Search
Like Tree3Likes

M03/M05's - The Aussie Mini Racing thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Martin,

I will catch up with you hopefully before Xmas. Perhaps we should have a practice run at Whalan. I have some new things I want to test before the Summer Nats.

I'm hoping to find some more speed prior to the CC rounds and some different tyre combinations. I also want to test a short wheelbase car with a couple of different bodies.

TP,

Sometimes you need that time alone or with ya mates to recharge your batteries. We all know that toy cars and insert either wife/girlfriend/daughter don't neccessarily go together.

Sometimes the gift required to butter them up far exceeds the reason for racing.....

Later,

Calvin.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anyone got any hot tips for tyres at the summernats that I should look at?? My kit contains mostly xpatterns, sweeps, shimizu and solaris rubber.

Not looking for your most personal secrets but just a starting point..

Cheers

Jason
Old 12-15-2010, 01:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wylie27
Anyone got any hot tips for tyres at the summernats that I should look at?? My kit contains mostly xpatterns, sweeps, shimizu and solaris rubber.

Not looking for your most personal secrets but just a starting point..

Cheers

Jason

Jason,

very simple ... Ride 3035 up front and Cross 36 on the rear ... works on virtually every outdoor track
Old 12-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Sometimes the gift required to butter them up far exceeds the reason for racing.....

Why do I get this funny feeling you've done this b4 Calvin???
Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 AM
Tech Elite

Jason,

Greg is correct for tyre choice. Use a 5mm medium insert in the Ride fronts and a 5.5mm medium insert in the Cross rears. A smaller insert in the rear will make that end gripper 5mm works pretty good.

I haven't tried other brands of inserts on the rear. Although I know others that run far softer inserts than I do. I have also found that some mini rims actually make the inserts a firmer fit in the tyre which can make the car push into corners. I have found that a rim with a little bit of give is best. My preference is the Cross and sweep rims as they both feel very similar and have a little give.

Hit me up for some practice at Whalan if you want. I have finished my real work until mid Jan next year, other than the work list I received from the wife regarding the house.

damaniac,

I've had my share of buttering up to do. A lot of it has to do with the job and hardly being home. However the expensive gifts don't always work, cause they think you have something to hide. Yes I do, my wallet.

Later,

Calvin.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caltek1
Jason,
I've had my share of buttering up to do. A lot of it has to do with the job and hardly being home. However the expensive gifts don't always work, cause they think you have something to hide. Yes I do, my wallet.

Later,

Calvin.
Maybe try a dummy wallet in your pocket w' no cash & hide the real one??? Will be great if Greg & a few of you Sydney sider's could make the trip down for the Nat's. I think you have already had a taste of the awesome track & how awesome it is. Not sure if you got to run your mini on it though? The control tyres whatever they are will make it interesting also.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by damaniac
Maybe try a dummy wallet in your pocket w' no cash & hide the real one??? Will be great if Greg & a few of you Sydney sider's could make the trip down for the Nat's. I think you have already had a taste of the awesome track & how awesome it is. Not sure if you got to run your mini on it though? The control tyres whatever they are will make it interesting also.
Speaking of tires what do the guys commonly run now at Bendigo that works?
Oh and count my son and I to be there for the Nats, planning on hitting more outdoor track racing for 2011
Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

G'day John,

It might be pointless to ask what they are running now at Bendigo, if they are going to use a contol tyre for the Mini Nats.

My guess would be the Ride 3035's for the front and Cross 36 rear. However not sure if they will use round edge or square edge rear tyre. Normally use the Spice 5mm medium insert for both.

The above combination works at almost every track I have been too recently. Although some prefer the rear Cross with a 5.5mm medium insert.

Regards,

Calvin.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:48 PM
NT
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hi John,

Calvin is right.

The Spice 36/28 combo works too.

We'll be sorting out control tires once the Christmas period gets out of the way
Old 12-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Is anyone interested in an M05 Pro, with all the TRF hop-up's except sway bars. Have a few spare HW systems & servo's, so can work something out if anyones interested.

I'm going to order the Tech CF-R and run it up until the Nats.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

G'day John,

It might be pointless to ask what they are running now at Bendigo, if they are going to use a contol tyre for the Mini Nats.

My guess would be the Ride 3035's for the front and Cross 36 rear. However not sure if they will use round edge or square edge rear tyre. Normally use the Spice 5mm medium insert for both.

The above combination works at almost every track I have been too recently. Although some prefer the rear Cross with a 5.5mm medium insert.

Regards,

Calvin.
Hi Calvin,

Its never pointless to ask the question when your about to venture into racing outdoors, especially for me because I mainly run a car for indoor carpet!!

I popped the question mainly to our Bendigo boys that are hosting the Nats so I can get a general idea of the possible combo that might well be used, thats all

G'day NT,

Thanks on the info.

Lately I've been testing tires as well and the Cross3035 F & Spice 28 R just make the car feel like it’s on rails. It's great when the tire choice is correct so that you can just get on with concentrating on the driving!

John
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

John

That is a Ride 3035 not Cross 3035
Old 12-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

.... toy cars....
carefull, many take big offense to have their hobby called 'toy cars'

I know which of my cars are toy's... the ones I cant get in & drive to work.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

John,

The use of controlled tyres is a great idea and we have seen that it works from previous races. Everyone has to adapt there car setup/driving style to suit so all are in the same situation.

At every meeting where a controlled tyre combination has been used for mini the Ride 3035 and Cross 36 have been the nominated tyres with either the 5mm medium or 5.5mm medium spice insert.

Until they announce the nominated tyre combination, the above is what I would use for my initial car setup.

If it is hot in Bendigo at that time of year, you may find that the Spice 28's as a rear tyre maybe a bad choice. The heat from the track will/could make them a handfull on your car. I could be wrong, however if the track is as grippy as it was at the Nationals they will wear very fast.

Re-edit

I have been advised that Bendigo is cold at that time of year, so the 28's could be a good thing for the rear or use tyre warmers.

Just my opinion. Good luck with your venture outdoors.

At the end of the day my wife and daughter will always consider them as toy cars .... No matter what I think.

For me they are much more than that:

They are a reason to have fun, share ideas, meet like minded people and enjoy being alive.

Take Care, Happy RC Racing,

Calvin.

Last edited by caltek1; 12-16-2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: revised text
Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cannon
John

That is a Ride 3035 not Cross 3035

Ooops, right you are Greg

Calvin

At the end of the day I'm all for the control tire which ever combo it ends up being that works. Its a bit like the 1:1 race catergories today, control tires for everyone and a level playing field..................sort of

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.