Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Ran the front and rear gear diff tonight at our brand new indoor carpet track , and I must say it worked very well, the combination fo 120,000 diff fluid in the front and the 10,000 in the rear was on the money. Off power steering was awesome and hardly any push coming out of the corner.it was like a oneway but with alot of brakes

The car came out of the corner very hard. my lap times were about 3/4 of a second faster than the previous week when I was running a front spool.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
I'm not familiar with construction of the photon one way. Is that something you can do? In my TC5, I just moved the pulley to the other side, but I had to add spacers to get it to sit right.
Because one-ways only operate in one direction, you can't simply flip them over. Doing so would produce the opposite effect, no forward drive and it would lock up if the rear wheels under-rotated the front wheels.

I'm mildly surprised that your TC5 o.w. was narrow enough to allow mounting the pulley on the other side.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
I can say from the parking lot test that dropping in a gear diff will give you onpower snap, right around snap I'm expecting it to be better at the track, but I think I'd leave the ball diff in any low traction scenarios for sure.
+1

I thought I was the only person on the planet who didn't get on with it. I drive carpet, I went well the first time with it on high traction carpet and have tried many different oil grades, its ok but really I find the handling characteristics of the ball diff far superior

I guess each to their own
Old 08-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Here is what I had to do in my TC5. I'm wondering if anyone has tried with the photon.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pakk
Here is what I had to do in my TC5. I'm wondering if anyone has tried with the photon.
No need to do that on the Photon. T.O.P. has made a Reverse One-Way available, part # PO-PDT0R7RD or # PO-PDT0R8RD Heavy Duty
Old 08-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Yeah EJ just told me. And why aren't you here?
Old 08-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just tried out the Gear diffs... 100,000wt front and standard rear...

Very tidy.... Very tidy indeed. Seemed to get the power down really well without unloading. Also tried a new setup... ready for a big event next weekend. Looking EXCEEDINGLY forward to it! Love this car. Looks great too!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ran my Photon for the first time Friday night, got to say I loved it, kit setup with 450 TM shock oil (and LiPo chassis), considering I was on old borrowed set of 36 tyres with 12C track temps, sure it was like driving on ice, but still fairly controllable and the car is predictable.

Only issues during the night, all my cv pins came loose, my bad for not using some locktite on the grubs, and I nearly lost one pin which took some chunks from the rear hub, but nothing broke as such which is great (and I'm using the aloy front shafts and plastic spool ends).

Other issue was lower bulkhead screws all coming loose, getting conflicting info about how tight to do them up, and if to use maybe some blue light screw lock compound on them?. (and my final gripe about the kit is the poor quality of the included screws, the hex head wants to chew out very easy, do them up tight and you may not get some back out again).

Also I have a random pull to the right under medium to full power at speed, can't put my finger on what is causing it, only flaws I can find now at home, TOP brand servo saver has some give/play, it's not real stiff around center?, also realized my wing is a bit crooked, only other thought is maybe my cheapish servo has a random twitch?.

The mild pull to the right though is 'the' only thing spoiling a damn near perfect drive/feel, my first ever on-road electric and got to say I'm damn impressed with it as a package.

10.5T SP and HW 60A were also great, looking forward to switching to the turbo ware now and seeing just how ballistic it gets, if my skill can keep up with it.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Bishop,

I noticed the screws also, pays to check oftem but not to tighten too much.

I would check your weight distribution. I used to have this prob with my cars until i tried balancing them. Now they are fine. Particularly with the lipo weight rack thing hanging there its easy to just stick all your weight on it. When i was running the xerun esc i needed about 40g or so on the battery side to balance it and some down the middle to keep the weight distribution nice

10.5 is a great class.. even when it is replaced/extinct i think our club will keep running it. Very fast, with much less wear on the car then mod.

http://www.tchub.info/ - great site for setups (in my area)
Old 08-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I too was a bit dissapointed with the quality of the screws, I don't think they're hardened?
I've had a few chew out/strip with out any force/effort and I'm using a quality driver

I also seen the manual never mentioned putting thread lock on the cv grub screws, but I put some on jus from past experience of cars

had a bit of a light run with mine for first time yesterday, and so far I'm reasonbly impressed with how it goes fairly forgiving, predictable set up from kit

I'm running the 1.2mm 3 hole pistons and 40wt losi oil
I don't have sway bars all round (just one up front) as one threaded collar broke on the build

the only other change I've done is move the bell crank from c position to b an layed the shocks in one hole all round
Old 08-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

The best 10 dollars you can spend on a photon is to get the axle pin holders.
and never worry about the cvd set screw again.

T.O.P Racing Products Aluminum Axle Pin Holder (Red) (4)
[TRP-PO-DT1007RD]
Old 08-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bishop
Ran my Photon for the first time Friday night, got to say I loved it, kit setup with 450 TM shock oil (and LiPo chassis), considering I was on old borrowed set of 36 tyres with 12C track temps, sure it was like driving on ice, but still fairly controllable and the car is predictable.

Only issues during the night, all my cv pins came loose, my bad for not using some locktite on the grubs, and I nearly lost one pin which took some chunks from the rear hub, but nothing broke as such which is great (and I'm using the aloy front shafts and plastic spool ends).

Other issue was lower bulkhead screws all coming loose, getting conflicting info about how tight to do them up, and if to use maybe some blue light screw lock compound on them?. (and my final gripe about the kit is the poor quality of the included screws, the hex head wants to chew out very easy, do them up tight and you may not get some back out again).

Also I have a random pull to the right under medium to full power at speed, can't put my finger on what is causing it, only flaws I can find now at home, TOP brand servo saver has some give/play, it's not real stiff around center?, also realized my wing is a bit crooked, only other thought is maybe my cheapish servo has a random twitch?.

The mild pull to the right though is 'the' only thing spoiling a damn near perfect drive/feel, my first ever on-road electric and got to say I'm damn impressed with it as a package.

10.5T SP and HW 60A were also great, looking forward to switching to the turbo ware now and seeing just how ballistic it gets, if my skill can keep up with it.
Re: the pull to the side - do you know about "tweaking" a car? Basically making sure everything is balanced under running loads.

Here is something I wrote up a few years ago - http://www.sosidge.com/sosidge/yokomo_sd_tweak.php - the basic process applies to the Photon too, just use the small holes drilled in the shock towers to lift the car. Here is a more professional article - http://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=2 - although it uses a special tweak tool, it has some good general tips too.

The servo saver is a Kimbrough, usually a good product. If it has some float around centre I would look at its fit on the servo spline, or it may be a faulty one.

If you do use threadlock on the bulkheads be very careful to only put a smear on the thread - any more than that will just bond the chassis to the screw and cause even more problems!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesReilly

[TRP-PO-DT1007RD]
Looks good, did not know you could get something like that, will go onto my must have list.

Don't know about tweak causing my pull, or balance, the car will track true and pull straight when you punch it, just more so you get half way along a straight and suddenly it wants to drift right.

Did find a few things of note though when working on it today, one was droop was uneven on the front, but what got my attention was one of the grubs that pinch in the sway bar was missing up front, also the mount screw for the servo saver was not very tight, looks like that had backed off causing some of my steering slop.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I got some good track time today with the gear diffs. I ran 100k / 10k combination and the car worked very well. Track was a little dusty and the car was loose coming on throttle. I added a little front droop and the car was real good. We have a 120 ft straight with a chicane 3/4 of the way through. With the 80k fluid, the car pushed on initial entry to the chicane but with the 100k the car drove hard straight through at full throttle. Very nice. The rear diff is really starting to free up and not feel so "notchy". I'm glad to see that it isn't wearing IN too fast because I don't want it to wear OUT too fast.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesReilly

[TRP-PO-DT1007RD]
+1 agree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.