Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 05:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Smile

Darkside: I've been racing Yokomo cars for the past 4 or 5 years, however, every now-and-then I get the itch to buy something new. I'm looking at the Corally 1/12th for the winter season, but touring cars on asphalt is why I love r/c. Our outdoor season will be ending soon. I probably won't purchase a new TC until March '02, by then Yokomo will have a new car, and I'll forget all about the Losi.

The Losi does look good though.
Old 08-31-2001, 06:38 AM
Tech Adept

Just been reading the thread over the last few days. Some of it's very informative.

My questions envolve around tires for the XXXS. I've only ever raced touring car on one track before, which is industrial carpet in which we used HPI Narrow X-Pattern tires and then when the rule changed where we could use foams, I switched to TRC Pink and Purples and then to Plaid fronts and Purple rears. Laptimes went down but I hated every minute of using the foams and pretty much stopped racing touring because of it (personal reasons, let's dont' discuss this)

Now I'm wondering with all this new tire/insert technology if there is some rubber tires that are able to compete with the foam tires on carpet. I was thinking about trying the SOREX 20R and 24R with some JB FOAMS from ORION. I was thinking about trying them with the HARD and MEDIUM compound inserts. I was also looking to try the HPI ADVAN tires in the carpet compund.

I was wanting to get your guys/gals thoughts and see what everyone else is running around the country. Any comments and or suggestions? or is the onlything that can compete with foam tires is another foam tire?

Thanks,
Jared Kirkwood
Old 08-31-2001, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

At my track we are in the process of deciding wheather or not to run foams again this winter. I personally hate foams,, just becasue they chunck, no other reason. I know Take off CS22 with standar included insert feels REALLY good on carpet, but will they keep up with foam,, NO.. We just recently started dealing with sorex so I have yet to try their product, but I still cant see them being as fast a foam. The reason I want to run rubber is that they are guaranteed to last at least 30 runs. Foams,,, heck it could be right after you put your car on the track for practice, and some schmuk crashes into you and your 20.00 set of tires have a huge chunk missing. Doesnt happen with rubber.

my point of view-
KB
Old 08-31-2001, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

guys we run rubber alot in wisconsin....the best are pit 25 frt and pit 20 rear...
wwe just started running sorex, i use 28 -24 combo....but guys do run 24-20.....also you cna tune with the tires...by putting 25 on the rear to loosen you up....we run anywhere from yok, med or firm, to hpi red and green...i usually use red for mod, and green for stock...or some combo....i am pretty sure, you cant make a rubber car as fast as a foam car...i am against the faom for the ame reasons as you guys,.....matt
Old 08-31-2001, 10:36 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Geppetto: It was the same with me. I had been running Yokomo for three years and got the "itch" as you say, to try something different. For me though, it was with Corally. Well good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

mr. losi - Thanks, where can I find more information on the PIT tires.? And where do I get them?

Also you said that you guys just started running the SOREXs. Do you guys like them just as good as the pits? What are the noticable difference between the SOREX and the PIT?

Keith Billanti - Thanks! That's the reason I don't enjoy racing the foams. Not to mention the consant changes in rollout, ride height and droop. For ME consistant changes like that is not fun while spending my Saturday at the track when I'm there to have fun.

Jared Kirkwood
Old 08-31-2001, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ty - Here's the set up I used last week at our local indoor track. Seems to be a good baseline but you can obviously fine tune as necessary.

Front - TRC Plaid Foams, O degree toe, ride height 5mm, -1 camber, 2 degree kickup block, 2 degree Associated caster block, no sway, arms middle, droop gauge 2, 80wt oil, 56 piston, Trinity purple congo spring, standard diff, shock in number 3 hole on tower and stock camber links.

Rear - TRC Purple Foams, 2 degree toe in, 5 mm ride height, no sway, arms middle, 2 degree antisquat block, droop height 4, 80wt oil, 55 piston, Losi black spring, Shock in #2 hole on tower outside hole on arm and stock camber link location.

For gearing I'm running anywhere from 22 up to 25 for pinion and 88 on the spur. Just depends on the size of the track and the amount of foam you have on your tires. My transponder is mounted behind the servo and I'm also using a Bud's bumper up front to protect the arms/spindles in crashes. Batts are split.

Some guys at the track are having good luck with Losi black springs all the way around with a little thicker oil or a smaller piston up front.

If you have any other questions about my car or the set up please fire away!
Old 08-31-2001, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Be still my beating heart Looks like Horizon has both composite arms and the new graphite chassis in stock!!!!
Old 08-31-2001, 08:52 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I am planning on getting the new chassis, but not until indoor season starts... I still have 3 or 4 more outdoor races with the car... rather not get the new chassis and then scratch it all up right away.

Gotta wait until indoors where everything is nice and clean
Old 08-31-2001, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

jared..the sorex, are just a little more tempramental....you can overhear them...but they are very close....the reason i think tey do this is cause the sorex has less rubber in the carcass....i just heard of the yok 139 g and gs...i will be trying those soon...
Old 08-31-2001, 09:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by TSR6
TRF - The Losi XXX-S stock chassis & parts are made from the losi Stiffzel, its like a composite. The option parts you was were the graphite parts.

Wolverine - Take your time, and pre-thread all the screws with the oversived 4-40 ( its the gold screw ). If you don't, you will do what Futureal did and strip the head of the small screws.
Thanks TSR6...............

I just about done.............. had to do alot of trimming......
some of the parts had alot of flashing on them

Old 08-31-2001, 09:37 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Wolverine

Thanks TSR6...............

I just about done.............. had to do alot of trimming......
some of the parts had alot of flashing on them

Cool, how do you like it so far? Cool eh? Mine didnt have that much flashing... if at all. I hope you like it as much as i do.
Old 08-31-2001, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by TSR6

Cool, how do you like it so far? Cool eh? Mine didnt have that much flashing... if at all. I hope you like it as much as i do.
So far so good........
It looks like a real winner.......

Hopefully I Drive it well, .............

Old 08-31-2001, 09:52 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

haha, that was most of my problem. I kept driving it like a nitro. I'm getting better at this "electric" concept again... I just wish i had working flashlights now

haha... accualy i like my XXX-S more than my nitro... So that is a huge step...
Old 09-01-2001, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Well I just ordered a new graphite chassis, some front and rear arms and a graphite front shock tower directly from Horizon's site. Now the real question will be.........are they all REALLY in stock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.