Search
Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YmeBP
So my question is how does this "lean" affect the Type-R specifically, does low roll center promote lean, or does high roll center promote lean?
Lower roll center will transfer more weight onto the outside tyres in a corner. Higher roll center, in comparison, will keep a little more on the inside tyres.

Because we run negative camber on all wheels, only the outside tyres have have a full contact patch(if the right amount of camber is used) in a corner. So in a way you want as much weight on the outside as possible so the wheels with the right geometry are doing the work. If you unload the inside too much you will diff out and lose drive.

If you run a spool you want as little weight as possible on the inside tyre so its not scrubbing against the outside. But too much roll and you could traction roll! Also more roll means a less reactive car in tight technical sections of a track. To quote Dragonfire, "its all a compromise".
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

does anyone besides me live in cali and run the type r?
there is a new indoor onroad track that is opening with in the next week
Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JRXS_chris
^^^^ Pics required please matey!

My Flying Fox layshaft arrived here in the UK yesterday and has been installed. VERY impressed with the quality of the item!

I'll try. I'am not so able with CPU.

ciao ciao
Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4wheeldrift
Its the distance between the center of gravity and the roll center. The larger the distance the more leverage = more lean. Lower roll center is going to be a greater distance from the CG. Good example would be off road cars. High CG, low RC. Motorcycles are the opposite. Low CG and very high RC, thats why they lean into a corner.

I use this software http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...alculator.html
For me having roll centers within a mm front to rear seams to work out the best for me.
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
Lower roll center will transfer more weight onto the outside tyres in a corner. Higher roll center, in comparison, will keep a little more on the inside tyres.

Because we run negative camber on all wheels, only the outside tyres have have a full contact patch(if the right amount of camber is used) in a corner. So in a way you want as much weight on the outside as possible so the wheels with the right geometry are doing the work. If you unload the inside too much you will diff out and lose drive.

If you run a spool you want as little weight as possible on the inside tyre so its not scrubbing against the outside. But too much roll and you could traction roll! Also more roll means a less reactive car in tight technical sections of a track. To quote Dragonfire, "its all a compromise".
The reason why I love this forum . Thanks guys this is great i think I'll have to make sure to spend a quiet day at the track trying out very drastic differences between the front and the rear of the car.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4wheeldrift
Its the distance between the center of gravity and the roll center. The larger the distance the more leverage = more lean. Lower roll center is going to be a greater distance from the CG. Good example would be off road cars. High CG, low RC. Motorcycles are the opposite. Low CG and very high RC, thats why they lean into a corner.

I use this software http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...alculator.html
For me having roll centers within a mm front to rear seams to work out the best for me.
I'll simplify that for you more...
Lower rollcenter = more grip / less response
Higher rollcenter = less grip / more response
What you need to be fast depends on the grip levels and layout but because the type R is ultra responsive at all times (due to chassis layout) I feel that with rubber low will always give better results. Foam however always has grip so I would lean the other way with high roll centers.

As mentioned above rollcenters are rarely the same front to rear. This is what is called the roll axis which is an imaginary line running between the front and rear rollcenters (sorry no pics). The best use for this line is to understand how much of your chassis weight is effecting each end of the chassis. I generally run a roll axis leaning towards the front which means that more weight is over my front wheels all the time giving greater grip at that end. This however takes some experience to handle as the chassis will "lose" the rear end in line with the amount you lift off the throttle.

Anyway setup is a pretty complicated thing but as mentioned a few posts ago is usually an adaptation of the chassis to suit the driver so once you find a happy medium setup there will be minimal change from track to track.

Hope I haven't confused everyone...
Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Can someone please help. I have searched, google searched and it is still not clear to me. I am very new to touring car.

What is the recommended gearing, spurs and pinions to run on an asphalt track typically for a 13.5 motor. I can use either a Novak or Hacker 13.5.

Also, what is better, a 48 or 64 pitch spurs and pinions? I read that 64p strip easy on asphalt, is this really a bad problem?

I believe I already ordered a 92t 48p pinion, however I am going to place another order tomorrow to make sure I get the right gearing.

I can run some boost using a Tekin RS Pro.

Please help JRXS pros!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I'll simplify that for you more...
Lower rollcenter = more grip / less response
Higher rollcenter = less grip / more response
What you need to be fast depends on the grip levels and layout but because the type R is ultra responsive at all times (due to chassis layout) I feel that with rubber low will always give better results. Foam however always has grip so I would lean the other way with high roll centers.

As mentioned above rollcenters are rarely the same front to rear. This is what is called the roll axis which is an imaginary line running between the front and rear rollcenters (sorry no pics). The best use for this line is to understand how much of your chassis weight is effecting each end of the chassis. I generally run a roll axis leaning towards the front which means that more weight is over my front wheels all the time giving greater grip at that end. This however takes some experience to handle as the chassis will "lose" the rear end in line with the amount you lift off the throttle.

Anyway setup is a pretty complicated thing but as mentioned a few posts ago is usually an adaptation of the chassis to suit the driver so once you find a happy medium setup there will be minimal change from track to track.

Hope I haven't confused everyone...
You won't run high roll center on foams, you need the slower weight transfer to prevent traction rolling on turn in, maybe if you were running hard front tires, but everyone runs rears all around these days.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
You won't run high roll center on foams, you need the slower weight transfer to prevent traction rolling on turn in, maybe if you were running hard front tires, but everyone runs rears all around these days.
+1
Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

metalracer2-- their will be a couple of guys running the losi including my self down here at westcoast rc hope to see you out at the track it will be open very very shortly...

Pablo are you the one in charge of all the ordering of that lay shaft i need to order one, my buddy Chris is running one of the flyingfox shafts out here and its working good, need to see what i have to do to get my hands on one??? thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

c.poh-- i will defiantly be there
Old 07-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

can anyone help me and give me any gearing suggestions?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hope this help Mattnin

Can someone please help. I have searched, google searched and it is still not clear to me. I am very new to touring car.

What is the recommended gearing, spurs and pinions to run on an asphalt track typically for a 13.5 motor. I can use either a Novak or Hacker 13.5.

>>108 T 64 P Spur with a 45 pinion should be good starting point if you have a PRS spur adaptor.

Also, what is better, a 48 or 64 pitch spurs and pinions? I read that 64p strip easy on asphalt, is this really a bad problem?

>>if your track is prepped commercial track go with a 64P, for parking lot or street run go with a 48P spur

I believe I already ordered a 92t 48p pinion, however I am going to place another order tomorrow to make sure I get the right gearing.

>>>>order 45T-50T pinions. with 108T spur in 64Pitch if you have a PRS adaptor, if not wait for few minute. I ll look up gear chart
>>I assume you ordered Losi 48P spur gear LOSA3973 if you wanted to use that gear then you will need 37T-40T in 48P gears but you will need to double chck if motor can move that far to fits those pinion.
>>bottom line is you need final Gear Ratio 4.2 to 4.5 for a 13.5 motor

I can run some boost using a Tekin RS Pro.

Please help JRXS pros!

>>>sorry me no pro~

Last edited by SweepRacingUSA; 07-08-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C.Poh
Pablo are you the one in charge of all the ordering of that lay shaft i need to order one, my buddy Chris is running one of the flyingfox shafts out here and its working good, need to see what i have to do to get my hands on one??? thanks
I'm the person who makes them. If you are in the USA you are better off ordering from www.skyrocketbatteries.com He sells them for the same price as me and his postage is lower and faster as he is also based in the states.

Good to hear they working well. I'm not far from showing you all my next part for the Type R!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

da jon, thank you very much for all the information.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
I'm the person who makes them. If you are in the USA you are better off ordering from www.skyrocketbatteries.com He sells them for the same price as me and his postage is lower and faster as he is also based in the states.

Good to hear they working well. I'm not far from showing you all my next part for the Type R!!!
Looking forward to seeing this!

Any clues?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.