Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Actually, I should mention that the mod I did is not the same as the one done on Ralph's car. As you can see, the rear upper arms on Ralph's car is mounted more towards the center of the chassis thus making for "longer" suspension arms.

I made mine just to be able to vary the rear trackwidth of the car.

I did notice that too!!!
Good to see you pay attention to detail.

Somehow, my funny bone tells me you have one Any pics to show before the beautiful chassis gets scared? How much did you get it for?

YEAH, I'll try to take some pics before a scratch gets on it!
I cant tell you how much I got it for.......It might get peeps on here jealous.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Which other part are you refering to?

The thing is the 705 is still able to match these current new cars in the market that are already equipped with low CG parts like lowered engine mounts, laid down steering servo and a more efficient 0.8 module gearbox. I would only imagine what it would be like when the next generation Serpent tourer is equipped with those goodies
The other part I was referring too was your statement about the new tourer being untouchable. But I do agree that the new Serpent will be the car to beat.

To be honest, the MTX3 doesnt register here with our vastly heavier 705's and as for all the hype on the R40, it was only the usual bad luck for Josh Cyrul that allowed it to win the US Nats. The cars design is good but it is just too heavy. But once the hop-ups start flowing on it and the weight comes down it will be a lot more competitive and Mugen will be the ones getting left behind for a change.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: For Proficar403

The distance of the ball cups to the center of the servo mounting hole is 18 mm.
Ooophs, I forgot to mention that the distance between the two ball cup mounting positions on the servo saver is 11 mm.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by PUNISHER
I did notice that too!!!
Good to see you pay attention to detail.

YEAH, I'll try to take some pics before a scratch gets on it!
I cant tell you how much I got it for.......It might get peeps on here jealous.
Dude.....you know what should u do......its between u & me..

I'll be screw if anyone want at that price you get!!! Keep it to yourself buddy...
Old 08-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I'll be screw if anyone want at that price you get!!! Keep it to yourself buddy...
I got you covered bro!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanks, InitialD. It turnes out that the servo saver I had was messing with my steering ackerman. I put a new serpent servo saver on and my handling easily increased.

BTW...I have seen other dealers lower the price on the 950 just to clear the way for an updated version. The new version will include the lightweight clutch bell and other minor things that I forget.

Also BTW...If any of you have trouble getting serpent parts,
call 1-866-NITRORC (toll free). Very good prices, availability, and prompt shipping. He has a pretty decent selection of tires, serpent/mugen/ae parts, engines, and sometimes carries kits. Also at gasrccar.com
Old 08-23-2003, 03:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default 705 awesome

Originally posted by PUNISHER
I like my Snake how it is right now!!
No problem beating other cars without those other goodies!!
Just to bump in & wanna to say that 705 is a excellent car with proper set up . I am currently using michael salven 5 port turbo, and i beat VRR with sirio, Mtx 3 with Nova Mspeed. And even real top end wtih JP VRR that i need to brake before i smash to it .Cheer !
Old 08-23-2003, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

I like my Snake how it is right now!!
yup..mine is getting better by the day. finally i got to run it they way i want. unfortunately thru a lot fo time and money buying 'correct' parts..
Old 08-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone running a rossi ns12s3 engine in your 705? If so what gearing do you like?
Old 08-25-2003, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

<SNIP>

Ummm, I don't know but with all the hopla about low CG this and that, the 705 still spanks the competition in the Euros and nearly spanks the rest at the recent Roar Nats if not for the many flips that Ralph had. Talk about old design my a$$ ... No doubt Team Serpent has one of the best drivers in the world but when you're at that level of competition, everyone is a world beater.
<SNIP>
Pardon me for butting in, but . . .
Absolutely agree on the low CG hoopla point, but if Ralph had some of that lower CG hoopla, maybe he wouldn't have flipped so many times - just a thought, you understand.

While on the subject of low CG hoopla, I measured the engine mounts of our new V-One R Evolution. They are exactly the same height as the original V-One R - plenty of hoopla, there.

The moral of this story is that the likes of Ralph and his peers could TQ a motorised skateboard . . . . or even a R40, maybe.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:39 AM
Tech Adept

InitialD, any comments regarding your expierence with repositioned front upper arms?
Old 08-25-2003, 05:07 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Pardon me for butting in, but . . .
Checking out on my post?

Absolutely agree on the low CG hoopla point, but if Ralph had some of that lower CG hoopla, maybe he wouldn't have flipped so many times - just a thought, you understand.
Heheh, good one Perhaps... But he was actually wanted to achieve more steering that he overdid it... He was using 37 shore front and 35 shore rear tires with no front and rear sway bars connected. Michael Salven went one up when he did not used front sway bars (only in the rears) for the Euros... Perhaps they somehow communicated with each other that weekend While Michael was successful with the no sway bars stunt, Ralph was unfortunate. Changes in the track conditions (temperature went down) made Ralph's car traction rolled.

While on the subject of low CG hoopla, I measured the engine mounts of our new V-One R Evolution. They are exactly the same height as the original V-One R - plenty of hoopla, there.
While the engine may not be lowered, the steering servo is The 2 speed gearbox 0.8 modules are also part of the enhancement. I believe roll center of the car is also altered by the different suspension arms.

The moral of this story is that the likes of Ralph and his peers could TQ a motorised skateboard . . . . or even a R40, maybe.
True, but was any car out there in the A main look anything like a motorised skateboard? Both drivers and cars were at the highest level. Every team was well represented at the race... Except perhaps Kyosho wasn't. The title was open to anybody and that explains why Ralph did not win this time.

Talking about the R40, noticed how small Hara used his tires?
Old 08-25-2003, 05:21 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by johan
InitialD, any comments regarding your expierence with repositioned front upper arms?
Johan, my weekend racing ended horrible Bad luck of engine flaming out (twice) in the first heat and the front belt snapping in the second heat put me out of contention Third heat? Well, too much slow traffic that saw me getting irritated and as a consequence of my impatience, I flipped over and flamed out (again) just before the transponder line and 30 seconds before the 5 minute heat was over

Anyway, so much for my rant The car performed excellent all round. Perhaps a little bit of on power steering was what I needed. But the car with the smaller rear trackwidth (200 mm) turned in better. I was previously using more than 200 mm rear trackwidth with -4 rear camber. I felt the car was faster in the in fields and chicanes and surprisingly the car could still brake hard and stabile with a one way front and the stock rear ball diffs... Not that I'm complaining but this is something which I cannot explain.

Oh yes, I choose to use a Protoform Stratus 2.1 TC shell against the vast competition that used Lola shell bodies on the high speed track and I am quite proud to say that I held the same pace with them In fact I could have been faster if not for the traffic
Old 08-25-2003, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Checking out on my post?
Oooop's . . . you sprung me.

Heheh, good one Perhaps... But he was actually wanted to achieve more steering that he overdid it... He was using 37 shore front and 35 shore rear tires with no front and rear sway bars connected. Michael Salven went one up when he did not used front sway bars (only in the rears) for the Euros... Perhaps they somehow communicated with each other that weekend While Michael was successful with the no sway bars stunt, Ralph was unfortunate. Changes in the track conditions (temperature went down) made Ralph's car traction rolled.
Interesting you say this. I'm not too familiar with Serpent stuff, but one of the local racers turned up with his 705 apparently set up as per Slaven with no sway bars and Xray top arms or something. He said it was very docile and not at all what he was used to. I think he liked it. Too bad we only got one run before the rain settled in.

While the engine may not be lowered, the steering servo is The 2 speed gearbox 0.8 modules are also part of the enhancement. I believe roll center of the car is also altered by the different suspension arms.
True enough. My point was really on "hoopla" in general and how so many people seem to get terminally sucked in by it. The Evo certainly has a lower CG than the old car, but I reckon the new front end geometry is the biggest improvement.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you guys cut your foams down to a desired width before running on the 705? Ie 60mm from the stock 63-65mm? I generally cut them for my xray- but nitros chew through them a lot faster than electric. Thought I would get more bang for the buck and keep them stock in the package and adjust ride height accordingly. Thx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.