Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
sorry to hear that....hows about UPS the cars and we all pitch in to fly your butt here?....
I could not sit in a seat long enough to get to the airport!! Or long enough for the plane to fly up there!!

I think this may be my body telling me it's time to quit trying to pretend to be part of a memory!! A 40year old memory at that! I really enjoy thinking about how to build the cars and working on them but never knowing how they work is a bummer.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by aarcobra
I could not sit in a seat long enough to get to the airport!! Or long enough for the plane to fly up there!!

I think this may be my body telling me it's time to quit trying to pretend to be part of a memory!! A 40year old memory at that! I really enjoy thinking about how to build the cars and working on them but never knowing how they work is a bummer.
On the one hand, you have to do what you have to do. I don't know your pain and I'm sure you're the best judge of what you can handle and what you can't.

However.

On this end, it's a broken back, poorly fixed by the VA with sciatic nerve root damage and pain down both legs...broken neck, never fixed, missing/damaged cartilage in both knees.....bursitis left shoulder/torn rotator.....chronic back pain.......osteomylitis, fibromyalgia......three ulcers, one of which donates reguarly but not to the Red Cross.....rhuematoid arthritis, primarily in the hips....depression...and a partridge in a pear tree.

After an absence of 27 years, my desire to participate in our hobby means that I suck down a bunch of pills, tell my body where it can go, then proceed to go.

Tom's wife took ill Friday night, I got to run very briefly Saturday morning before heading off to the emergency room to sit with the family. I drove home today...and I'll be leaving early tomorrow morning to trailer up a set of wheels for Tom's use since he'll be up there at least a week while she's in ICU. (All prayers on her and his behalf appreciated.) All this driving is going to cost me with several days of non-movement, which further makes me appreciate the long distance you'd have to travel.

I'm not judging or criticizing you in any way....I'm well aware that sometimes, the trip just ain't worth it, and I've missed a few races for that reason as well. But my main point (if I ever get to it) is that you have friends in Toledo that'd like to see you when you can make it, and will help with whatever is needed to make it happen. If nothing else, try for the GLC...if you are short of anything from $$ to an entire car, I will be happy to provide it. Don't let stubborn body parts dictate the re-living of 40 year old memories.....
Old 05-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Default Huh?

Phil,
All I can say is "Whatever".........
Old 05-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hm

Before I forget...

I won't get one of those diffs that Matt found ordered up till Tues or Wed...I'll see if it fits the Edam, I'm assuming (uh-oh) that if it fits Edam, it'll fit Moto. Looking at Joe P.'s car and his diff...man, but that thing is soft. His car was moving pretty good but I don't hardly see how given how much play there is in the diff. And while my brief run showed me my car wasn't handling badly, I'm still having doubts about my engine....so....who is running what, and what is recommended that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Give me some ideas folks because I need a RELIABLE bullet on the pan. And since I didn't get to hang around and find out who did what...how did the new pan of the Whitings hold up? I haven't even gotten a good look at it yet....
Old 05-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Before I forget...

I won't get one of those diffs that Matt found ordered up till Tues or Wed...I'll see if it fits the Edam, I'm assuming (uh-oh) that if it fits Edam, it'll fit Moto. Looking at Joe P.'s car and his diff...man, but that thing is soft. His car was moving pretty good but I don't hardly see how given how much play there is in the diff. And while my brief run showed me my car wasn't handling badly, I'm still having doubts about my engine....so....who is running what, and what is recommended that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Give me some ideas folks because I need a RELIABLE bullet on the pan. And since I didn't get to hang around and find out who did what...how did the new pan of the Whitings hold up? I haven't even gotten a good look at it yet....
....The whitings mopped up.............Joe P got second.........Joe P's belt came off and I somehow got it back on in the pits...and he finished only 2 laps down to first....had that belt not come off I believe it would have been neck and neck after 30 minutes......or at most a 1 lap gap......me.......rear diff problems... .again..........which made me pit man all day..........still a fun day.........
Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Tech Regular

Default It is what it is!

Phil, please pass along my bests to Toms family, and let me know if I can help at all.
This getting old has it price to pay and I'm luckier then allot of folks who aren't alive to enjoy (?) the plains. I'm also lucky to not have to deal with a long drive. I'm also lucky to have the list of friends I have. I want to enjoy you guys in any way, sharp, or form I can, so hang in there!
We had a great race weekend, Dave, Tom, Phil, and Ned, we missed you!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Before I forget...

got the diff fixed with joe t's 3 trillion weight diff fluid. but that stuff seems too be on all my tools now. thanks too matt I finished where I did. please someone send me info on this mystery diff you found. also phil if you see the laps from the lower 4wd main other than dennis we would have been competitive with our cars. if anyone reading is still wondering about these cars my weekend tally.. 1 set of tires and they still have at least a club race left. great fun all weekend
Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Default French Fry rules!!

Foster Whitings French fry car was looking good, running middle of the road off road motor with a Mugen clutch. Great job Foster! Standing on driver stand next to III, didn't know what was happening, but I think there were some tears of frustration there that melted away for cheers for Foster to take it to the rest of us. Win, lose, or draw, the kids are my real enjoyment in RC cars.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default DFX Premium

Here is a pic of Fosters car right after the main and obviously cleaned up. It was a mess. I had to cobble together a clutch for it as Sr. stated. Mugen guts and a Xray RX8 bell and a 21 tooth pinion. The motor is a lower end Max Power off-road engine with a 2018 Max Power pipe. This combo was not the fastest car out there but was very smooth, which was perfect for my 12 year old. And even though the DFX was not the best build, the car actually performs very well.
Other than a broken bumper in the second qualifier that almost took it out of the race (thanks Sr. for the kydex) it did not need any work to keep running. My boy had a big time running the car. Of course he had some luck in the main but he stayed out of trouble, had good pace and was there at the end. Pretty fun stuff. Toledo is such a nice track in general and really good for Pan cars. Very smooth.
Attached Thumbnails European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-dfx-1.jpg  

Last edited by jeff whiting; 05-20-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the pic and report Jeff!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Home time. I need home time...and good weather.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aarcobra

I know exactly how you feel. I had back surgery in the fall and am better, but sitting for any period of time is still very tough. I am hoping to get to GLC and run in classic with you guys if all goes well.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jeff whiting
And even though the DFX was not the best build, the car actually performs very well.
Jeff can you give us a more detailed report on the DXF: what works well, what doesn't, and why?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by MrHistory
I know exactly how you feel. I had back surgery in the fall and am better, but sitting for any period of time is still very tough. I am hoping to get to GLC and run in classic with you guys if all goes well.
I apprecieate your comments and hope you continue to improve. Finally went to the Dr. today and will be going to phys therapy.

Looks like they had a good Pan race in Toledo and I can't wait to see pics and hear more details...hint, hint....

I have had the predecessor to the DFX Premium (DFX Vortex) and think it is the equal of the Motonica. My problem with any of the modern pan cars is the availabilty of cars and parts and cost.
Unless you have an unlimited budget for parts and shipping or can improvise when something breaks, I would suggest holding off on any decision. THere are a number of folks working on pan cars from many angles and I'm sure eventually things will be sorted out...
Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Default STOP RIGHT THERE!!

Sorry Ned, every lap in the main was run by a hard to get European car. Parts aren't easy to get and they aren't cheap. The race was won by a car with no spares at all. I'd say everyone had a great time (some more then others). I'm to old to spend much time waiting for anything. I'd like everybody that got into this hobby to "save money", hold up your hand. Bet you don't see allot of hands up.

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.