Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Not mounted on the car right now but here's what I use.
I like the HPI body post set with the post tops that are adjustable and the mounts are offset to mount with screws from topside.
Can easily find a couple upper deck screws to use or something on the chassis.
You get the idea

Good idea, thanks.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Originally Posted by robk
Like I have said before, if the Tekin fits our spec, I would love to have them in on this thing. The more the merrier...
So whats the update on this??, the TEKIN SPEC has been out for a while now, plenty of time to "test" it ...
Again any updates ?? 2014 is here, Snowbirds in just 3 weeks ...
Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

(sorry double post)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would like to see an addendum to the USVTA driver figure rule that requires the driver to have a helmet (preferably a racing helmet). Even driving goggles and a scarf would be better than nothing.

While I like the individual creativity that some people have shown with their custom driver figure, I feel that some efforts go past the "spirit of the class". A hacked up action figure/doll or any other random head/shoulder can almost be interpreted as mocking the current rules (at least in my opinion).

I should add that I'm not against caricatures, cartoon figures, or even bobble heads. As long as you can tell that the "driver" is ready to go racing, I think anything goes. I'm all for fun in racing. However I don't want people to look at the class and think it is a joke where rules don't matter.

This is something that has concerned me for a long time, but I don't make the rules. This is the last time I will comment on this issue other than to point out the list of driver figures in the USVTA rules.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Going to switch from the Novak edge to the Hobbywing Just stock. Any tips in setting it up? Also does anybody have any preference to running a narrow wheel base front and rear. I am running pretty even right now and had to widen the front to do so.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Again any updates ?? 2014 is here, Snowbirds in just 3 weeks ...
its being looked at and will be tested again later this weekend...

Rob and Eric Tuesday next week at earliest
Old 01-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I like the driver figure rule as it is. A head and shoulders. I think its fun to come up with a creative driver. Forcing people to only a "helmeted" driver limits creativity. Right now I have a minion and a G1 Starscream ready to be test mounted.

The drivers do look cool in any case, but only when in the pits or when taking pictures. You cant see them from the drivers stand or while watching so why does everyone cry about doing it or not or how "scale" it is/looks.

My local track doesnt require them, and for good reason. Its just one more rule for someone to interpret differently than someone else and cause a rucus.

I really like this class for its simplicity and look. I hope it stays that way.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Personally, I'm a scale guy so I put a reasonably realistic looking driver in mine. However, it doesn't bother me too much if folks want to do a "silly" driver. Like proffesor said, they can't be seen at all on the track and barely even when in the pits. As long as their driver doesn't present a clear performance advantage or is in some way an attempt to skirt the rules, I'm fine with it.

Personally, I think the driver rule is in there more as a way of showcasing the intent of the class to participants, i.e. try to make them look like real cars, not amorphous blobs like most TC classes.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Any update on the Tekin RS Spec yet? A ballpark when it may be legal?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
its being looked at and will be tested again later this weekend...

Rob and Eric Tuesday next week at earliest
Originally Posted by Brady_21x
Any update on the Tekin RS Spec yet? A ballpark when it may be legal?
Dont see what the big deal is, it meets all the requirements set by usvta and costs a whole $15 more then the GTB2
Old 01-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Dont see what the big deal is, it meets all the requirements set by usvta and costs a whole $15 more then the GTB2
honestly, it depends I am guessing on how it performs versus the other spec ESCs. If that didn't matter, then USVTA wouldn't need to do any testing and any esc that had no timing features built in would be legal. And at that point, who knows, someone could run with that and then you don't have parity.

At least, that is what I am thinking the testing is for.

What would really be crazy, is if the ESC was not approved. And by crazy I would mean the reaction, not that if it doesn't meet there requirements.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Given the opportunity I'd rather run the Tekin over the Hobby Wing, but if the Tekin proves to have a performance advantage I would rather it not be legal for the sake of the class. If everyone had to run the Tekin to be competitive at the top, that would stink.

I'm hoping its performance is on par with the others and it becomes another legal alternative.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Unless there's a competitive advantage or quality advantage to Tekin, what is the push? Brand loyalty?

I'm happy with my Novak ESC's, but the fact that the Tekin is American made like Novak is a plus for me.

I know a lot of stuff we buy comes from overseas, that's unavoidable. But I'm still old fashioned about trying to buy American made products when I can. All things being equal.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
honestly, it depends I am guessing on how it performs versus the other spec ESCs. If that didn't matter, then USVTA wouldn't need to do any testing and any esc that had no timing features built in would be legal. And at that point, who knows, someone could run with that and then you don't have parity.

At least, that is what I am thinking the testing is for.

What would really be crazy, is if the ESC was not approved. And by crazy I would mean the reaction, not that if it doesn't meet there requirements.
Yeah I get that, but its been out for a while now ... when the BOSS came out it was legal before it was available at my LHS, the rules were changed becouse out of the box the BOSS was not legal(vented can which was NOT legal) ... all this within 48h of novak anouncing it.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah I get that, but its been out for a while now ... when the BOSS came out it was legal before it was available at my LHS, the rules were changed becouse out of the box the BOSS was not legal(vented can which was NOT legal) ... all this within 48h of novak anouncing it.
I think the motor situation was easy since it uses the same stator and rotor as the previous motors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.