.............yawn
ROTFL

Darryn
Old 05-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
.............yawn
You should be yawning at that time of night!
Not getting younger!!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Rod M
as a (smaller) importer with a few sponsored drivers the past few years it is more important to have someone who has a good standing in the community and is willing to help out other drivers (even if they don't run my gear)
there is no point in sponsoring the fastest driver if he is a tool and is not respected.
100% correct!
I was taken very good care of by the previous owner of HarrisRC not because I won anything of note but because I promoted his business & it showed, far more important than a passing victory

No one showed us much at all when we started, a few words perhaps but no great direction was given, trial & error & thats not a bad thing, you learn & earn your stripes..
Old 05-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BORMAC
I guess my argument isn't realy with sponsored drivers but rather the need some people feel to 'copy' what everyone else is doing. I dont like the easy way out (thats probably why I race vintage buggies) and I'd rather learn why a certain set up works rather than take a carbon copy from everyone else.
I believe the Australian racing scene has a wealth of great drivers (and mechanics) to learn from but learn we must and stop looking for the easy way out. Only then will we all make great drivers and mechanics and truly enjoy the spoils of our victories.
Too many times have I seen or heard of drivers wanting the same car as the better drivers have. The funny thing is that some of the drivers could drive a shopping trolley well and still win.
I agree with you completey Jason, I'd prefer to get my second hand cars in a bag completely stripped. When you buy a car you get a heaps of parts, you shouldn't expect a setup too. People should learn why a car is fast, god knows there is enough info on the web regarding cars and good set ups. I drive an RB-5 and if I bought the latest parts and set-ups every time Tebo sneezes I couldn't afford to race at all. But by all means if we are total newbies then ask away, just ask why, not what.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Besercoe
hahahahahahahahahah awesome from 2 guys who used to race electric, including onroad
I dont understand what your getting at champ??

Do you mind elaborating.

Note: Last time i checked i was the current WA touring car champ and race a fair few events over here.

So i dont understand the "USED" to statement.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Addict

There are very few sponsored drivers, in the way the avg person would consider a "sponsorship"
99.99% of people out there you would regard as sponsored merely recieved a wholesale less x% price from the importer.

Even the kankles, the best placing Aussie at an onroad electric worlds, pays for his stuff.
What ya talking about lol im sponsored.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Certainly nothing "wrong" with Simon Nicholson. He was very approachable and helpful to me with my Phi at the Reedy Race this past weekend. Even though I am...an American.

Funny story (sorry Simon)...We went to an Outback Steakhouse for dinner one night at the Reedy. Simon ordered a steak and asked for it to be cooked "rare". The waitress very nicely informed him that 'rare' meant cold in the center at this particular restaurant. So, they settled on 'medium rare' to eliminate the cold center.

Then the waitress queried him with..."And your two sides?". Initially, Simon looked at her in puzzlement. Then, he said "Do you mean I have to tell you how I want each side (of the steak) done too". Whereupon, she returned the look. And, we totally cracked up while she told him about the available 'side dishes' for his meal. You had to be there.

Simon may well be the Australian version of our Matt Francis...

Bill
Old 05-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill

Simon may well be the Australian version of our Matt Francis...

Bill

Doesnt Matt Francis have ankles either????

Awesome story about the steakhouse, i could imagine the blank look on his face.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Doesnt Matt Francis have ankles either????

Awesome story about the steakhouse, i could imagine the blank look on his face.
Actually, Matt was spectating and visiting at the Reedy during the weekend. I do not think I have ever seen him is better shape physically...ankles and all...He has been riding his mountain bike for sure...in his retirement.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
.............yawn
Careful Louey, your making me tired im gonna start snoring......