Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I don't have the latest Xray, but I raced Xray for a couple years, moved to the 417, and now race the Mi5.
So you feel Mi5 has more grip than your previous Xray cars?
How is maintenance easier on the Mi5....can you be more specific?
Really thinking of trying out this car to see how it compares to my T4.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyba888
So you feel Mi5 has more grip than your previous Xray cars?
How is maintenance easier on the Mi5....can you be more specific?
Really thinking of trying out this car to see how it compares to my T4.

Thanks!
There is SO much flex in the Mi5, I would imagine that the mechanical grip the car can possibly achieve would be higher. If you're on carpet, this might not be what you are looking for though, so it the point might be moot as your goal might be to tighten up the car anyway.

The Mi5 is the easiest car to work on I have ever owned. The top deck never has to come off, the spur can come off via a single screw on one side, and slides right out without having to touch the top deck, and the diffs pop out from the ends of the car by simply removing the center pulley, the cam holders, and rocking the camber plates forward.

This video is a great walk through around some of the car's basics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5MsR...Mp60yHmzsbUQmA
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

There is SO much flex in the Mi5, I would imagine that the mechanical grip the car can possibly achieve would be higher. If you're on carpet, this might not be what you are looking for though, so it the point might be moot as your goal might be to tighten up the car anyway.

The Mi5 is the easiest car to work on I have ever owned. The top deck never has to come off, the spur can come off via a single screw on one side, and slides right out without having to touch the top deck, and the diffs pop out from the ends of the car by simply removing the center pulley, the cam holders, and rocking the camber plates forward.

Thanks for the info I only run on large asphalt track so the extra flex may just work. Just waiting for the new update kits to hit stores in the US
Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I will only run on carpet. Do you think I should install the extra top deck support?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
I will only run on carpet. Do you think I should install the extra top deck support?
yes..I know a person running mod ..and he using extra support .keep from flexing too much on asphalt racing
Not surprise if Schmacher coming out with stiffer top deck soon..
Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Tech Regular

Maybe this is an general question, but since the problem is on my new Mi5, I will postbit here.

My problem is to getting the rear swaybar adjusted right. The one side is lifting normaly up, but the other don't make the opposite side move at all ?

I have measured the swaybar links attached to the wishbone, and the are excatly the same lenght. The angel of the swaybar links is also 90 deg as stated in the manual. Without the swaybars links attached to the swaybar, the seaybar are moving freely, and without no sloop.

I have checked the swaybar on my setup board if it is straight, and it seems like it.

So I don't have any more ideas, anyone who have a good advice ?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by cyba888
Thanks for the info I only run on large asphalt track so the extra flex may just work.
Car is stellar on asphalt. I'm pretty sure it was primarily designed and tested on UK outdoor asphalt tracks.

Originally Posted by haywood
I would. It should tame out a wee tiny bit of the steering.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Shock Tower: check and make sure there's no binding in the suspension. The arms should fall under their own weight. Then check to make sure the swaybar itself is straight by laying it flat on a setup board. Then make sure the mounts aren't too tight on the swaybar. The swaybar should fall freely with its own weight.

-Mike
Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Shock Tower: check and make sure there's no binding in the suspension. The arms should fall under their own weight. Then check to make sure the swaybar itself is straight by laying it flat on a setup board. Then make sure the mounts aren't too tight on the swaybar. The swaybar should fall freely with its own weight.

-Mike
I checked all of the above, and there is nothing there to go after. Could it be, that one of the links should be longer thannthe other ?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Hey Capt
Are you ready for this weekend sat?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by OVA
Hey Capt
Are you ready for this weekend sat?
You bet. Race #4 at the NW asphalt challenge. It's been a pretty strong showing in the Mi5 camp so far!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

You bet. Race #4 at the NW asphalt challenge. It's been a pretty strong showing in the Mi5 camp so far!
I'm hoping to be knocking on your door this weekend..lol
if not ..Mi5 will be my next TC
Old 07-31-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

OVA or CAPTN where is this NW asphalt challenge?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
I checked all of the above, and there is nothing there to go after. Could it be, that one of the links should be longer thannthe other ?
(dumb question) The shocks are off, right?

Did you make sure all the ball cups (both camber links and swaybar links) are smooth and free?

Maybe one side of the swaybar is bent at different angles than the other side?

Did you set droop yet? If not, I'd set that, too. The most accurate way I know of to de-tweak a swaybar is to get the droop set perfect side-to-side, then flip the car upside down, hold the arms up against the droop screws, then release one and see how far it falls. Then hold the first and release the other and make sure it falls the same amount.

Double check that the set screw (I'm assuming there is one like the CXL had) that holds the ball on the tip of the swaybar isn't doing anything funky. Make sure the set screw is oriented in the same direction on both sides (I suggest facing the screw straight up). Make sure the swaybar isn't climbing up the inner wall of the bore in the ball (if you know what I mean). When you tighten that screw, do it very smoothly and slowly, making sure the bar settles down against the bottom of the tube. And don't over-tighten it, as that could potentially put a tweak in the swaybar.

I can't think of anything else. So if all that fails, you may just have to play with the endlink lengths to get the tweak out of it.

-Mike
Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jtsbell
OVA or CAPTN where is this NW asphalt challenge?
(smartass)It's in the NW!(/smartass)

It's in the Seattle-to-Portland area.
www.northwestasphaltchallenge.com

-Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.