Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Protc thats what iv been trying to ask this whole time because i was gettign a bit confused with 64 pitch and 48 pitch......
When i get this do i get the HPI/HB cyclone spring set? or are they indervidual springs i need to buy.
The only thing that was making me head to an xray t2 was i would have to gring the hassis to get the right spur & pinion for the 4.5 novak gtb so i think nwo that thats cleared the hara Cyclone is on my list

Hmmm i may have to change my avatar
Old 07-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

if you race on asphalt i would get the HPI spring kit.for carpet run the xray springs.i run the 4.5 in my cyclone on asphalt with track temps exceeding 160 degrees.108/26 works fine for me.no thermaling issues,enough power to last a lifetime also.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What pinion and spur would i use if i was runnign 4.5 gtb but going to run (48 pitch).
Old 07-31-2006, 05:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

see if a 76 spur and 18 pinion will fit.that would be ideal.if not go to a 19 pinion and drive it smoothe.what kinda temps are you running in?track temps also.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jamie - I'm almost certain i tried running 48p but couldn't get it to fit.

Can't tell you what fits or not but it's not low enough. I run outdoors on dusty/dirty tracks that kill gears hence my preferrence for 48p.

My pitbox is full of 48p pins and spurs that i cna't use with this car. However, take solace in the fact that you only ever need a 26 or 27pin and a 110 spur.

As protc3 said - when calculating ratio's the pitch does not matter. HOWEVER!!!!!!! the GTB is afterall, a low turn modified which requires fairly precise gearing. The jump between ratio's on 48p are just too big. You're either too low, or too high. Another reason why my toolbox is rattling with 48p stuff..

The HPI spring kit comes as a full set. Nice springs.
Hope that helps mate..
Old 07-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
Jamie - I'm almost certain i tried running 48p but couldn't get it to fit.

Can't tell you what fits or not but it's not low enough. I run outdoors on dusty/dirty tracks that kill gears hence my preferrence for 48p.

My pitbox is full of 48p pins and spurs that i cna't use with this car. However, take solace in the fact that you only ever need a 26 or 27pin and a 110 spur.

As protc3 said - when calculating ratio's the pitch does not matter. HOWEVER!!!!!!! the GTB is afterall, a low turn modified which requires fairly precise gearing. The jump between ratio's on 48p are just too big. You're either too low, or too high. Another reason why my toolbox is rattling with 48p stuff..

The HPI spring kit comes as a full set. Nice springs.
Hope that helps mate..
I guess you got the 110 spur to work!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by protc3
see if a 76 spur and 18 pinion will fit.that would be ideal.if not go to a 19 pinion and drive it smoothe.what kinda temps are you running in?track temps also.
That rings a bell...

Jamie - the 48p does NOT fit. The spur fits, but the pinion is much much too small and the motor mount doesn't allow you to get it anywhere near the spur. I (Foolishly) drove a few times back and forth between the hoppy shop and my place sorting this stuff out. not cool..

stick with the 110 spur (64p) and 26/27pins(64p)
Old 07-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Tech Addict

LoL...

Thankyou for reminding me.

Marcos. you the man. Thanks for the tip. You're right about it not completely obliterating itself when the chassis bottoms out.

Cheers!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
LoL...

Thankyou for reminding me.

Marcos. you the man. Thanks for the tip. You're right about it not completely obliterating itself when the chassis bottoms out.

Cheers!
yes it would be very rare and almost impossible to bottom out the car perfectly flat to damage the spur ,
Old 08-01-2006, 02:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
yes it would be very rare and almost impossible to bottom out the car perfectly flat to damage the spur ,
I think that the problem isn't going to be bottoming out as much as going over rails/dividers and/or corner dots/markers…..
I would suggest sticking with the 108 and even adding a small and narrow piece of masking-tape on the bottom in order to keep small stones away from the spur.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Diff Maintanance

Originally Posted by protc3
if you race on asphalt i would get the HPI spring kit.for carpet run the xray springs.i run the 4.5 in my cyclone on asphalt with track temps exceeding 160 degrees.108/26 works fine for me.no thermaling issues,enough power to last a lifetime also.
I also run Novak Brushless 4.5R on asphalt, here in hot South Florida. However, the rear diff have a problem of getting loose after a few runs, much like the PRO 4. After every 4-5 runs, I have recheck and retighten if needed. THis is the 3rd week I have run the car, and now they have completely melted down! What? I thought these were delrin rear diffs? THey look like regular plastic ones and now I have to rebuild them. Will the PRO 4 delrin outdrives work for the cyclone? If not, I will have to get the plastic ones, since no-one has the aluminum ones in stock. COncerning the plastic ones, I have read from several tipsters here that its best to actually glue the diff rings to the diff outdrive with CA glue or contact glue, and that this is supposedly a cure for diff melt-downs? Others have said to tighten them all the way and then to loosen it 1/4 turn, like the AE TC4 diffs....If there is any here running Cyclones w/ Novak 4.5 motors, on hot asphalt, and can shed some light on how to really tighten and maintain the diffs and prevent melt-downs every run, PLEASE comment ASAP....
Old 08-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

original cyclone diffs are delrin as well...just in black.
pro4 outdrives will fit but you'll have to add almost 3mm+ of shims to make it work.. probably cheaper in the long run to get the original diffs...

if you can't find the original diff outdrives..lmk.. I may have a spare one I can sell you..
Old 08-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

it sounds to me like your diff is built wrong, i ran a 7x1 for 10 meetings on carpet and never had to rebuild
Old 08-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Hello at all , this is my first post, and i like put in the tread of my favorite car
I have the same problem, with the diff., loosen and broken the screw. My motor is a LRP 4*, with a drop of thread lock in the nut, (blue), is cure at the moment.
I gear 108/26, 10.1:1, and i feel is not fast, i gear up to 108/28, 9.40:1, and i broken the rotor, , the second...

sorry, my english.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by yyhayyim

I also run Novak Brushless 4.5R on asphalt, here in hot South Florida. However, the rear diff have a problem of getting loose after a few runs, much like the PRO 4. After every 4-5 runs, I have recheck and retighten if needed. THis is the 3rd week I have run the car, and now they have completely melted down! What? I thought these were delrin rear diffs? THey look like regular plastic ones and now I have to rebuild them. Will the PRO 4 delrin outdrives work for the cyclone? If not, I will have to get the plastic ones, since no-one has the aluminum ones in stock. COncerning the plastic ones, I have read from several tipsters here that its best to actually glue the diff rings to the diff outdrive with CA glue or contact glue, and that this is supposedly a cure for diff melt-downs? Others have said to tighten them all the way and then to loosen it 1/4 turn, like the AE TC4 diffs....If there is any here running Cyclones w/ Novak 4.5 motors, on hot asphalt, and can shed some light on how to really tighten and maintain the diffs and prevent melt-downs every run, PLEASE comment ASAP....
myself and Jason (protc3) have been running the Cyclone with the 4.5 with no problems with the diff.Where do you race in Florida?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.