Search

Cool Can Fan Talk

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nnick
Hello,

Where can I get some pictures of the fans on a Xray FK05? I found the 2 fans system but I need to see the one fan system too.

Thank you

Nick
Here's a pic of mine with the single fan unit installed

Old 08-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Default Theory and practice

Like everyone I have read lots of people saying positive things about motor fans. I am not sure if I entirely understand the science behind them.
An RC car is not like a stationary computer with a metal case surrounding 95% of its surface. There is lots of air movement over through and around the chassis and the motor, it is hard to see how that natural occuring air flow is insufficient, to the point, a fan would significantly add to that flow. The kind of temperature reductions people are claiming for these fans might make sence if the car was not moving.
I am not questioning peoples accounts, I am just not sure where all the extra cooling claimed is comming from?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imjonah
Like everyone I have read lots of people saying positive things about motor fans. I am not sure if I entirely understand the science behind them.
An RC car is not like a stationary computer with a metal case surrounding 95% of its surface. There is lots of air movement over through and around the chassis and the motor, it is hard to see how that natural occuring air flow is insufficient, to the point, a fan would significantly add to that flow. The kind of temperature reductions people are claiming for these fans might make sence if the car was not moving.
I am not questioning peoples accounts, I am just not sure where all the extra cooling claimed is comming from?
Actually, inside of an RC car, the air flow is pretty limited, and quite disturbed, given what it has allready passed through (front of the shell, front suspension etc). Also, as most RC cars have the majority of their motors sitting above a chassis plate (with limitied airflow coming up from the underneath) and that we surround most motors with electronics and the such like, the is not as much of the motor visible to any limited cooling flow avaliable.
The fans supply a pretty concentrated blast of air flow to take the heat away from the motor (despite their size, they are pretty powerful!), so are much more consitent, as well as providing a greater volume of cooler air, than just leaving it to the ambient temps.
Generally, you could expect to see around a 20-30 degC drop in motor temp, which is more than enough to stop a motor going off over 5mins (which is something you notice if you stop using them )

HiH
Ed
Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Andrew Twigger
Will there be a Tamiya 415 MSX version of this?

Andrew
Hi
Yes we will be making one for the 415 MSX version but need to get my hands on one to pattern up from. I will have a word with Dave Spash to see if he can shed any light on it for me.

Dave
Your right about the SCCF's we hardly sell a single any more and will soon be modifying the DCCF brackets too 'WATCH THIS SPACE' new and better version on the horizn
Old 08-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Tech Adept

Default OFFROAD

Hi Malc,

I have had one OFFROAD guy ask me if you do the CCFS for a CAT3000, or are you just sticking to onroad.

Cheers
Old 08-22-2005, 04:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool. I will eagerly await the fan kit as well as my MSX upgrade. My only problem now is that I have to go all this time without one.....could have done with one yesterday, it was roasting hot!

Last edited by TeMpTeD; 08-22-2005 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by adyb
Hi Malc,

I have had one OFFROAD guy ask me if you do the CCFS for a CAT3000, or are you just sticking to onroad.

Cheers
Hi
wWe do not manufacture one for the cat 3000 as it is quite an old model now, but have one for the XXX-4 and Yokomo MR4BC

C L-CAN -FANS RULE
Old 08-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TeMpTeD
Cool. I will eagerly await the fan kit as well as my MSX upgrade. My only problem now is that I have to go all this time without one.....could have done with one yesterday, it was roasting hot!
Keep reminding me about you wanting a DCCF for the MSX
Old 08-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I just ordered one of these for my FK'05 Xray.

I ordered the one with the 2 fans. Has any testing been done as far as these fans tweaking the chassis as fas as adding another piece of carbon fiber on top of the top deck.? Any comments...
Old 08-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HRCRACER123
I just ordered one of these for my FK'05 Xray.

I ordered the one with the 2 fans. Has any testing been done as far as these fans tweaking the chassis as fas as adding another piece of carbon fiber on top of the top deck.? Any comments...
Hi
Not had anyone mentioning any tweaks so far! and why would there be tweak as all you are doing is removing the original screws placing the CCF over the original holes and placing slightly longer screws that come with the kit
Malc
Old 08-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

I just thought that the Carbon fiber on top of the carbon fiber top deck might be an issue? I will let you know how well it works and if there is any issue with the tweak. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

I just thought that the Carbon fiber on top of the carbon fiber top deck might be an issue? I will let you know how well it works and if there is any issue with the tweak. Thanks.
Your more than welcome
All constructive critism welcom, as this is the only way we get feed back from you guy'e out there
Malc
Old 08-31-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Alright I got my fan for my Fk'05 Xray.The 2 fan one. A couple of questions. I have a novak Exxtra reciever. All I have to do is solder the 2 red wires into one of those gold metal clips and then take the 2 black wires and do the same and then stick them into the black harness holder and put it in my reciever? I can run a personal and the fan right?

Also If I get the spectrum unit I think it only has 4 inserts. Would I be able to run the fan with that reciever. Because I would need one for personal transponder,servo,speedo,fan. Would that work? It should right?

Also the screws that come with the fan. They are a little long. I was able to still able to use the original screws. But they onlt threaded in about half way. Do you see any problems with that? Sorry for all these questions. Thanks...
Old 08-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I thought the fan system comes with connectors so it should just fit in the reciever, if not just solder it to the speedo terminals (black wire to -battery and red wire to +bat/motor). It should work with the spektrum system as it has 4 inserts. Can't answer the last question as i don't have one but i think i'm gunna get one soon.

Charles
Old 08-31-2005, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Alright I got my fan for my Fk'05 Xray.The 2 fan one. A couple of questions. I have a novak Exxtra reciever. All I have to do is solder the 2 red wires into one of those gold metal clips and then take the 2 black wires and do the same and then stick them into the black harness holder and put it in my reciever? I can run a personal and the fan right?

Also If I get the spectrum unit I think it only has 4 inserts. Would I be able to run the fan with that reciever. Because I would need one for personal transponder,servo,speedo,fan. Would that work? It should right?

Also the screws that come with the fan. They are a little long. I was able to still able to use the original screws. But they onlt threaded in about half way. Do you see any problems with that? Sorry for all these questions. Thanks...
Good to here it arrived safe and sound
No probs asking questions, Thats what this forum is for
With regards to the soldering of the wires onto the gold pins, this is one of 3, options to wire the DDCF, you can solder both black wires together onto 1, gold pin and both red wires onto the other, and fit them into the 2 pin black plug supplied, making sure when you plug it into te receiver that the colour of the wires corespond to the clour of the wires from the servo and ESC.
Personally I find by far the best way to wire the DCCF's is straight to the battery wires (as mentioned by Charles previously) as this way your fans will continue running at there max 11,000 rpm when the ESC is switched off, cooling your motor while you are marshaling, and by the time you come back to your pit table, your motor will be cool enough to work on.

Ref the spectrum: I dont see a prob with this, if this is the way you wish to wire in the DCCF
What lenght is the original screw 6mm or 8mm
Cool-Can-Fan-Man

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.