Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 AM
Tech Adept

I race on carpet during the winter, I find spool have det best forward bit and the lap times back it up.

However its something i going to test again.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Are you running on the carpet track at all? The putty diff up front was much better when I ran there last year. Just smoother and better rotation
That's where I primarily run. Haven't run Kambah yet. My current brand car, I run 200,000 in the front diff and quite like that. Haven't used putty before, but might give it a test.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Erm, when you say putty, what sort of putty do you use? And how do you do it? Also what is the advantage over say a thick oil?

I race on carpet and use gear diffs front and rear, I only have 10k in the front and I beat cars with spools etc. I can understand that a spool is more direct than a ball diff, but a gear diff doenst really slip.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Hi all,

I'm about to build one of the v5's and am confusing myself regarding outdrives/blades!?

I have ordered the new steel outdrives (and will be running gear diffs front and rear) and am wondering do you run blades with these? If so, will the kit blades fit or will I need the older style blades!?

Finally, if I go with kit outdrives instead, what aftermarket blades would be able to replace the new V5 ones as I believe spares are currently hard to come by of the kit ones?

I assume the difference between Ali and steel gears in the diff by the way is weight/durability?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveG28
Hi all,

I'm about to build one of the v5's and am confusing myself regarding outdrives/blades!?

I have ordered the new steel outdrives (and will be running gear diffs front and rear) and am wondering do you run blades with these? If so, will the kit blades fit or will I need the older style blades!?

Finally, if I go with kit outdrives instead, what aftermarket blades would be able to replace the new V5 ones as I believe spares are currently hard to come by of the kit ones?

I assume the difference between Ali and steel gears in the diff by the way is weight/durability?
New steel outdrives only have slots for the driveshaft pins without blades.
I would run the stock new outdrives with the new 3.5mm blades. I believe by the time you have used up the 2 pairs included in the kit spare ones will be available.

There are no oftermarket 3.5mm blades available yet. But other manufacturers have 3.5mm blades on their cars and some of these might fit.

Steel gears are just for durability.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
For the front diff I suggest picking up a set of the steel outdrives (#54425). This will let you run the diff without blades which get destroyed quickly up front.
Originally Posted by kentech
New steel outdrives only have slots for the driveshaft pins without blades.

I would run the stock new outdrives with the new 3.5mm blades. I believe by the time you have used up the 2 pairs included in the kit spare ones will be available.

There are no oftermarket 3.5mm blades available yet. But other manufacturers have 3.5mm blades on their cars and some of these might fit.
I understand the issue is that we can't use the stock outdrives and 3.5mm blades because we can't buy them. Only the one available in the kit. The only Gear Diff kit available to buy seperately is the one one with the older outdrives, hence the reason to buy the steel outdrives and use no blades. Is that correct?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

OK there's a bit of confusion:

I'm told the yokomo blades fit straight on, so you can use them until the tamiya 3.5mm are available

The tamiya steel outdrives take no blade, I would only use them up front where you have DCJs. They will cause some binding if used in the rear.

The old outdrives take the 3mm blade, you can get aftermarket steel versions from roche and arena that will accept the 3mm blade too

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Erm, when you say putty, what sort of putty do you use? And how do you do it? Also what is the advantage over say a thick oil?

I race on carpet and use gear diffs front and rear, I only have 10k in the front and I beat cars with spools etc. I can understand that a spool is more direct than a ball diff, but a gear diff doenst really slip.
I use the ride 70 hardness diff putty. You pack the diff completely with it, which makes a very heavy action, much heavier than even 1 million oil. It makes the car smoother turning in, but a bit less steering coming out.

10k sounds very light, but hey, if it works it works.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Hello guys.
Do you know that the sakura zero diferential fits perfect on 417x and it's outdrives are 3,5mm width?
I'd running it last year without any issue and in Andalusian Regionals (The biggest region in south of Spain), I'd win the championship with two victorys and two seconds with this configuration.

Cheers.

http://www.touringelectricoandalucia.es/
http://www.agaerc.com
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

spec r already do a 3.5mm blade that fits the tamiya driveshafts. my brother uses them on his 417 after we filed his worn diff outdrives out
Old 12-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by banquer
Hello guys.
Do you know that the sakura zero diferential fits perfect on 417x and it's outdrives are 3,5mm width?
I'd running it last year without any issue and in Andalusian Regionals (The biggest region in south of Spain), I'd win the championship with two victorys and two seconds with this configuration.

Cheers.

http://www.touringelectricoandalucia.es/
http://www.agaerc.com
yes.. i also use the XRay NT1 metal gears inside my Sakura Gear Diff...
Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Associated TC6 3.5mm blades fit right on and will last forever.

Steel out drives for front diff are preferred to the standard alloy with a blade as in a crash the alloy will spread open.

Cheers
Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Velocitygt
Associated TC6 3.5mm blades fit right on and will last forever.

Steel out drives for front diff are preferred to the standard alloy with a blade as in a crash the alloy will spread open.

Cheers
Fix your sig
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Apologies
Old 12-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Rookie

When does the 417v5 come out on the U.S.?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Manual now online http://www.tamiya.com/japan/download.../42240-144.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.