Community
Wiki Posts
Search

gp3300's discharging at only 3000mah!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 06:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by syntex1
has anyone tried storing their packs at 5.4 with a soldered wire between + and negative terminals? aparently its good for stock guys at it raises voltage but lowers runtime
hahahaha, thats a classic, the first thing they would do is heat up and start leaking

Last edited by Slabism; 08-26-2003 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

New charging updates for GP 3300’s

SMC is really growing at a rapid pace and we will continue to keep the best quality possible. We will not sacrifice quality even though we are producing higher amounts of cells.I have been testing many methods of setting up my matchers in the past 6 months or so. Here is the latest care info that we have been using on the newer high voltage GP's.1: After a run discharge the pack down to 3.6 (4 cell) and 5.4 (6 cell) let it rest until the next time you plan on using it.

Before you go to charge it put the pack on a pure resistor (no diodes) use a tray such as the Integy Indi Octane 2, for 2-3 minutes and then charge it.

This will improve the runtime by a few seconds and keep the voltage and AIR in good shape.

2: For those who aren't concerned about capacity you can use the following method

After a run discharge the pack down to 3.6 (4 cell) and 5.4 (6 cell) and then place it on the resistor only tray for 5 minutes or so then short the pack and store it shorted until the next time you plan on using it.

If you run your pack a second time in one day you should put it on the resistor only tray for 45 - 60 minutes and then let it rest until you are ready to use it again

This method will drop the runtime by 20-25 seconds but will increase the average voltage and may reduce the AIR.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

he is serious about the dead shorting... leave the pack dead shorted untill you use it again,, 1 or 2 weeks later
Old 08-26-2003, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Painy
New charging updates for GP 3300’s

After a run discharge the pack down to 3.6 (4 cell) and 5.4 (6 cell) and then place it on the resistor only tray for 5 minutes or so then short the pack and store it shorted until the next time you plan on using it.

i stand corrected.

still find it a little hard to believe
Old 08-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

To dead short a pack I think you have to stick the pack on an equalizer and wait till all the lights go out, then solder positive to neg terminals and store it that way. I think it stops the cells natural effect of gaining voltage when sitting, it lowers the Internal resistance and gains voltage, which results in less run time. Is this correct or would the cells go into reversal if you let the lights go out?

Last edited by fatdoggy; 08-26-2003 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

thanks painy,

So you dont put in 30% charge into the pack after a discharge to store it? i heard that you do because leaving them discharged damages them.??

I used a home made discharger and got my whole pack down to sub 1 V (on the volt meter) and after that it charged at 3900 but then discharged at 3000 still. (because of the cutoff i guess)

THis was scabbed off the trinity site:

3) How should I store my batteries between races?
Discharge the pack down to .9 volts per cell which is. 5.40 volts for a 6 cell. Then store
them until the next race. If you plan on not running them for a few weeks, add a little charge to them (1 minute on a charger). These cell deteriorate quickly when left at a
low voltage point. Always store with at least .9 volts per cell in a pack.

also this:

What's most damaging to my Trinity cells?
Leaving the cells without charge is the worst thing, but overcharging and
hard discharging are close.

"Heat is the enemy of Ni-MH cells" oops...damn

and this:

Since Ni-MH cells have no discharge memory, there is no need to discharge them completely. Ni-MH cells must be stored with at least a 40% charge in them. Storing packs in a fully discharged state will deteriorate the performance over time.

yeah as someone said and you can see that there are lots of different opinions.

still we can keep sharing info and learn about batteries...
Old 08-26-2003, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

there are a million different way of stooring a cell.. just do what you want..

but in the case of your packs 414..you wont make it anybetter as the damadge has allready been done.

did you discharge each cell individually?? cause if you didnt..you prolly reverse polorised some cells and stuffed your pack even more.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by contact
there seem to be as many ways to treat nimh batteries as there are racers!

each matcher has their own reccomended routine its close to impossible for the punter to pick the 'right way'
Old 08-26-2003, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Painy
there are a million different way of stooring a cell.. just do what you want..

but in the case of your packs 414..you wont make it anybetter as the damadge has allready been done.

did you discharge each cell individually?? cause if you didnt..you prolly reverse polorised some cells and stuffed your pack even more.

Opps....more damage/....wont discharging individually unequalise da pack?....or can you discharge each cell with the cdc and will that act as an equaliser?
Old 08-27-2003, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Just discharge your pack to 5.4 volts and you will be safe. charge at 6 amps. discharge at 20.

come talk to me and i will talk to you about it more.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:37 AM
Tech Addict

okies....i will do

How come to charge them at 6 amps now??...what happened to 5?

i have a Big problem....my parts wont arrive till next week....

that means i can't race...
My friend said i can use his car....i might...but he has only 1 battery which is newer and less used than mine....so i dont want the same thing to happed to his battery....and he has a TC3 so my saddles dont fit properly so i cant use them.

i Will probably still come and watch for a while...and talk to people....

damn.,....i really wanted to go this fri....i want to race on the TcS track!....fun fun fun....but i will have none.......ehehe hey that rhymes.

cya friday
Old 08-27-2003, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

sorry.. yeah 5
Old 08-27-2003, 01:14 AM
Tech Rookie

There is a good article on duracells site all about Ni-MH batteries and charge/discharge properties.

http://www.duracell.com/oem/Pdf/others/TECHBULL.pdf
Old 08-27-2003, 04:46 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks firetooth. Ill finish reading it later.

I cycled my battery and here are the results:
Gp 3300 Integy matched.

(discharged @ 20 amp and charged @ 5 amp)

charge from discharged to CDC cutoff:
capacity: 3110 mah, peak: 9.026 volt, IR: 38

Dischage after the charge above. (once cooled)
capacity: 2921 mah, Average volt: 6.874, IR: 34

Yeah....IS THIS any good??? compare to your batteries...then to how i have been treating them>...
Old 08-27-2003, 05:01 AM
Tech Addict

I broke my car last friday while catching 1st place stock in the final just after hitting a dome and losing 1st position to a great driver Josh Pain.
Close racing -> i like it

Very bad....
see...

this is a pic of my gp 33's discharging on my CDC to get the results of my previous post.

This is my home workbench after a crash breaking the front chub and surrounding pieces:

I finally got the URLs to work

Last edited by 414m2; 08-27-2003 at 11:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.