Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Erik-here it is:
Originally posted by rayhuang
Now to be more specific-I ran the car with arms flat on the chassis and 4 degree caster blocks and stock ackermann. Shocks out two holes in front and all the way out in rear. The track was 60'x 30 or so- a little bullring of a track.

The base set-up i ran was with long rear camber link and short front.

Car was not too bad, but was overrotating on exit. I took down the dual rate quite bit to smooth out the car and it did improve. Next I tried shortening the rear link on the hub only. I went back out and car stayed flatter in the corners in the back and this lack of roll made the car feel more consistent.

It had a lot of ow speed cornering and high speed as well. Its ability to transition right and left and go through 180's was unreal. I felt like i could take 180's at a very high rate of speed. I also stood the front shock up one hole and that seemed to tame the squaring up on exit problem.

As this set-up was rather aggressive-perfect for this little track-I wanted to simulate the feel, but make it easier to drive on BIG tracks and went with a long front camber link. Very much to my suprise I picked up a HUGE mid corner push that carried the push to the exit. To get it to turn on exit I had to hold the steering at full lock beyond the apex and it was both sloppy to drive like that and even harder to be consistent.

I called RB Love about this push and he suggested putting pro-squat or ant-squat in the rear. I used pro-squat and car now carried the line from start to end, wasnt aggressive at all and looked ot be going as fast on exit as mid-corner. This was too much to believe so i took the pro-squat out and car pushed like mad again.

Very good day to learn about the Pro4.

My conclusions are if your running on a tight carpet high bite track, run short front and rear camber links. Car will turn on a dime and go left right like a whip.

If your running on a larger track, try a long front camber link, but put the pro-squat in the back.

Can anyoneback-this up or refute it?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 04-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: TWEAK cont...

oops..
Old 04-22-2004, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rayhuang
Erik-

Did you read my post a few pages back about the carpet foam test day?

I'd like your input on the pro-squat. Also-on roll centers, whats the "feel" of lowering and raising the inner ballstuds as compared to lowering and raising the bottom hingepins. Is it opposite effect?

Thanks,
Ray
I am also interested in what others think/know about roll centers... had a discussion with my partner the other day that was rather 'interesting'..
Old 04-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Erik Shauver

cartmen34: Unless you plan on driving upside down a lot without a body, I'm not sure what this check will verify or show about your car .

I see. Well, it was what someone else tried on here. And I'll be honest with you, it seems to be a "poor man's way" to check for tweak. It seems to work because, sure enough, I had the RF shock tower not touching the ground, and then I put it on my tweak board and the RF was the heavy corner.

So I grabbed the car and gave it a quick twist to try and straighten it until all four corners of towers touched. Then I put it back on the scales and the car was MUCH closer to balanced than it was before.

It seems to me to be a pretty logical, albeit slightly unprecise way to check for chassis tweak. At least it'll give you a quick, ballpark idea on your car's chassis tweak situation without having to break out the scales and setup wheels.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

New shell for the Pro 4. I figured I'd give the 6 a try.
Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-dscf0025.jpg  
Old 04-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Under the inspection of the Crew Cheif
Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-dscf0027.jpg  
Old 04-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

One more.
Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-dscf0029.jpg  
Old 04-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have read about people turning their top decks upside down (countersunk holes on the bottom) to help with the ill effects of tweak and I wanted to know how this works...or does it work? And where do you put the countersunk washers..on the top to spread the load or on the bottom to ensure a proper fit?

Thanks, Mike
Old 04-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
Under the inspection of the Crew Cheif
cute hehehe is that your son? you're such a dad dude!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Michal101
I have read about people turning their top decks upside down (countersunk holes on the bottom) to help with the ill effects of tweak and I wanted to know how this works...or does it work? And where do you put the countersunk washers..on the top to spread the load or on the bottom to ensure a proper fit?

Thanks, Mike
mate the countersunk deck is what stops the tweaking. with my old evo3s the top deck was never sunk and it would tweak at the smallest fart. i countersunk it, and it was 20X's better.

i've got the alloy camber link supports on the pro4 and haven't had any tweak issues. i race on asphalt not carpet. if you race on carpet you might have more G's of force going through the chassis. if ur a carpet muncher disregard what i said.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Michal101

Thanks, Mike
I too tried this on my Car and noticed no benefit. My Upper Deck is currently mounted right side up.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:55 AM
X2
Tech Regular

Hey Pops, did u manage to un-tweak ur car?
Old 04-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

cute hehehe is that your son? you're such a dad dude!
No, that's my daughter, her hair just isn't that long (shut it Troy!). Yeah, she's my buddy.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
New shell for the Pro 4. I figured I'd give the 6 a try.
gary!!! what the??? you won concourse for TCS Nats.. and tahts all youcan come up with for a paint job???

i shouldnt talk tho... my car is one color with no stickers! hahaha how do u like the pro4?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Here's a quick one.... PRO 4 Editable PDF

Someone test it and let me know what needs changed.

I get an error due to the Japanese font.

Also, test the Rollout as it auto calculates it.

HPI Pro 4 Editable Form TEST

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.