Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt :-)
Think of it like this.

Heavier center diff oil would be similar to tightening a slipper clutch. Putting more equal power front and rear.

Thinner center diff oil would be similar to loosening a slipper clutch. Putting more power to the front while on throttle.

The following does hold basic fact / truth, but ultimately comes down to the condition of the track surface and personal driving style.

Heavier rear diff oil may help give you more straight forward bite (as long as the center diff is supplying enough drive to the rear) , but the rear might want to lose traction while on throttle through a turn.

Lighter rear diff oil will provide better on throttle control in turns, and personally I've never really been in a situation where it hurt my speed on the straights.

Hope this is helpful.

I have a problem with what you said in red above.

1: Thinner center diff fluid will put power where there is the least amount of traction. (typically this is the front tires. but not always)

2: Running a slipper loose (with no center diff) certainly does not put more power to the front wheels. It just slips.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RockStew
Oh man dude you just stoked the crap out of me with this info I am getting the picture!!!!! one piece left what happens in the front by increasing, decreasing the weight oil?
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6fO...dKb3FhU2M/edit

scroll down to 4.3

credit for converting to .pdf goes to: adrictan
Old 08-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masher81

1: Thinner center diff fluid will put power where there is the least amount of traction. (typically this is the front tires. but not always)

2: Running a slipper loose (with no center diff) certainly does not put more power to the front wheels. It just slips.
yes, you're losing power to both front and rear equally when a slipper slips (unless of course you're talking about a 2 way slipper like on the dingo).
Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK

scroll down to 4.3

This is amazingly helpful!! thanks so much
Old 08-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tigergutt
What's the advantaged of 2 holes compared to 4 holes?
2 hole pistons have more pack than 4 hole pistons... When I had the 4 holes installed I was chassis slapping off almost every jump... Two hole made the car way more plush on landing... From there you can tune oils
Old 08-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masher81

I was trying to explain it as simple and easy as I could. I try not to be overwhelming on a subject that seems to be new to someone. Get them on page first, then start honing the fine edge.

You bring good info though

Thanks for the additional knowledge.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Stevomatik
2 hole pistons have more pack than 4 hole pistons... When I had the 4 holes installed I was chassis slapping off almost every jump... Two hole made the car way more plush on landing... From there you can tune oils
Thanks.
From stock shock setup to 2 hole, what oil should I use?
Old 08-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Haven't had the time to drill out my 2 hole pistons yet, and don't see that happening anytime soon. Should I just go up a full weight on each corner. It feels way too soft on the track. Running Losi 35/30 f/r
Old 08-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've been using the 4 x 1.2 hole pistons with losi 45 front & 35 rear.

So far so good for me.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tigergutt
Thanks.
From stock shock setup to 2 hole, what oil should I use?
Eh, you could start from Ty's OcRc oil set up 37.5 up front then 32.5 in the rear and see how that feels. 1.6 pistons up front and 1.7 in the rear... But then again idk what kind of track your going to be running and springs you plan to run... You just have to try something then go from there
Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Do TLR/AE rear wheels work on this buggy?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tommygun1
Do TLR/AE rear wheels work on this buggy?
front & rear wheels for TLR 22-4 fit perfect.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

scroll down to 4.3

Amazing.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

scroll down to 4.3

The info for the front diff oil on this link seems to work the opposite way for me.

In my experiences :

If my front diff oil is too thin, on throttle steering is too tight (oversteer). The car wants spin out when on throttle in a sweeper.

If it's to thick, I experience understeer, and the car wants to push to the outside of the turn when on throttle.

Maybe my driving style is different from the person who wrote the info in that link. He mentioned a few things that gave me the impression he was driving a nitro fueled car. Would that make any difference ? I've never ran nitro.

I do prefer to "throttle steer" through sweepers. I'm much lighter on the throttle in tighter, more technical turns.

For example, I started with 7/100/3 in my D413

Way too much on throttle steering (oversteer) in the sweepers. Hard for me to control.

Went to 15/100/3. Getting easier to control on throttle in the sweepers. Still just a little too much oversteer when on throttle in the sweepers.

Next time I go to the track, I may try going up in the front diff a little more 20/100/3 or possibly go down in the center 15/80/3. Still tuning.

I experienced the same pattern tuning my 8IGHT-E 2.0

First set up 10/10/3 had terrible understeer. Pushed to the outside of turns when on throttle.

Went to 7/10/5 very controlled and stable throttling through sweepers.

There's a Tekno sponsored driver at my local track. He's one of the fastest guys I've ever met. He's been teaching me how he tunes his diffs for throttle steering. It's really helped my lap times, and consistency.

Not trying to cause a stink over the subject. It just always surprises me to see how differently a tuning adjustment will react to different people.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How many people are running fans over the motor? I want to run my D413 this weekend but probably won't get a chance to get a fan until next week and I noticed most guys are running motor fans (I've always run them on ESCs in wheeler, but never on the motor). Any ideas on gearing for a 6.5? It looks like it goes anywhere from 21-24. I was thinking of going with a 22 and going up to 23 if temps looked decent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.