Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th scale Motonica

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Stefan, compare your setup to this one: http://www.motonica-usa.com/Support/P80RWCC08.jpg
This setup gets good steering on our high bite tracks, using both Dome and Parma R11 bodies.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Wink

Originally Posted by ESWLFSE
Welcome. I also just started racing again this year after a 15 year break. My last car was a PB Phoenix.
Wow that's an old one
Old 05-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by garen
Stefan, compare your setup to this one: http://www.motonica-usa.com/Support/P80RWCC08.jpg
This setup gets good steering on our high bite tracks, using both Dome and Parma R11 bodies.
Thanks Garen, the main difference are the springs front and rear, and the rear oil, so i will try that, camber and toe looks very similar front and rear.
I will try this next week, see what happens.
Greetz Stefan.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Garen, Here's the setup I was using last week at Homestead Rc Raceway, In case some of you guys don't know me, I’m Juan Ragusa from Miami, FL, and we just switch to motonica weeks ago, I will try to help on this post as you guys did with me (I found a lot of great info about the P08R in here).

The Track has medium-High grip conditions, is very fast, with nice straight and a long sweeper at the end that you can pretty much do it at full speed, it has a couple of tight curves and a nice chicane that you can also do at full speed (much like the ones on Ft Myers but not that difficult).

Here's what we used:

FRONT:

downstop: 2mm
Front width: 250mm
toe: 0.5 degrees out
Caster angle: 3mm at the front (full caster)
Camber: 1,5 degrees
antiroll bar: 35 degrees
shock oil: 500
shock piston: 1 hole
spring: medium-hard (we use one from another brand)
shock position:: 2
roll center upper arms: no shims
roll center lower arms: 2mm (feels more aggressive with 2mm, I used only 1mm because Id liked it more).

REAR:

downstop: 5mm
rear width: 262mm
toe angle: 3 degrees
camber angle: 3 degrees
antiroll bar: flat (0 degrees)
shock oil: 500
shock piston: 2 holes
spring: the ones that came on the kit (I think they are whites)
shock position: 1
RollCenter upper: 1mm
RollCenter Lower: 1mm (With 1mm Anti-Squat)
Tires: Front 65mm, Rear 72mm
Clearance: Front 5mm, Rear 6mm

Pinion Gear: 16/20
Spur Gear: 50/47

Body: Central mounted 6mm (measured from the bumper)

The way we set up anti-squat on the rear:

We install 1mm shims at the front side of the lower arms and 2mm at the rear side of the lower arms.

Overall, the car felt really planted, with lots of steering and great stability under braking, the only problem we found is that was a tinny bit loose on the rear but that was mostly because of the track as all the other racers found that same problem, hopefully we will solve that problem at the race when the track gets way better grip.

Sadly, we couldn't compare our lap times with other 1/8th scale racers because nobody was running 1/8th scales, but compared with great touring car drivers we where a second and a half faster, with very consistent lap times at the end of the day.

That was our second day of practice with the p08R, and we are still amazed on how the car performs, it responds to everything you do on it and you can fine-tuned it to your liking.

Hope you guys find this helpful!!!

Best Regards to everyone!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stefanmotonica
Hello everybody,

My name is Stefan from Holland.
This year i started racing again, after a 15 year break.
I used to race for Serpent from the middle 80's until the end of 1993.
This time i wanted to drive something that didn't look like a serpent, mugen or Kyosho, because they all look the same
Than i saw this Motonica appearing and heard of it's performance and i was turned around.
I'm still working on the set-up, it's getting better and better all the time.
I don't have that much time being a father so i have to be patient.
This year is a learning experience, and i try to be competitive next year.
Now i'm in second position in say the F2, first race 2nd and second race 6th, i was in 2nd place again when my glowplug fell in so i stopped.
In overall standings i'm still in 2nd place and after 6 races i hope to promote to the F1.(first 6 drivers will promote).
I like this forum because you see a lot of the same little problems of understear, wich i recognise also.
I now run with the 1mm shims up and low in the rear and 2 mm in front up and low. With mugen white springs and 500 oil. Full stiff rear swaybar.
This race the stearing was much better but still not enough.

Ps i was noticed by this forum due Scotty Barrera, hi Scotty thanks for all your tips.

Greetz Stefan.
No problem, glad i could help you out. Anytime buddy!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Tech Adept

This is how I mount my pt, after the qualifications. During qualification, it was placed vertically on receiver mount. I don't have any receiver problems and it count my laps all day. But during the last qualification it didn't count my 2 laps. This is a plastic transponder mount from mugen. I glue it over my steering servo with ca. I don't try it yet, I hope it can handle racing abuse. Is there any other mounting idea? (I want to take all electronics as one part when required)
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th scale Motonica-tr1.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-tp2.jpg  
Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Juan, have you tried the car with and without the antisquat? If the bite comes up and you need more steering, move the caster clips behind the upper arm, try stiffer springs in the rear, stiffen the rear bar. Keep an eye on the Central body as it might be rubbing the front upper arms.

PT mounting: Try mounting it on top of the graphite plate, and connect it with a wire lead so you can unplug it and remove the servo tray. I normally mount mine vertically on the receiver mount, but on certain tracks the timing loop does not pick it up, so I mount it on top of the plate.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Garen,
I like it more with the anti-squat because of the fact that the car behaves much better at the exit of the curves under acceleration, and I felt the rear more "planted" or with a bit more grip.
I also tried to decrease the caster but it tends to "push" or understeer on the sweeper at high speed.
I will try to use stiffer springs and a stiffer bar on the rear if the traction gets better.
Anyways, thanks a lot for your input, I'll really appreciate all your help!!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Is there somwhere i can download a blank setup sheet for the Motonica? either pdf or .doc
Thanks
Randy
Old 05-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

.PDF

.XLS
Old 05-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by garen
Hello Garen,

we had a clubrace on MACH Heemstede this weekend, and the car was great.
I did the black springs in front and the hard springs in rear with 700 oil.
I could do very consistant laps, had pole position and the fastest lap of the day, so i was very happy.
In the 30.min final everything went smooth until after about 20 minutes wenn my car started to act very strange.

I was in first place that moment with half a lap in front, i thought my tires where worn out, so i consolidate my second place till the end.
When i got the car back my battery pack had come loose and was sliding alongside my chassis on the track.
Seemed that the fuel solved the tape and the battery came loose.
I was still very happy with the result,second, and that the car is getting better and better with consisting laptimes.

How long does a frontbelt last?
It seems that after about 2.5 hours of racing it starts loosing teeth, is that normal, i have the tension of the frontbelt neutral.
I had to replace it twice now.

Greetz Stefan.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Addict

Hi Stefan,
good to see you here was a lot of fun yesterday

myself was happy with 3rd place from 9th on the grid and @ start my motor went of so hat to start from the pits so 1 already 1 lap down.
think you already very fast with the Montonica.

1st place Richard K
2nd Stefan K
3rd Michel The Border

more luck next time
Michel
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th scale Motonica-finalmach1-8.jpg  
Old 05-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Stefan, glad to see you are doing well with the car. One common statement from Motonica drivers is that they are able to do very consistent lap times, even over longer main events. Although I have not had problems with the battery tape coming off due to fuel, you might want to 'glue' your battery onto the tray with a thick glue... we use 'shoe goo'.
Front belt life depends a lot on track conditions, tire diameter split, etc. I use the middle tension position as do most of the drivers I know. Normally I would recommend putting in a new belt before a long main event, and keeping the old one for practice.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

[quote=border r/c;4436354]Hi Stefan,
good to see you here was a lot of fun yesterday

Heeeeeey Michel, thanks for the support, i think you still have my cleaning gum, lol.............

Yes it was a lot of fun with fast racing, see you at Rucphen, and well done with your 3rd place coming from 7th in the B-final.

Greetz Stefan.

Ps nice picture
Old 05-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

[quote=garen;4437082]Stefan, glad to see you are doing well with the car. One common statement from Motonica drivers is that they are able to do very consistent lap times, even over longer main events. Although I have not had problems with the battery tape coming off due to fuel, you might want to 'glue' your battery onto the tray with a thick glue... we use 'shoe goo'.
Front belt life depends a lot on track conditions, tire diameter split, etc. I use the middle tension position as do most of the drivers I know. Normally I would recommend putting in a new belt before a long main event, and keeping the old one for practice.[/quo

Hello Garen,

Thanks for the tip for glueing the barrery on the plate, i will do that.
That with the belts is also a good tip, thanks.

Greetz Stefan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.