Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

HPI Sprint 2 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default first time poster

Hey guys, been looking at this thread for a while now but first time poster.

I purchased a sprint 2 sport a while ago as my first decent RC car looking to get into some basic racing down at the local track here in Melbourne. Since getting it i've done the following work.

Rpm ball cups all round
2s 4000ma Lipo
alloy hop-ups all round
front belt lifter mod
rear belt tensioner

I've recently purchased a vapor pro and vector 5900kv motor to give it a bit more speed. They should be here in a couple of weeks time.

What im looking for is just some good things to have a look at in terms of getting competitive such as oil and springs to use in the shocks, gear ratios, steering servo upgrades and wheel/tyre combos.

Looking forward to any help!
Thanks, Dale.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

are you going to be competing in racing or drifting? I wouldn't really recommend all the alloy/aluminum parts for high speed racing, one good smack and they'll bend. they're alright for drifting for the most part though.
I would also recommend getting some threaded adjustable shocks in place of the stock HPI shocks.
pick up an assortment combo pack of springs and play with them until you find the right combo for your driving style and track layout.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by wareagle84
are you going to be competing in racing or drifting? I wouldn't really recommend all the alloy/aluminum parts for high speed racing, one good smack and they'll bend. they're alright for drifting for the most part though.
I would also recommend getting some threaded adjustable shocks in place of the stock HPI shocks.
pick up an assortment combo pack of springs and play with them until you find the right combo for your driving style and track layout.

I'm definitely looking at racing and not drifting.

In regards to the shocks there are a few different gpm ones and i was wondering what ones to go for? There are ones with a hex nut on the top of the shock and ones without.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

go with some good quality shocks like the HPI/ hot bodies competition ones or some other good ones. the GPM stuff has seemed to get mixed reviews.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

snailman
i think their is a mod for adding bearings in to the dif"s (i could be wrong) but would make sure
Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

probably to replace the bushings in the diff.

the diffs in the sprint suck though. they are not sealed with an o ring at all, and rely only on the plastic and bushing to seal, so they leak.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

pick up some TRF shocks if you got the money to do so...if not Ive found the Yeah Racing aluminum adjustable shocks (TRF clones) to be very nice, especially for the price.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Rookie

hey wassup everyone. i came across this page from a google search. i just pick up a sprint 2 flux the grey mustang and i was wondering if you guys can tell me what lipo battery would fit and wat are the battery compartment dimensions. i have lipo batterys but they dont fit.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Unfortunately many batteries don't fit this chassis well without modification. I describe the work I did several pages back in this thread. I have Killer Bees, Venom hard packs, Gens Ace and Team EAM batteries and they all fit now since I modded the swing arms by removing material.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thispecialk
hey wassup everyone. i came across this page from a google search. i just pick up a sprint 2 flux the grey mustang and i was wondering if you guys can tell me what lipo battery would fit and wat are the battery compartment dimensions. i have lipo batterys but they dont fit.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/11722879-post321.html
Old 06-23-2014, 04:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by thispecialk
The previous post links to the mod -
This one links to the battery list (at the time of the mod) =

http://www.rctech.net/forum/11031684-post65.html
Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ThePanda
probably to replace the bushings in the diff.

the diffs in the sprint suck though. they are not sealed with an o ring at all, and rely only on the plastic and bushing to seal, so they leak.

Your statement is "inaccurate" =

Part designated HPI86016 is an 'O' ring diff seal (kit) & it comes two 'O' ring seals for the diff cases and four axle 'o' rings for the axles = Services both front & rear diffs =
LINK
Old 06-24-2014, 03:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi all.
I have been reading this thread over the last couple of weeks (most of the 50+ pages)and must thank everyone that has posted, and a special thank you to Marv for starting a great thread. You have helped me in deciding to purchase a sprint 2 flux in the following weeks.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once i get the car as reading and looking at pictures only gives you an idea how to do things, a new ball game with an actual car in front of you. And I hope to be able to return some Voodoo myself.

However i do have two questions at this stage. One of the first things i would like to do is upgrade the stock shocks with the Tamiya TRF shocks. The problem is most of the ones I have found are the TRF special shocks and they state they are for the Tamiya M chassis. Does anyone know if they will fit straight onto the sprint 2 or will I need to modify something. Have not been able to find that answer on this thread. Secondly, I'm having difficulty working out what Lipos will fit the sprint 2. I would like to get a Gens Ace. I understand I need a battery with rounded edges but not sure about the height exactly. As i can't yet use links, I hope this description describes the battery i'm looking at. Could someone advise if this would fit without any mods.
Gens ace 4000mAh 7.4V 25C 2S1P HardCase Lipo Battery 8#

Keep up on the good Voodoo and thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers Brad

Last edited by eospro; 06-24-2014 at 06:02 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 06-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by eospro
Hi all.
I have been reading this thread over the last couple of weeks (most of the 50+ pages)and must thank everyone that has posted, and a special thank you to Marv for starting a great thread. You have helped me in deciding to purchase a sprint 2 flux in the following weeks.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once i get the car as reading and looking at pictures only gives you an idea how to do things, a new ball game with an actual car in front of you. And I hope to be able to return some Voodoo myself.

However i do have two questions at this stage. One of the first things i would like to do is upgrade the stock shocks with the Tamiya TRF shocks. The problem is most of the ones I have found are the TRF special shocks and they state they are for the Tamiya M chassis. Does anyone know if they will fit straight onto the sprint 2 or will I need to modify something. Have not been able to find that answer on this thread. Secondly, I'm having difficulty working out what Lipos will fit the sprint 2. I would like to get a Gens Ace. I understand I need a battery with rounded edges but not sure about the height exactly. As i can't yet use links, I hope this description describes the battery i'm looking at. Could someone advise if this would fit without any mods.

Keep up on the good Voodoo and thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers Brad
eospro, welcome to RC/Tech and the clutch of Silk Purse owners!

The info for the shocks you want to use is beyond my knowledge, but some other S2 brothers may be able to help.

It does appear that wareagle84 has had success with them = Post #712

Originally Posted by wareagle84
pick up some TRF shocks if you got the money to do so...if not Ive found the Yeah Racing aluminum adjustable shocks (TRF clones) to be very nice, especially for the price.
BATTERY:
http://www.gensace.de/gens-ace-4000m...battery-8.html

On the Gen Ace's web site, your target battery specs out to:
Width (mm) 48
Thickness(mm) 24

So, judging from my previous measurements in Post #321, the battery should fit.

Will your belt slap the battery case?
More than likely if you don't do the belt lifter mod...

The belt lifter mod is Post #2.

Cheers!
Old 06-26-2014, 04:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Marv, I have a few small mods to do so i think i'll include the parts and do the belt lift mod and take things from there. Yeah racing have their version of the trf shocks which i may have a look at. What is your opinion of the stock servo? I think i may upgrade to one with metal gears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.