Wiki Posts
Search

Yokomo GT-4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 12:16 PM
afm
Tech Master

Thanks Tabushi

Right now we are entering into summer, just like in Chile.
Track temperatures are around 50 to 58°C from December till March.
I'm currently using PMT (Italy) rubbers, factory glued on rims. 55 shore front, and 50 shore rear. They cost retail about U$D 17.50 per pair. What would be the equivalent in PRO BR and how much do they cost in U$D???
Other good tires are SOREX 40R (49 to 77°C) in front and 36R (36 to 66°C) in rear.

chau
AFM
Old 11-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last time i raced with rubbers (3 months ago) here in Brazil with 53ºC to 55ºC on asphalt and 65% humidity i raced with Pro BR's 35's on front and rear (35's are equivalent to a number between Sorex 36's and 40's) with good results ... and i found the 40's harder than Sorex 40's (maybe can suit your temperatures), as if they are 50 shore or so.

About the price, its about US$ 8 or US$ 9 per pair (only the rubber), the wheels are imported so here are a little expensive ... inserts we have here (national, same brand) ...

If you want i can get a full set of my some tires (monted) and send them to you (used ones but with not too much wear) ...

cya !
Old 11-24-2003, 02:27 PM
afm
Tech Master

Tabushi
You've got E-Mail
Thanks
AFM
Old 11-24-2003, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

Somehow I thought of responding on Yokomo's boards on the same subject didn't feel appropriate. I know you guys are reading this anyway, I just didn't want to scare off potential GT4 customers.

Originally posted by afm
Check out Novarossi's web page, in news about the Japan Gp race held in October.

www.novarossi.it/index_ing.htlm

......Masami Hirosaka used prototype car with 80% Mugen parts........had some problems in final (belt), finished 8th but he made the fastest lap in the grand final.......

So picking up on all that is being said about the new car, it seems we might expect to have our new Yokomos with a similar layout as the MTX3
Great. 80% parts mugen? I thought he was a Yokomo driver? He might as well be racing as a team driver for Mugen Seiki. Did Masami unbolt his chassis, and slide a mugen over it?

Might as well go buy a mtx3! This would be interesting to speculate whats under the lexan.

Seriously though, I bet the only thing yokomo left on his car are chassis, and bulkheads, front oneway, perhaps rear gear diff, solid axle, or prototype ball diff. He's got all the steering knukles on, suspension arms, 2 speed and mugen centax. The bulkheads must be either shimmed or dremmeled to death to fit all those parts on properly.

Interesting debate on the GT4 originally designed for rubber. Unfortunately the trend has been focused around foam, and appears irreversible. It seems like Serpent started this mess. Serpent being 1/8th heritage, they naturally designed the impulse around foam. Right after that IFMAR rules specified foams. Yokomo, on the other hand initially thought of designing a car around rubber tires, which must have been the trend in Japan at the time of its inception.

I remember my first time on a track with the GT4 running foam tires... whoa!!! traction rolling all over the place! It took me almost a year to get the setup right, but mostly due to the fact the recommendations from serpent drivers on tires. I think the type B front hubs really helped fix this.

Tabushi, which hub carrier do you run up front? I have never tried rubber tires, but I've always thought of trying so that I can find out if it wears less. Unfortunately this excersise will prove worthless to me, because I will NEVER be able to run them due to the current state of rules.

With the new 710 coming out, it might be best if we all cool off with the chatter about a new car. Yokomo is going to need some time to analize it when it comes out if they are going to attempt at designing a new car. They won't be able to get their hands on it for another month, so I'd expect another year or 2 before yokomo clean slates their next 200mm IC sedan. That said, I'm glad yokomo is taking their time (at least hope so). In the meantime they can throw at us some cool new improved components to bolt on to our GT4's every once in a while.

Anyone seen Masami post on the SD area? It would be cool if he visits this thread once in a while. Hey MASAMI!!! Tell us to shut up rumoring!
Old 11-25-2003, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by tomkelley

It seems like Serpent started this mess. Serpent being 1/8th heritage, they naturally designed the impulse around foam. Right after that IFMAR rules specified foams. Yokomo, on the other hand initially thought of designing a car around rubber tires, which must have been the trend in Japan at the time of its inception.
I believe Yokomo were the first to go Foam on the 200mm with the GT4R and Lola shell. The first impulse was designed around rubber tires (street spec) and the impulse pro followed with foam tires. But all I can say is that Foam definately is the way to go. Its cheaper and gives for better, faster racing which is the name of the game.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

TomKelley :

The hub carriers im using are the NORMAL ones ... no problem at all !!! ... i run at the regionals (7 stages) with rubbers and participated on a couple of racies over foam this year and NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM with the foam setup ... in fact the only modifications between rubber and foam (rubber --> foam) were suspension springs all over, stiffer front roll bar, aluminum side pulleys, less camber and toe and different caster setup ... i even maintained the front solid/rear diff setup with no modification ...
Old 11-26-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by modellor
I believe Yokomo were the first to go Foam on the 200mm with the GT4R and Lola shell. The first impulse was designed around rubber tires (street spec) and the impulse pro followed with foam tires. But all I can say is that Foam definately is the way to go. Its cheaper and gives for better, faster racing which is the name of the game.
I stand corrected! I'm not sure if I'm sold on foam being cheaper. Depends on tire wear at your track.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:46 AM
Tech Rookie

right on!!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Here in São Paulo (Brazil), one of the best tracks have VERY HIGH wear rates ... it EATS a complete set (4 tires) of front 42's and rear 40's (Ellegi) in 55 minutes, and hard rubbers last for a couple of hours without problems.

Now, some experiments we did mounting 235mm foam donut tires on 200mm wheels gave us great traction (front 40's and rear 35's) and about 75-80 minutes racing time.

cya !
Old 12-04-2003, 11:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Are many people still running the Yokomo gas car in the US? I havent seen too much activity in this thread lately, but am propably going to get one, just want to make sure it's competitive.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

it should be competitive. it might not be as tunable as some
on suspention but has a big advantage on drivetrain efficiency.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Well there was one thing that I noticed about the yokomo car from what I have seen at the local track and that is that it is a really good car with rubber tires but is not up to the new cars when it comes to foams, not bad but the new cars g4, mugan ect just seem to work with foams a little better than the kokomo car. It just might be the case around these parts, I'm not sure, but that is what I have seen. just my two cents on the subject.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by jwf_frani
but has a big advantage on drivetrain efficiency.
Just curious how do you mean by that since there's nothing special about the 3 belt drivetrain system...
Old 12-04-2003, 06:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Last time I ran nitro sedan, rubber tires were still the tires to run, so I really dont know much about foams for nitro touring cars... Wouldn't a little stiffer setup fix whatever problems the foams gave the car?
Old 12-04-2003, 06:57 PM
Tech Prophet

I don't own the car so I'm shooting in the dark here.

My guess would be the suspension and arms geometry could not allow for a lot of camber change that is needed for foam setup due to the very low roll center. Just guessing here... I know that rubber tire setup does not like a lot of camber change.

My 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.