Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

FEAR FARM RC RACEWAY

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by akiyama77
whats the schedule for sunday? can't make it sat. but is sunday open for practice?
anybody
I just heard a semi-official no for Sunday. I'm heading over there in a few to find out for sure.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by Dbackmasta
They're working on power improvements, in fact they will be working on many upgrades in the near future. This Saturday I'll be out there running races and actually racing myself :-). Noon start..
I'm hoping to make it out Saturday.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

They're working on power improvements, in fact they will be working on many upgrades in the near future. This Saturday I'll be out there running races and actually racing myself :-). Noon start..
Is this 1/8th scale or 1/10th scale Kenny?
Old 04-22-2011, 03:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sounds like fun. Gonna try to make it out and run with you KB
Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
Yep, mine was doing the same thing. I just figured my power supply was drawing too much amperage. It pulls somewhere around 47 amps.
Originally Posted by msciarrotta
How does it draw more current than it is supplying? It must have been hot!!

Current draw should be about 1/2 an amp higher than your total charge rate. Just enough for the led and display on your charger. I would try a 12v computer supply from frys. The have a very clean dc output.

Matt
I'm using a CheckPoint power supply, 25 amp capable. I only charge 10 amps though. Again, I don't have this issue at other facilities or home, so I will not be investing in another power supply only to possibly find out I'll have the same issue.

There is no way I'll be able to come back out to FF for practice/or race until the power issues are resolved. Which sucks, because it is really my favorite place to run.

ben
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by armourbl
I'm using a CheckPoint power supply, 25 amp capable. I only charge 10 amps though. Again, I don't have this issue at other facilities or home, so I will not be investing in another power supply only to possibly find out I'll have the same issue.

There is no way I'll be able to come back out to FF for practice/or race until the power issues are resolved. Which sucks, because it is really my favorite place to run.

ben
Just hook it up to your car battery.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Juice
I think that was happening to chizzle when we were out there. I dont know how they have it set up but I did see 1 very long and thin extension cord running from the big generator close to the freeway towards the tracks.
Here is what is happening. The more cords you plug in, daisy chained from one power strip to another to another The more voltage drop you will get. We all use thin extension cords and daisy chain them. The thicker cords should be in line first and as you go down the line use the smaller cords. Electronic equipment like we use is designed to operate between 110-130 volts. Once you drop below 110 V you will have problems like you are experiencing
Old 04-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Just hook it up to your car battery.
I know people do it, but I'm not down with that.

Originally Posted by Sparky4u
Here is what is happening. The more cords you plug in, daisy chained from one power strip to another to another The more voltage drop you will get. We all use thin extension cords and daisy chain them. The thicker cords should be in line first and as you go down the line use the smaller cords. Electronic equipment like we use is designed to operate between 110-130 volts. Once you drop below 110 V you will have problems like you are experiencing
For me, I understood this through pure common sense. But, it is nice that you explained it in technical terms.

Ultimately, they need to fix the power. Looks like they are, and I'm glad for that.

ben
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

I know people do it, but I'm not down with that.
I'm just curious, but why? These are 12 volt chargers, they're made to be hooked up to a 12 volt battery.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

I'm just curious, but why? These are 12 volt chargers, they're made to be hooked up to a 12 volt battery.
I know it is possible, but I just don't want to hassle with it or worry about draining my car battery. Also don't want to shorten the life of the battery either.

I have enough batteries that I can charge ahead of time and get in some practice, but not really enough for a race night. I have to be able to charge on race nights. Ultimately, this is one of the amenities that the track needs to provide well, just like having a groomed and watered track. Power should be there in my opinion.

Worst case, I rather bring a small Honda generator if I had to, rather than charge off my car battery. But, I don't own a generator....

ben
Old 04-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

I know it is possible, but I just don't want to hassle with it or worry about draining my car battery. Also don't want to shorten the life of the battery either.

I have enough batteries that I can charge ahead of time and get in some practice, but not really enough for a race night. I have to be able to charge on race nights. Ultimately, this is one of the amenities that the track needs to provide well, just like having a groomed and watered track. Power should be there in my opinion.

Worst case, I rather bring a small Honda generator if I had to, rather than charge off my car battery. But, I don't own a generator....

ben
It hardly drains your car battery but if you're that concerned here's another option. Usually on those big generators there's a few outlets. Just go plug directly into it and avoid the extension cords.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What time do gates open saturday?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:05 PM
MTR
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aznitronut
What time do gates open saturday?
10am i think
Old 04-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

ben
FWIW, I charge my RC batteries ALL DAY off my car battery and have no problems. Been doing it for years. The car battery can take it unless it's almost dead on it's own. Just my experience. :-)

-jlt
Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Sparky4u

What

You a FREAKING electrician or something

Yup what HE said

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.