Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Xray NT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TomB
if you are having such huge tyre wear it's proabbly due to the rear end sliding around too much, you might not notice it because the car feels quick, but it may be that it is infact quick because it is steering into the corners by sliding the rear end around.

try to soften the rear up, or try to go a narrower track width at the front, and increase the initial steering at the front by going to a lower shock position on the front tower, or a softer shock oil or more holes open on the front shocks, basically dial more steering into the front (to increase steering) and soften the rear up (to stop the car from sliding into the corners as you enter).

just an idea. but usually excessive tyre wear means you are slidding around as opposed to gripping, even if you don't notice it, it may be the case, so try the above.

TomB, some good tips there I think I'll try myself. Our track has sh*t grip for half the day, is bumpy in some parts plus it has horrible tyre wear. It affects all cars (NT1, 720, RRR, MTX, 1/8, 1/10th) though. Trying a different config costs nothing but a few laps of time. I was wondering about softening the front shocks though. I find with a softer front shock steering tends to be less accurate. Do I get more steering out a corner if the front shocks are softer???

Rob
Old 06-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TomB
also the protoform stratus body is shithouse (very understeery on exit). if you are using it, ditch it, and go to one that steers more. From what i heard the east civic tourer bod is good. the Serpent distributors here in Australia are the importers. from all reports it has really good rear end grip and excellent exit steering.
I too find it understeers with the basic settings. On the other hand I find it is easier to be smooth with Stratus 3 which does help with lap times. I think you can pretty well make any body perform as well as you need to depending on how much time you want to spend on dialing in your car. The body is light but the lexan is thinner than Kawahara. It doesn't last as long but it's cheaper. I thought it was the Stratus that won this year's WinterNats? No?

For me the Kawahara IS250 has been a pretty good body on the NT1 on the track I use. It's definitely tougher than the Protoform but also heavier (thicker lexan). It's quick but can be a little jumpy when grip is low. While it is more expensive I've been running the same Kawahara body for 7 weekends straight and it's still in one piece. I've lost a wing though but the body comes with 2.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by going4#1
TomB, some good tips there I think I'll try myself. Our track has sh*t grip for half the day, is bumpy in some parts plus it has horrible tyre wear. It affects all cars (NT1, 720, RRR, MTX, 1/8, 1/10th) though. Trying a different config costs nothing but a few laps of time. I was wondering about softening the front shocks though. I find with a softer front shock steering tends to be less accurate. Do I get more steering out a corner if the front shocks are softer???

Rob
yeah you get more steering out of a corner because the soft shocks on the front shift the weight to the rear when you are on power quicker than what they would if it was a thicker oil.

what you could also try is a harder spring, and less holes open on the front shock, just play around with setup. if it's heaps bumpy, then just go to a soft oil soft shock (electric car style springs), and narrow the track width heaps.

you could also lower the height of the front top a arm as well to gain more front grip
Old 06-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default New clutch spring

I've just ordered the new Hudy clutch spring, the hard one (black). Any suggestions on how far I should clamp it down. 1mm? 1.2mm? Right now I use the Mugen Super Hard and that clamps down to .4~.6 and works great. Going to try the Hudy hard spring but looking for any ideas on clutch settings. I'm using the yellow shoe with a .7mm gap and .1mm end play.

Has anyone tried placing flyweights between pins?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by going4#1
I've just ordered the new Hudy clutch spring, the hard one (black). Any suggestions on how far I should clamp it down. 1mm? 1.2mm? Right now I use the Mugen Super Hard and that clamps down to .4~.6 and works great. Going to try the Hudy hard spring but looking for any ideas on clutch settings. I'm using the yellow shoe with a .7mm gap and .1mm end play.

Has anyone tried placing flyweights between pins?
it's probably the same settings as the mugen spring.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

Has anyone tried the multi-flex engine mount? How should it be used?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

It's an option to help stiffen up and lessen chassis flex. Good for really high traction conditions and helps the car become more responsive only in those conditions. Otherwise it may cause your to push more, and just have less traction overall on a low traction surface.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

If you have the 2nd gear broken syndrome, use it.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D-nicest
It's an option to help stiffen up and lessen chassis flex. Good for really high traction conditions and helps the car become more responsive only in those conditions. Otherwise it may cause your to push more, and just have less traction overall on a low traction surface.
the track i run on is mid high traction and at times we run 42 front & 42 rear so i think i would like to try one
Old 06-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by asw7576
And always use fresh tires. Fresh tires really make the difference.

AND NEVER EVER CUT REAR TIRES TO BE USE AS FRONT TIRES.

Bboy : ( perhaps this is my personal setup, you don't have to follow )

Recently I've been using softer tires for front and harder tires for rear with 2.5 mm split. I use Kawahara 37 front and 40 rear. Why harder rear tires ?

1st. This help reduce excessive rear tire wear in my car. After 1 hour practice, front tires and rear tires end up almost the same diameter. Sometimes rear tires still get 1mm bigger in diameter than front tires. ( fyi : driving with smaller rear tires than front is really lousy to drive ).

2nd. I need more steering + higher cornering speed. Softer tires at front in theory will create more front bite, thus creating more steering and possibly higher cornering speed too.

3rd. I'm still using front gear diff. I don't use one way. Using front & rear gear diff setup require 1:1 overdrive ratio, otherwise you are either dragging front or rear tires. Harder rear tires help me to maintain close to 1:1 overdrive ratio during long final because front and rear tires are wearing at the same rate.

Just want to update everyone. I tried the setup above and the car drove beautifully. I also tried front gear diff vs one way and it seem to give me a lot more throttle control and solid feel. I think I will play with the front next time to see the difference between gear diff vs spool vs one-way.

Cheers everyone!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RANDY SMOOTH
the track i run on is mid high traction and at times we run 42 front & 42 rear so i think i would like to try one
Randy, I'll try to make it this weekend to SS....I have a new setup that I want to try..... Get your spool out!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Ralph, Paul, Josh, Mike, Drew and the entire XRAY RC America team for the great support this past weekend at the 2008 Capital Classic!!!

Once again, copying Ralph's NT1 setup and making just a few changes for my driving style proved to be the consistently fast way around the track for me.

Congrats Ralph on the second consecutive TQ and this years Sedan A main win, amongst arguably the best drivers in the entire US. Next year hopefully we can draw the overseas crowd to the race, add an extra day and fit in 300+ entries.

Here's a link to the setup I ran in the B main.

Last edited by teamgp; 06-09-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

hi Guys,

I have problem with the brackpads. The lifespan is very short an durring the long finals its not consistend. What for pads do u guys runnig? has anyone a good idea for the pads. other brand etc...

thnx
Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CIMRI
hi Guys,

I have problem with the brackpads. The lifespan is very short an durring the long finals its not consistend. What for pads do u guys runnig? has anyone a good idea for the pads. other brand etc...

thnx
I had the same problem and all I did was flip the brake disk so that the slots went the other way. After that, the pads lasted a lot longer.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CIMRI
hi Guys,

thnx
After I started glueing the pads to the aluminum back plates, the wear went down significantly. I also have the brake disc mounted so that the groves rotate forward and out from the center shaft, like a saw blade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.