Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 AM
Tech Addict

I ran the Petit Race this weekend. It was on a inndoor clay track with a very hard pacekd rough surface. This track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScJF4QsD3uY

I started out with the basic setup, more or less. I have never raced on this layout, and never tried the XB4 on other than carpet. So never mind the end result

During the day I tried different setup changes, but before my last quialifier I changed diffs to 5K front and 2K rear.
This suddenly made the car a lot better. I thougt it was my damper setup messing with me, because the car was not handling the rough surface at all. But the diffs made all the difference.

I need to go back there to do more work on the car, but I was amazed at how much the diffs changed the handling...
Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Very nice track for being held indoor. Good mix between high speed and technical sections.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
My spindles did not have the 6 or 9 written on them so what is the stocker?
Pretty sure STOCK is 9.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OleC
I ran the Petit Race this weekend. It was on a inndoor clay track with a very hard pacekd rough surface. This track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScJF4QsD3uY

I started out with the basic setup, more or less. I have never raced on this layout, and never tried the XB4 on other than carpet. So never mind the end result

During the day I tried different setup changes, but before my last quialifier I changed diffs to 5K front and 2K rear.
This suddenly made the car a lot better. I thougt it was my damper setup messing with me, because the car was not handling the rough surface at all. But the diffs made all the difference.

I need to go back there to do more work on the car, but I was amazed at how much the diffs changed the handling...
Awesome track!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Yes its a great facility, and in a few weeks they are opening a carpet onroad track in the floor above. RC heaven...

Too bad its a two hour trip including 30 minutes on a ferry, to get there from my house.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slakr
Pretty sure STOCK is 9.
Ok thanks! I had a little time yesterday so I fit the K shocks on the car. For the fronts, used 22mm socket caps, thin m3 nut, 4mm plus washers back and forth on the plastic ball which goes in the shock cap, KYOLA43 for the lower shock ends with XRA352460 through the kyosho shock ends. For the rear 22mm socket caps, thin m3 nut, 4mm plus washers back and forth and KYOW5015 with xray balls to get the closest to the xray rear shock lengths. plugged xgear red springs all around...

Last edited by aloksatoor; 01-14-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boz
Here is a picture of my diffs from my last race meet 4 race plus the about 30min of practice. My diffs don't leak, that is only my diff grease that you can see.
Anychance you could do a how to Youtube Vid of you diff building/installing technique? I know i'd be very interested.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

Well, chalk up another maiden voyage cut short by broken front bulk head. Ouch! Didn't even crash hard, just caught the front end on a very small jump and flipped it over. Didn't even notice it was broke until changing out shock springs. I sure hope the V2 bulk heads have the bugs worked out. I hate to think what would happen on a hard hit. Other than that the car felt like it had lots of potential. Stock clay set up had the back end a little too loose for my driving style. Loads of steering though!!

Now I just have to wait for the replacement kit to arrive.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

youtube!

I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I had my maiden voyage yesterday and it was nothing short of fantastic!

High traction carpet, albeit a very small track, but even so I got the 8.5 wound up, and even though I had a few spills including a couple cart wheels, the beast was solid as a rock and nothing broke. I did do a serious job of rounding the corners on my shock towers and three coats of CA sanding smooth between them.

It felt a little soft with the stock carpet setup with stock springs and oils. Since the springs aren't out yet would simply using heavier oil help stiffen things in the meantime?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Anyone know if Xray or any other company has double jointed front driveshafts planned? They work so well on touring cars so I'd imagine they'd be awesome on an off-road car as well.

Also I have 2 sets of the prototype towers I made for the XB4 that I'm selling. They're the same as the regular towers but aren't smooth with a nice finish so you'll want to sand the edges and make them look nice. Only $25 shipped. http://mbsracing.com/shop/xb4-alumin...ers-prototypes

Last edited by seth556; 01-14-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Tech Master

My 7 year old daughter also ran the 7th PetitRC Race at Mustit Raceway this weekend.

This was her very first race with her new christmas present.......the XB4.

She ran 5 battery packs for practice on Friday and entered the pre-seeding practice on Sunday with barely an hour behind the wheel of her new buggy.

She only started driving R/C cars in mid November of 2012 so she has only driven R/C cars for 2 months

Had som bad luck during the SC finals on Saturday when she lost her wheel on the very first lap and then again lost a tire on the front immediately after the start in the buggy 4WD finals.
It's a good thing her mechanic (ME) don't cash a pay check or he would have been fired on the spot

But......on a positive note she ended up 26 out of 52 drivers in the pre-seedings and despite some hick-ups and problems she qualified for the D-final and put down some very fast laps

Not too bad for a 7 year old who's only been driving for 2 months

She ran:
  • Front: 10K (stock diffs) 2 hole 1.6 / 35W / progressive springs / no swaybar / 22 mm ride height
  • Rear: 5K (stock diffs) 2 hole 1.7 / 35W / progressive springs /stock swaybar / 22 mm ride height
  • Stock kick-up, caster, toe-in
  • Long wheelbase
  • 20/84 with a Tekin Redline Gen2 6.5 / RS Pro / 80 timing / 20 boost and no CL
  • JConcepts Double Dees Super Soft Front/Rear
  • Team SR 4mm front and rear carbon shock towers.
  • 2mm carbon brace for the front of the front tower and a 2mm alu. brace for the rear of the front tower.

On the driver stand for the SC 4WD on Saturday:
http://www.petitrc.com/_forumphp/sho...038#post511038

She loves marshalling
http://www.petitrc.com/_forumphp/sho...054#post511054

Here she is with her "co driver" for the UFO final at the end of the day:
http://www.petitrc.com/_forumphp/sho...217#post511217

On the driver stand for the UFO final:
http://www.petitrc.com/_forumphp/sho...220#post511220

UFO final is a "fun race" with the best drivers teamed up with drivers selected by Nicolas Petit.
They race in teams sharing throttle and steering duties AND run the track backwards with their vehicle of choice......buggy 2WD, 4WD or SC

Malin and Craig placed 6th if I remember correctly........with her vehicle of choice.......her XB4

From one of the qualifying heats @ the PetitRC race:

Bent

Last edited by BentKa; 01-15-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

That pic of her on the driver's stand is awesome!!! The look of intensity, lol.

DekelzMan - I had the same feeling from the carpet setup, felt too soft. I want to lower my camber links on the towers, but I'm hesitant because I think that would create an easier breaking point on the tower. I'll just wait for the upgrade package to arrive before I do that.

I have gone up in shock oil since my first outing, but haven't got to test it yet.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

my rear shock towers broke today... but thats after 30 plus crashes and dozens of cart wheels. I was amazed how it held up during all those hard tumbles...i beat the living crap out of that car
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

My rear tower broke Sunday on the 2nd pack thru the car. Was just starting to get a feel for it and get my radio settings worked in to where I liked them. Hadn't even gotten a chance to get any real hard laps on the car yet. A random SC truck tumbled over and hit the rear wheel of my car and that's all it took. Done for the day..... I was actually surprised it broke. It didnt look like much of a hit.

Glad to see the xray is putting out the upgrade kit to address these issues, but damn, replacing that $40 rear shock tower hurts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.