Search
Like Tree110Likes

Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:57 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for the tip, I guess you can't go wrong with Tamiya's suggested starting point.

Let me ask, does anyone use the hop-up springs for the front control arms that Tamiya used to offer for thr F1 F103? If so do they work well?

Also I have this issue where I am cornering around a long sweeper and the car will snap loose and it will look like one half of the chassis is rotating 30 degrees to the rear half of the chassis (imagine a corkscrew). I was wondering how tight the screw shown below should be? Has anyone had this issue before?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car-untitled-1-copy.jpg  
Old 07-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The springs aren't too much of the effects. Personally, I have tried the black spring from the package as I needed harder setup on the front. I think I will move over to Kawada 0.5mm springs (HARD SPRINGS). There are 3 types: 0.5, 0.45 & 0.4.

The rear end going loose is due to the tire selection. Are you running a F103GT or the old F103?

The screw with rubber ring is not critical at all. Try diff oil on the friction plates.
Alfie

Originally Posted by CarKing
Thanks for the tip, I guess you can't go wrong with Tamiya's suggested starting point.

Let me ask, does anyone use the hop-up springs for the front control arms that Tamiya used to offer for thr F1 F103? If so do they work well?

Also I have this issue where I am cornering around a long sweeper and the car will snap loose and it will look like one half of the chassis is rotating 30 degrees to the rear half of the chassis (imagine a corkscrew). I was wondering how tight the screw shown below should be? Has anyone had this issue before?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:29 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Its the F103GT. I never had this issue when I raced my F103 McLaren. The problem is that the car is not loose overall (other than the general tendancy of the chassis), but the rear never slides and does that twist and spin I described.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If anyone is looking for an F103GT, I posted my tricked out car in the for sale thread. Click here for the ad

Mark
Old 07-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was wondering if anyone tried to mount the following bodies on the F103GT..

HPI 65, 66 Mustang

HPI 68 Camaro

HPI Pantera

If so, do the 26, 0mm/31,6mm vintage wheels and tires fit without modification, or do you need to do some creative spacer work to get them to fit right??

Also, does anyone know what the wheelbase of the car is ??

I have my eys set on a RAE 63 Corvette Pro Mod body that I could butcher...
Old 07-24-2006, 11:55 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Justinian
I was wondering if anyone tried to mount the following bodies on the F103GT..

HPI 65, 66 Mustang

HPI 68 Camaro

HPI Pantera

If so, do the 26, 0mm/31,6mm vintage wheels and tires fit without modification, or do you need to do some creative spacer work to get them to fit right??

Also, does anyone know what the wheelbase of the car is ??

I have my eys set on a RAE 63 Corvette Pro Mod body that I could butcher...
No i haven't but I had the same thought. I think those bodies are 200mm thought and not 190mm like the F103GT. I thought about trying to get a local club to run the F103GTs with the HPI muscle car bodies and tires, or with NASCAR style bodies and wheels. I think that would be a fun class.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think we're thinking the same thing, CarKing!

We have a vintage big bore class at Pacific Raceways that runs during the Children's Hospital Vintage road races we have up here (I go to spectate..I have the $ to race RC cars, not real ones ) . You get Shelby Mustangs, 63 Corvettes, Cobras, 65-70 Trans Am Cars, and a GT40 or two that run in the class. I think it would be a blast to recreate vintage racing on a much smaller scale... (note to self: I will make it to the Monterey Historics at least one year )

I think with the right wheel offsets, the Mustang body will fit. Not sure what they are though... The same may be true for the other HPI musclecar bodies...

Some of the newer GT cars are really neat, but I like vintage iron a lot more...especially 1955-70 sports cars/ Can Am, etc.... I'm somewhat suprised we don't see Tamiya and other players (other than HPI) looking into bodies like that since vintage auto racing is one of the fastest growing forms of motorsports in the world (If not the fastest growing).

I may just get a couple of bodies and a couple sets of wheels and see what I can come up with
Old 07-25-2006, 08:20 PM
AWK
Tech Master

If you get it to work, PLEASE post pictures on here. I would love to be able to get that to look right. I am more upset HPI makes all of these cool bodies only in 200mm, most 1/10 touring cars are 190mm.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just sent HPI an email asking if there are ways to make these bodies fit. I know the Mustang will.. I think they mention it on their website, I think they mention a 6mm offset wheel. But I was unclear as to what wheel size to use... They recommend 26mm but the vintage wheels only have a 6mm offset in 31mm sizes.... Hopefully they can clear this up... As for the other bodies, I'm not sure... again, hopefully they will get back to me some time and we'll find out...

I also let them know that I was glad to see them producing more vintage 'lexan', but would like to see the ability for us electric racers to use it...

Time will tell....

Old 07-25-2006, 11:02 PM
AWK
Tech Master

I like the Mustang, but the idea of a nice Sunoco Camero is looking pretty good if it can work. Try the F103GT especially with those vintage style tires would be trick. I be the car would handle close to what the muscle cars do in person.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:59 AM
Tech Addict

Some more new tuning parts by Kawada:

Old 07-28-2006, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Anyone know when the COURAGE kit will be released?...

-O
Old 07-28-2006, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Late August
Old 07-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Justinian
I think we're thinking the same thing, CarKing!

We have a vintage big bore class at Pacific Raceways that runs during the Children's Hospital Vintage road races we have up here (I go to spectate..I have the $ to race RC cars, not real ones ) . You get Shelby Mustangs, 63 Corvettes, Cobras, 65-70 Trans Am Cars, and a GT40 or two that run in the class. I think it would be a blast to recreate vintage racing on a much smaller scale... (note to self: I will make it to the Monterey Historics at least one year )

I think with the right wheel offsets, the Mustang body will fit. Not sure what they are though... The same may be true for the other HPI musclecar bodies...

Some of the newer GT cars are really neat, but I like vintage iron a lot more...especially 1955-70 sports cars/ Can Am, etc.... I'm somewhat suprised we don't see Tamiya and other players (other than HPI) looking into bodies like that since vintage auto racing is one of the fastest growing forms of motorsports in the world (If not the fastest growing).

I may just get a couple of bodies and a couple sets of wheels and see what I can come up with
Justin we have had a few express interest at Seattle Indoor. Stop by and spread the gospel. We have quite a few who have the car but no real motivation to run it. We have a 65 Mustang fastback floating around the shop that drew quite a few comments when it was placed on the chassis.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

How did the Mustang body fit, Difuser??

I got email back from HPI and they said that the vintage wheels really weren't designed to be used for the 190mm cars. So I'm thinking the Camaro and the Pantera are out because the rear wheels need the 6mm offset on the 200mm chassis to look correct...on the 190mm chassis, they probably would be too narrow. The Mustang however may be ok. I may order 2 rear sets of vintage wheels and tires (31mm, 6mm offset) and run the wide tires on all 4 corners... may make it look odd, but perhaps that will make the track wide enough...

Also, I think I might order a Roy Anderson Enginnering '63 Corvette Pro Mod body and look at the dimentions of that. If the wheelbase is ok and the body isn't too narrow, I may be able to "Frankenstein" something together (which would be fairly accurate.. I'm not very good with lexan sizzors and a hobby knife ) .. I'm not sure if the rear spoiler is molded into the body or not... that could prove to be an interesting issue to overcome if it is... the hood scoop looks like it won't be a big issue though...

If all else fails, I may paint my Lamborgini body I have lying around and use that with regular TC tires.. I would definately prefer the retro look, though

Not sure why there isn't any interest in these... not sure how they drive, but it seems they would be easier to maintain than a 4wd TC but easier on tires than the 12th scale cars (if your using rubber tires on the F103GT...)

I should start assembly on the F103GT soon, and stuff an Orion Lipo and a Komodo Dragon in there...should be interesting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.