Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Hope to see a lot of Photons at the Birds this year. Can't wait to meet some of you and chat it up.
there will be at least three dudes rolling in from Horsham with Photons. Larry is planning on running Expert, Goat is running Stock (and maybe Expert) and I'm going to run Stock, Expert and Mod (with my expert car... to get more track time, otherwise I cannot get my rubber tire rhythm after running foam tire pan cars).
Old 01-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Abusing the new race fee structure are ya? Thats the way to do it.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Abusing the new race fee structure are ya? Thats the way to do it.
its not abuse .. if you run the qualifiers . i still gotta buy tires just like everyone else
Old 01-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
its not abuse .. if you run the qualifiers . i still gotta buy tires just like everyone else
You haven't learned the Scooby 30 run tires tricks?????
Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by MDawson
You haven't learned the Scooby 30 run tires tricks?????
ha - 56 run tires are more Scooby style. i hope to be slow like him some day j/k

miss ya Scooby!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anythinggas
I'm sure this has already been answered in this thread but I can't find it.
Can someone tell me which C-HUB beside the top ones will fit the Photon, it seem everybody is out of stock.
There in stock at A Main Hobbies right now for the photon.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by btswainmate
There in stock at A Main Hobbies right now for the photon.
We just got a big shipment-plenty for everybody!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just got a Photon, what are the common parts I should have on hand for this car? I have a tendency to hit the boards, and will most likely be running in blinky. also some set up advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Slow
Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SLOWINSLOWOUT
just got a Photon, what are the common parts I should have on hand for this car? I have a tendency to hit the boards, and will most likely be running in blinky. also some set up advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Slow
Congratulations on the new car. Mike Hanulec has a very good wiki page set up for the Photon. Alot of good advice for building the car and setup. Here's the link.http://www.racerlog.com/wiki/T.O.P._Photon

For spare parts I'd start with knuckles and c-hubs. The steering blocks are sold with the rear hubs. One of each per pack. The hinge pin carriers are nice to have around and I highly recommend that you replace the plastic bellcrank with either the TOP upgraded bellcrank or the King Headz one. Get a medium servo saver and you should be good. The stock screws are pretty soft, so make sure that you have a good wrench or just replace them before you build the car. Good luck and welcome to the TOP family.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default yokomo rear gear diff

I am only new to top photon and I am having trouble fitting the yokomo
gear diff to my top photon. It seems the rear dogbone (44.5mm) is to long or the outdrive is not deep enough like the ball diff. Is there something I am missing or do I need to order different parts . If possible does anyone have a link or advice please.
Regards Peter
Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by surveyor6.5
gear diff to my top photon. It seems the rear dogbone (44.5mm) is to long or the outdrive is not deep enough like the ball diff. Is there something I am missing or do I need to order different parts . If possible does anyone have a link or advice please.
Regards Peter
First make sure you have the diff shimmed correctly because it is narrower than the TOP one. Make sure the rear belt is aligned correctly between the diff and the centre pulley.

If you still need a shorter dogbone then TOP do make a 43mm Red aluminium dogbone.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by vr01
First make sure you have the diff shimmed correctly because it is narrower than the TOP one. Make sure the rear belt is aligned correctly between the diff and the centre pulley.

If you still need a shorter dogbone then TOP do make a 43mm Red aluminium dogbone.
i've never needed different rear drive shafts.... i think this is just a shimming issue...
Old 01-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Regards Peter
I posted about this some time back, it's not an ideal fit, you need to shim the Yoko diff to one side, but then not 'that' much cause then your belt will run on an angle.

Running the Yoko diff also limits how narrow you can set your rear track, or how much camber you can run, otherwise the blades will rub.

Other tip is sand whatever blades you do use as much as possible on the inside facing into the cup, to give that tiny bit more room.

I was going to try running 44mm bones of a BD5, but never got around to trying it, I'd actually like to narrow my rear track where I run, but can't with the current setup.

In my own Photon news, a friend ran up the back of me full tilt last night when I was stopped (end of race), left side rear arm came off and rear mount went flying into the grass, never thought to order some of those spare metal inserts, cause without it my night was over.

It's interesting that I'm perhaps lucky I never got around to using longer screws into the rear back bulkheads, if I had it may have pulled out the entire thread, as it stands nothing else broke, and it only pulled out a few threads, with a longer screw I won't need to replace the bulkhead.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Regards Peter
you can get TOP 43mm dogbones SKU# PO-SDT025RD

I have used the 44.5mm dogbones with the Yok diff if you shim it perfect, but the 43mm is a much easier solution,

Last edited by Rod M; 01-21-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
In my own Photon news, a friend ran up the back of me full tilt last night when I was stopped (end of race), left side rear arm came off and rear mount went flying into the grass, never thought to order some of those spare metal inserts, cause without it my night was over.

It's interesting that I'm perhaps lucky I never got around to using longer screws into the rear back bulkheads, if I had it may have pulled out the entire thread, as it stands nothing else broke, and it only pulled out a few threads, with a longer screw I won't need to replace the bulkhead.
yea I hightly recommend running longer Screws (M3x20 SKU# PA-SCO320) fixing the arms the the bulkhead,

The only issue with that is that with a massive hit you wont break anything but the screw may bend, but you will notice it straight away as the car wont track straight,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.