Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Default 2.25 Lipo Setup (revised)

Attached is the right setup.

Hey Guys,

Attached is my setup for the 2.25 lipo (stiff) chassis. This is the setup I used to win the South Africa Nationals and also the same setup I've been using at Norcal Hobbies (home of the 2010 Reedy Race and 2010 Roar Nationals). It's slightly different from my 2009 Reedy Race setup.

If you get a chance give it a try.

If you are using the standard 6 cell rubber chassis then use the Medium High roll centers.

EJ
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-ej-asphalt-2010_2.25-lipo.jpg  
Old 05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
Peeps it was a real treat to see this car with this setup in action this past weekend and I don't even drive a Photon...yet It is MONEY!!!
Thanks Fred! Your car was pretty good as well!!!

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Did you mislabel your roll centers on there. I thought you told me you were running high/lows not low highs?
Thanks for the catch! I've revised it on another post.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

EJ I took care of it
Old 05-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Default Spool issues

There is a slim chance that that could be the problem once or twice at the most but 6 times ? I do mark my Bearing cams in order for this not to happen and have been even more carefull since this has started happening. Worth checking though Cheers
Old 05-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darrenoakley
There is a slim chance that that could be the problem once or twice at the most but 6 times ? I do mark my Bearing cams in order for this not to happen and have been even more carefull since this has started happening. Worth checking though Cheers
Sorry to hear of your spool problems, that is very strange you have had that many failures.

I can't really think of what is causing this but just a few more things to look at would be...

Check the part number of the spools your getting from your hobby shop to make sure its the new version.

Do you have your axles staggered? If not try that as it will free up the front of the car some and take some stress off the spool in cornering. Staggering I mean to install one axle at 12-6 o'clock positions, other side do at 3 and 9.

I believe you said you replaced the front axles, but if they have a lot of slop in them it could be hammering the spool with all the free play.

Make sure your front end is free. Its doubtful, but pull the front bulkheads off and verify they are flat. If they are not it could be putting the spool into a bind causing heat to soften the plastic. Also I would check the camber link plates to see if they are squishing down on the bearing holders too tight. That could generate heat that would be transfered to the spool. If that is the case, some very very thin 3mm shims can be installed to lift the plates up some, and that would free up your car some.

Last thing I would tell you to do is epoxy the spool cups in It would strengthen it without adding much weight at all.

Good luck, hope you figure it out soon!

Last edited by Timmie; 05-10-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:02 PM
pmc
Tech Adept

Hello

I run in the last weekend the second round of the national championship in
Portugal in the stock class.

I end in 7th place.

this is my setup
(the rear toe in is 3 degrees)

Best regards:
Pedro Silva

Last edited by pmc; 04-07-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
Attached is the right setup.

Hey Guys,

Attached is my setup for the 2.25 lipo (stiff) chassis. This is the setup I used to win the South Africa Nationals and also the same setup I've been using at Norcal Hobbies (home of the 2010 Reedy Race and 2010 Roar Nationals). It's slightly different from my 2009 Reedy Race setup.

If you get a chance give it a try.

If you are using the standard 6 cell rubber chassis then use the Medium High roll centers.

EJ
hey EJ whats happening mate, it was great having you here in SA showing us how its done.
could you post your foam set up you used in the mod race.
Later
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

EJ thanks for posting the setup, just to add to iceman's question did you run the 2.25 Lipo chassis on the Mod car too.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Skitee
EJ thanks for posting the setup, just to add to iceman's question did you run the 2.25 Lipo chassis on the Mod car too.
Hey Skitee, how's it going over there! A little late for you isn't it? I ran the 2.25 stiff chassis in 10.5 Rubber and 2.25 extra stiff in Foam Mod. But I think in foam modified you can get away with running the 2.25 stiff and hard top deck. Let me know how it goes.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Iceman 69
hey EJ whats happening mate, it was great having you here in SA showing us how its done.
could you post your foam set up you used in the mod race.
Later
Hey Iceman, I'll post it in a couple days. I have to go look at my car.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
EJ I took care of it
THANK YOU!!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

EJ,

On the setup you just posted...Are you reversing the belts and can you check the droop settings on that sheet?

Thanks,
Ralph
Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ralph m
EJ,

On the setup you just posted...Are you reversing the belts and can you check the droop settings on that sheet?

Thanks,
Ralph
Hi Ralph, I'm running the belts the standard way. If I was trying to get weight down under 1400 then I would reverse the belts so I can take off weight and still balance the car L/R.

The droop is correct. 5.5 in the front (measured to the bottom of the arm under the outer hing pin) and 0.5 in the rear (measured under the connector piece of the hub).
Old 05-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

what chassis can you reverse the belts with? I can't do it with the chassis I have.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default Asphalt Setup

Here is my setup as a PDF.

Remember this is with the 2.25 lipo chassis stiff. If you are running the standard 2.5 Rubber Chassis then use the medium high roll centers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EJ Asphalt 2010.pdf (292.7 KB, 309 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.