Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

negative is the side that has the 2 pressed slots/grooves (not sure the right name) things that keep the magnets in place.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by racenut
thanks pete

How do i know which is the positive side and negative in my motor???

There is also a dot on the posite side right next to the tab. The dot is going to be either white or red depending what silver can you get
Old 09-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default positive ?????

Another sure fire way, you can not go wrong......solder the wires to the motor terminals from the speedo, charge battery, plug in battery, place car on track, turn on radio, check steering, and go..go..go.. If your eyes are not seeing the car by now go to the first corner, take car back to pits as it went to the last corner first, change the wires over to the other terminals, works all the time, there, no worries mate Aussie Bob
Old 09-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

reading through this post about the aarcmcc rules on 540 it states grey can silver endbell if i remember correctly so all tamiya 540's are illegal?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks guys!!! cheers!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 03:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Aussie Bob,

Your instructions are wayyyyy to technical, are you a numb-nut of sorts? ;-)

Cheers,
Vance.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Vance

Sorry, i will make it easier for you, if the wires are on the wrong terminal, take them off the terminals and resolder them in reverse, ...or, race backwards, but then again, you would have to start the car facing the wrong way...i think thats it. No...just get someone else to fix it or blame someone else,............ hang on, it is late here now and i am tired, dont ask such a hard question, what about something like a cricket question
Aussie BOB
Old 09-26-2006, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dangles
reading through this post about the aarcmcc rules on 540 it states grey can silver endbell if i remember correctly so all tamiya 540's are illegal?
wrong. tamiya motors are fine, infact the black endbell tamiya motors are quicker then the new silver endbell tamiya motors
Old 09-27-2006, 01:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys,

The normal Johnson 540 is what makes this tread. I know that a local hobby shop stocked dodgy matt-grey coloured motor with a built-in fan in the end bell. This thing was really k@k (a.k.a. sh1t)!!! They revved like a stock and you geared them accordingly, but they did not last. To take a guess, I think they came from suppliers of these cheapy 4x4 trucks, but not sure. Some guys also tried motors from a Traxxas truck kit, but also didn't last. They all came smokin of the line ...

Cheers,
Vance.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default drill motor

Vance, what that is from is a cordless drill made by Ryobi. They have a built in fan and if they are scrutineered that fan can be seen, but they do go like the bails off the stumps from a South Africian batsman playing the Aussies
They are 540 but
See yah
Old 09-27-2006, 06:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Aussie Bob,

I like the way you think, but I have to protest and say that those motors smokin sensation is more like a Aussie cricket fielder just missing another 4 hitting the boundry while eating some grassy dust ... HOWZATTTTT :-)

Cheers,
Vance.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

ok ok enough of the cricket, the season hasnt even started...

heres a general question for discussion

what would you say is the difference (in sec/lap) between a good 540 and a good stock motor.

I raced at a new track recently and was disappointed that there were only 2 entries in 540, so we ended up getting bumped up into stock B and I was surprised that both the 540s were able to compete with the *slower* stock motors. The stock cars were faster along the straight, and have more acceleration but tended to lose more momentum through the corners, where as the 540s, by driving a different 'line' managed to maintain more momentum through the turns and in the end it was fairly close. good racing.

Pete
Old 10-03-2006, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

At a Tamiya Championship Series race earlier this year, the difference between GT3 (silver can) and GT2 (stock motor) A Main average lap times was about 1.5 seconds per lap, 16.8 seconds to 15.1 seconds. This was on what I'd consider a fairly technical track. Both GT2 and GT3 are tub chassis classes. The drivers weren't the same, but this should give you some idea.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I've got a small bucketful of silver can motors. Some new, some broken in, some came with vehicles I bought used, so I have no idea how they were broken in or (ab)used.

What's the best way to tell which of these motors are faster than others? Any relatively cheap and easy way to bench test them? Or, should I just test each one on the track?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hawk6
I've got a small bucketful of silver can motors. Some new, some broken in, some came with vehicles I bought used, so I have no idea how they were broken in or (ab)used.

What's the best way to tell which of these motors are faster than others? Any relatively cheap and easy way to bench test them? Or, should I just test each one on the track?

Thanks.
Find a buddy that has a dyno, it's way more consistant (ie, battery, bad lap, tire spin,etc..).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.