Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

Davin, I will trade you my nearly new T3 2012 in a second for the T4.

That being said, I have a T4 that I have ran often since mid November, so has another friend of mine. Neither of us have replaced a spur gear yet.

@ Joe, I do not have the wedge weight, and see you soon buddy!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davin
That is the way I change the spur all the time. The motor has always been in the same place.
OK, it's gotta have something to do with the way the chassis flex's or bulkheads if the motor's not moving. There may be some guys that aren't having problems but, obviously there are lots that are.

I'm half way through my build so I'm gonna find out for myself soon.

We need one of the team guys to weigh in here.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pcar951
There may be some guys that aren't having problems but, obviously there are lots that are.
That is definitely the other way around. I would say there is some that are having the problem, most are not.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

That must be why all the major parts houses are out of stock on the most popular size gears. I was able to find 1 on stock at Nexus. I would be willing to bet there are alot more people than you think having the problem. Not everyone who owns a T4 posts on here.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I hope to have the car built for Tuesday practice. I'll be running boosted 7.5 on indoor carpet, decent grip... good load on the chassis, should be a good spur gear test. I can run back to back with my mod T3/12.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

OK, it's gotta have something to do with the way the chassis flex's or bulkheads if the motor's not moving. There may be some guys that aren't having problems but, obviously there are lots that are.

My son Blake is one of the team drivers. Like I said he runs between 25-30 packs per week for month's. He has 2 T4's running one in 17.5 and one in mod with a 4.5. With the races we have traveled with Paul and the Hardmans to, I can honestly say I have not seen anybody having a spur gear stripping issue.
Daven, I would like to bring Blake up to Oshkosh for a club race and maybe we can look at your car?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have to say I'm surprised we have not seen option parts right before Christmas. I'm waiting for a new motor mount as well. Design wise I can't stand the nut and it looks like they took a machining short cut. Call me nutty, but it looks like trouble. lol
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

My guess it has to do with club racers banging off the boards. Team guys don't have this issue so you won't get a realistic assessment from them. There's a diversity of skilled drivers out there and everyone should be able to driver the car without issues. Xray can solve this be releasing a more solid motor mount. It's been an option part, so what's the hold up?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davin
I have ran with the center weight and without. I am sorry if I come across cocky. But this car has only finished 3 or 4 races without failing since I have had it. I am at the end of my rope with it guys
You may have solved the issue by now, but have you check the nut area and see if it's bent in the 90% angle area. Take a square and see if it's tweaked or bent.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
I wonder if it would help to fill the space between the motor and the machined area under the motor? If the motor to chassis gap changes at all, then the spur and pinion are no longer co-planar, and that would kill the spur in short order even if the mesh is perfect.

Not sure what to use to fill the gap, though. Something similar to a wheel chock or door stop.
Sorry,not a good idea.This will cause tweek and uneven flex.I always set my motor high off the chassis to avoid the motor ever coming in contact with the chassis.Don't have spur gear problems with a 4.5 turn boosted motor
Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean B.
You didn't build it properly.
You're missing something man, not sure what it is since I've never stripped a spur yet.
Been through 10 packs, haven't stripped a gear. Broke 4 rear belts so far though (dusty asphalt)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dane
I read in the Paul L thread that his Cleveland setup gets rid of scrub according to one testimony.
Thanks

Originally Posted by cheapskate.brok
Been through 10 packs, haven't stripped a gear. Broke 4 rear belts so far though (dusty asphalt)
I found the kit setting for belt tension way too tight and loosen my belt up 1-3 notches (depending on the motors I'm running). Maybe that helps.

BTW almost 100 packs run so far on one spur gear.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

XRAY released New upper deck
Attached Thumbnails Xray T4 '13-xr-301196.jpg  
Old 12-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

I need some help to try and improve my corner entry steering;

Ignore the missed apex's

I seemed to have to scrub more corner speed than some of the others.
In ultimate lap times I was around 0.5s off the very fastest laps (Ollie Jeffries, Elliot Harper etc) and the only thing I could see watching their cars was that they had plenty of steering despit not slowing quite so much for the corners.

http://www.piez0r.com/Skiddins/Xray%...n-16-12-12.pdf

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCknight
My guess it has to do with club racers banging off the boards. Team guys don't have this issue so you won't get a realistic assessment from them. There's a diversity of skilled drivers out there and everyone should be able to driver the car without issues. Xray can solve this be releasing a more solid motor mount. It's been an option part, so what's the hold up?
There are a few here, me included that aren't team drivers and have had no problems with spur gears. If a design issue everyone should be having a somewhat similar experience. Just because one person posts a hundred times that the car is flawed doesn't make a problem widespread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.