
Scotty P.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ringo
Dude, I gotta get me one of these deals. Mechanics, paychecks- awesome!!! Must be one of those Hobao setups.
I have a sponsor, goes by the name "Bank Manager".

Only assistance I ever got was years ago driving an Associated RC500 in 1/8, 2wd class. Would get free fuel and maybe a set of tyres, only for title events. It wasn't much, but still was expected to help others drivers of the brand, both on and of the track.

Andrew
Old 05-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by julius_makewar
Dear oh dear Mick, what a thread to bring up.

But, you got me wanting to have a say. Just about every sponsored driver I have spoken to, online and in person, in oz and os, have been willing to offer their insights into RC.

Also, setups are rather personal, what suits one person may not suit another.

Cheers All
I would like to thank Tim Lee for his time a patients with my 008 over the weekend.

The cars handling varstly improved .5 quicker than before.

Unfortunatley my driving was as expected all over the place.

Keep up the great work.

Toaster.

a post from custom model cars thread after the weekends much-more event!
ive never heard of a sponsored driver messy a cars set-up when selling it!!
every meet ive ever been too all the sponsored drivers have been more then happy to help !! at summer nats this year i had ari bakla do a complete set-up on my car spend over an hour on it!!

Last edited by my t2; 05-24-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Suspended

Default What's wrong with Australia's Sponsored Drivers?

Originally Posted by Kyosho_101
Are Australia's Sponsored Drivers afraid they will be beaten and then loss there sponsorship if they help club racers with setup's?

I know 2 people that have brought 1/8 scale buggies from drivers that are sponsored

The first was a Hong Nor it was in excellent condition but the set up had been messed up completely.

The second was an Associated which again was in great condition but the set up of the car was all over the place.

Both cars were almost undriveable in there arriving condition, both cars were from sponsored drivers.

Aren't sponsored drivers representatives of the brand they run and meant to help out the fans of those brands.

US and Euro drivers are always helping out club racers so whats the problem in Australia.

Now I open the floor to every one that disagrees with me

Side Note: I do not say all sponsored drivers are like this I know of several that have been more than happy to help out other drivers it just seems like a growing trend.

Flame away

What's wrong with Australia's Sponsored Drivers you ask?

It's simple.... They are upset at constantly getting beat by American drivers...
Old 05-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are Australia's Sponsored Drivers afraid they will be beaten and then loss there sponsorship if they help club racers with setup's?

I know 2 people that have brought 1/8 scale buggies from drivers that are sponsored

Flame away
You know two people.. and they had a hard time driving those cars... or the setups camber was out??

Honeslty, there is not one Sponsored driver out there that is scared of beeing beaten.

generally, all unsponsored drivers that have potential are kept a close eye on, if they show that they could be a contender, then often you will find the company or team of the car they are using will approach them with help.

We want more competition. and to be beaten is a good thing, it means more of a challenge.

where are you from Kyosho 101??

please pm me with the name of the associated driver who sold his car and i will pind out the details for you on this matter.,

It could have been an old car.. or a setup he was testing that was not very good and forgot to change back to kit befor sale.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

If your a factory driver you should not be selling your cars anyway.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by s.nicholson
If your a factory driver you should not be selling your cars anyway.

They would not have been factory drivers,

There are only Four Factory AE drivers, and i know they would noit have sold there rc8's
Old 05-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ok at first I was just putting it out there for discusion but since it has gotten a bit of interest here are the details

the Hong Nor was owned by Zac before he stopped running Hong Nor but the car was cleaned up and sent by (so I'm told) Martin W

The Associated was owned by Jarred K who has swoped from AE to LRP

The RC8 I know was not striped down as it came with a pile of spares.

The only point I was trying to make was not that cars should be setup for racing that we all have to do our selves but you can not so me any track on this planet that requires the camber and all other adjustments to be so far out from each other i.e. left front wheel +9 degrees camber right front wheel -9 degrees (this is over exageration to prove a point)
Old 05-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ringo
Dude, I gotta get me one of these deals. Mechanics, paychecks- awesome!!! Must be one of those Hobao setups.
Ooooooh... He went there.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Ok at first I was just putting it out there for discusion but since it has gotten a bit of interest here are the details

the Hong Nor was owned by Zac before he stopped running Hong Nor but the car was cleaned up and sent by (so I'm told) Martin W

The Associated was owned by Jarred K who has swoped from AE to LRP

The RC8 I know was not striped down as it came with a pile of spares.

The only point I was trying to make was not that cars should be setup for racing that we all have to do our selves but you can not so me any track on this planet that requires the camber and all other adjustments to be so far out from each other i.e. left front wheel +9 degrees camber right front wheel -9 degrees (this is over exageration to prove a point)
Jarred has never been part of team Associated, only a privateer running that as his chosen car.

i would presume, that the camber was like that due to a quick sale., perhaps they replaced the upper arm and did not check the camber.

Josh,
Old 05-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

It would be nice for someone in the know to elaborate for us meer "privateers" what a sponsored driver means,
eg what sort of deal do they get....can't be much, considering how amature the hobby is...flack suit on!
(interested in on-road only)
Old 05-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Anyone who pays the bills other than the driver. Im sponsored as my wife pays for the things I need.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

Originally Posted by danjoy25
Anyone who pays the bills other than the driver. Im sponsored as my wife pays for the things I need.
Gee, that makes me a sponsored driver too...cool!
Seriously, was hoping for a bit more detail than that
Old 05-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

you would think that some one would make sure that they were correct before they made wild acusations on the internet just incase they end up looking like a total tool infront of the entire racing community.
I am jarred's father and i am the one who bought the rc8 with my own money,maintained it, worked on set up, cleaned it and sold it . The car is exactly in the set up form as to how it was used on its last outing at our local club. There has been no atempt by Jarred or myself to hide the "ultimate" set up from the new owner. I believe the new owner is very happy with his purchase. Jarred has a sponsership deal to drive lrp and that is why there was an rc8 laying around but as painy has already stated there was no sponsered deal with associated.
Obviously you have allso never met Zac Ryan or you would not have even thought of questioning his integrity. One of the most honest and helpfull guys in rc.... and just a nice bloke.
Personaly... i have only good things to report about sponsered drivers in this country and as a result of asking advice from the team drivers,i have made some good friends in the RC community.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.