Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 ELECTRIC ON ROAD TIRE PRICE WATCH

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drifting101
Tires play the biggest roll on a mini. I would rather run with no oil in my shocks, crappy spring combo and with good tires rather than a prefect mini with crappy tires
I didnt say run crappy tires. I simply said that Saying somone running 60D tires is an advantage over other "cheaper" brands is not entirley correct. There are many brands that work. Comes down to driving style and setup.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Number09
Daza,
I have also tried the 60d's and didn't like them. I also managed to run the fastest lap at both the last two meets last meet with Team Power 36's, and the meet before with 32's, so I wouldn't consider the 60d's give any unfair advantage that needs to be ironed out.

I gave my 60d's to a guy, who loved them and was running up the front, and they didn't show any signs of wear from a whole meet.

Also the mini tires last for at least three meets, so it isnt so much of a problem if a set of tires cost alittle more when divided by at least three.

Anyway, the tyres are only $18 a pair plus rims and inserts, so not sure where the 30 a pair was from! Total with rims and insetrst is 51.50 from Feral, cheaper than your tyres!!

I think you would find that different tyres suit different styles, and people should be able to choose, however the people that can drive would still be winning if there was a control tyre.
Ben 60 d s don't wear as bad at our track as the others do.

Yes the tyres are $18 a Pair but by the time you add the inserts and the rims and postage works out to around the $30 mark.

The 36 i got through feral and were close enough to $52.00

Originally Posted by RCMADMAN
Good point Ben. Mini is all about consistant driving. Tires play a small part. The top guy at our club has no secrets, no bling shit. He just drives smooth as a babys but!
He is running 60 d's

Originally Posted by Drifting101
Tires play the biggest roll on a mini. I would rather run with no oil in my shocks, crappy spring combo and with good tires rather than a prefect mini with crappy tires
I know Tyres have the biggest roll on a mini and the point i am trying to make is that the 60ds are a greater diameter which in turn gives a better top end hence why the speeds are higher.

The main point i am trying to make is after working in Purchasing that it makes more sense for a club to decide on a control tyre and buy a quantity of them direct from a Wholesaler and make a little bit of money for the club.

That way then it saves money as if you were to buy for argument sake 100 Pairs you would get them cheaper then buying 50 Pairs and could pass on the savings and make a little bit of money for the club.

Its no different to numerous amounts of Motorsport around the world where there is a control tyre which then leaves it to setup and driving to make it.

I think the point we all have to keep in mind is that the Economic crisis hasnt had its full affect yet and that we should try and see where we can contain costs.

Would be intresting to see if the top mini would do just as well as running another set of tyres and not the 60 d's

Just some thoughts as the Money gets tighter its the Luxurys that get cut back.

Cheers

Daza
Old 02-21-2009, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It's funny how the wheel has turned (pun intended)

Previously we used to complain that batteries were too expensive and that maintaining both our batteries and brushed motors were equally expensive

Now with the introduction of Lipo and brushless motors and minimum maintenance they bring, now it's the expense of tires which has become the focus.

Control tire at club level is a difficult one, if you have one or two large events in your state or interstate their is a good chance that the control tire will be different to what the club has chosen. This then prevents those on a budget that have left over tires from running them.

With mini there is another potential issue and that is supply, over the past few years mini tire availability in one brand or another has been patchy. You may end up having to switch mid season if one becomes temporarily unavailable. Where is that going to be fair on someone that has bought a lot of sets and suddenly not being able to run them because the club has had to change.

I know at our club the tire choice will be exactly that "Choice", and as long as the tire fits the rules for the particular class it will be ok.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Daza 888 Fan

Would be intresting to see if the top mini would do just as well as running another set of tyres and not the 60 d's

Just some thoughts as the Money gets tighter its the Luxurys that get cut back.

Cheers

Daza

How about you come and run with 60 d's and try beat him

I would be keen to see him throw on a set of other tires for one run to see the difference. Might ask him nicely next meet!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:04 AM
Tech Addict

How about you come and run with 60 d's and try beat him

I would be keen to see him throw on a set of other tires for one run to see the difference. Might ask him nicely next meet!
I Reckon he would be near the front still if not leading he is a good driver and as far as i know an engineer by trade.

Originally Posted by B4james
It's funny how the wheel has turned (pun intended)

Previously we used to complain that batteries were too expensive and that maintaining both our batteries and brushed motors were equally expensive

Now with the introduction of Lipo and brushless motors and minimum maintenance they bring, now it's the expense of tires which has become the focus.

Control tire at club level is a difficult one, if you have one or two large events in your state or interstate their is a good chance that the control tire will be different to what the club has chosen. This then prevents those on a budget that have left over tires from running them.

With mini there is another potential issue and that is supply, over the past few years mini tire availability in one brand or another has been patchy. You may end up having to switch mid season if one becomes temporarily unavailable. Where is that going to be fair on someone that has bought a lot of sets and suddenly not being able to run them because the club has had to change.

I know at our club the tire choice will be exactly that "Choice", and as long as the tire fits the rules for the particular class it will be ok.

Thats the main point as well james with supply 1 week you can get some mini tyres the next week the supplier is out of stock.

Buying in bulk at a club level would ensure consistant stock all season.

At the same time with choice racers have that as well as to where they race.

Was just addressing an issue i can see is going to continue on while the dolar is all over the shop where prices will go up.

Prices will go up which then might also have resellers holding off on purchases which then can also cause supply issues as well.

The idea of control tyres is to help contain cost and maintain supply.

any way

daza
Old 02-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

I hear what you are trying to say Dazza,

However the problem is though that when buying in bulk most people don't have the cash to buy bulk sets at the same time. This means the club has to put the funds up which leads to club funds being tied up in tires until people decide they want them.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Addict

Hi James

Fair call however tracks like Nemcc that chew through tyres

For Example with the current track layout i average 3 to 4 meets out of a set

Harley is getting similar

However with the track change the other week it chewed thru them even quicker and they were gone after 2 meets.

So what i am saying is that we would be using them more often and depending on how much we could save as a club buy could encourage more
Purchased by each person.

By Now the club should have a bit of money left over to do something like this???

Cheers

Daza
Old 02-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Hi James

4 meets out a set of tires is a very good return. I wouldnt say NEMCC chews through tires. You are making the track sound a lot worse than it is. We run touring car mod and 1/12 with no complaints. I dont see why running a mini around for 5 heats is such a big deal for you.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dazza,
I have some 60D's you are very welcome to try. As I said I already gave a pair to another guy who liked them. I didn't like them and didn't notice much/any advantage in running them. That way we can see if you will be running up the front with the "unfair" tires
It also looks like they will last 5 meets easily, so they are very cost effective......
Ben
Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Tech Addict

4 meets out a set of tires is a very good return. I wouldnt say NEMCC chews through tires. You are making the track sound a lot worse than it is. We run touring car mod and 1/12 with no complaints. I dont see why running a mini around for 5 heats is such a big deal for you.
Marco out of all the different Tracks i have raced on around Australia NEMCC is the Hardest on tyres and Parts as well Other Tracks you can get 6 months or more out of tyres.

I know smooth driving is key in mini but with the economy in the toilet just thinking ahead where will suppliers be in 6 months what will the prices be then??

Originally Posted by Number09
Dazza,
I have some 60D's you are very welcome to try. As I said I already gave a pair to another guy who liked them. I didn't like them and didn't notice much/any advantage in running them. That way we can see if you will be running up the front with the "unfair" tires
It also looks like they will last 5 meets easily, so they are very cost effective......
Ben
Lol Ben you crack me up thanks for the offer mate but due to other comitments it will be a while though before i get back to the track.

However i Know Harley is wanting to try the 60 ds as well so maybee he could try them out at the next meet and pass them on.

Cheers

Daza
Old 02-22-2009, 04:04 AM
Tech Elite

So if I do the math over 6 months, you are saying that you can be competitive on tires that have done 60 or so five minute heats, maybe your onto something there Dazza and that is why they are called 60D's

6 months on a set of tires, we should get that surface and replicate it as I would only have to buy 2 sets for the entire year.

Seriously though, no track I have run on has allowed me to use to tires that have had potentially 40-60 runs and still be competitive.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hi James

For Example with the current track layout i average 3 to 4 meets out of a set

Harley is getting similar

However with the track change the other week it chewed thru them even quicker and they were gone after 2 meets.

So what i am saying is that we would be using them more often and depending on how much we could save as a club buy could encourage more
Purchased by each person.

By Now the club should have a bit of money left over to do something like this???

Cheers

Daza
The clubs financials are not to purchase rubber tryes to make things easier for you or for your class.
The money is to be used to maintain the rostrum, computer, track hire, ribbons and trophies. (things like that)
Otherwise the club can purchase for me my bodies, foam tyres, motors and batteries!
If you are that concerned about tyres prices, dont purchase any, you will save a bit of money, if you dont purchase any bodies, batteries or just dont even run you will save heaps.
Looking for the cheapest place to purchase your products is fine, but its going to cost you something at the end of the day.
Damit.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Damit
The clubs financials are not to purchase rubber tryes to make things easier for you or for your class.
The money is to be used to maintain the rostrum, computer, track hire, ribbons and trophies. (things like that)
Otherwise the club can purchase for me my bodies, foam tyres, motors and batteries!
If you are that concerned about tyres prices, dont purchase any, you will save a bit of money, if you dont purchase any bodies, batteries or just dont even run you will save heaps.
Looking for the cheapest place to purchase your products is fine, but its going to cost you something at the end of the day.
Damit.
Damit,

I'm not asking for the club to buy tyres i was just thinking that with the world economy going down the toilet and the amount of mini entries we get it might be time to look at a control tyre to try and save some costs and to also ensure we have stock.

Whats to say that 6 months down the track that the dolar wont be worse or that the main suppliers that are bringing in the spares here in aus will have stock.

I just think like all forms of motorsport at the moment we should be looking at where we can save money accross the board.

It was mainly an idea to try and make some money for the club as well but by the looks of the responses on here its just a wasted idea.

I know that supply is the next issue after cost and if there was a maker of tyres that made mini tyres as well as touring car tyres we could have saved some money and made a bit for the club as well.

Rc Racing especially mini shouldnt be a case of whos wallet is bigger and the main idea is to have fun. Something that is hard to do when you are watching the dollars.

And to suggest to a fellow club member to not come is a great idea as well !!!

The last thing i want to see is that the cost is so great that people leave the sport or that supply is non existent and people can't race.

Realy at the end of the day just thinking of how the club could encourage more people to race.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

ANYWAY.........

What is the price people are paying for much more absolutes set of 4 around the place, Who has them in stock?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Control tyres for club racing don't work. Not all people can get their cars to work on a defined set of tyres therefore they don't run and the class dies. I have seen this happen before.

Tyres are the best way to tune a mini from what I see. Everytime we have a mini event here in sydney all the mini guys are running around trying different combos and talking about what was good and what sucked. They all say they hardly ever touch their setup, just change tyres. If you make a control tyre it sounds like you would lose they ability to even setup your mini.

This is what I see from my perspective.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.