Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JWRockman
I have been reading the forum and you guys can be of help to me in choosing proper clutchbell, pipe, shoes and springs for my OS VG on my 8 buggy.
I just picked up this engine and have put a gallon through it already. I'm running the O.S. 2050 with stock carbon and aluminum shoes, with silver and gold springs as suggested in the 8ight manual.

This combo is amazing! I made some jaws drop at the track this past weekend. It just plain rips.

Hopefully that helps.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I too can vouch for the VG, it's alot more motor than you would assume. On a JP-2 pipe, with four king headz 7075 shoes and all gold springs, it does rip. It has so much more bottom end than my Rex, along with the same top end, that I've decided to sell it and get another VG...
Old 03-30-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by R40Victim
I too can vouch for the VG, it's alot more motor than you would assume. On a JP-2 pipe, with four king headz 7075 shoes and all gold springs, it does rip. It has so much more bottom end than my Rex, along with the same top end, that I've decided to sell it and get another VG...
I have a couple of questions for you.
Which clutchbell or you running 13 or 14 tooth?
What type of clutch shoes are you running, soft, medium or hard? Are they 7 or 6 hardness?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Hey guys,
Just got an 8 off my buddy..
wo questions..
A.. Is it just me or is fitting all of your rx and leads into the car a nightmare??
B.. Is there a part number for a servo holder/mount?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Rx leads can be a pain depending on what Rx you use. With my KO I have to put all the leads towards the center of the car -so that when the cover hits the leads it pushes the Rx down in the recess on that side. Other option might be to flip it over so your leads are pointed down in that recess.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

I have a couple of questions for you.
And I have a couple anwsers. I'm running a 13T clutchbell(small track), gold springs on King Headz 7075 shoes. It FLIES!
Old 03-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Tech Initiate

YEAH,
I TRIED TO MATCH HIS VG WITH A NEW RB S3....NOT EVEN CLOSE
SO TODAY I WENT BACK TO THE 427 WITH OUT THE ROTO-START UNTIL MY COBRA ARIVES... ........................(SAID THE VILLAN)
Old 03-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Initiate

do you all think that the 8ight is still the best buggy out there even after all the problems?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by novacrzy
do you all think that the 8ight is still the best buggy out there even after all the problems?
look at all the big races. the 8ights still on top
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Champion

Yup, still THE car to have!
Old 03-31-2007, 04:31 AM

Default setup on clutch

Originally Posted by R40Victim
And I have a couple anwsers. I'm running a 13T clutchbell(small track), gold springs on King Headz 7075 shoes. It FLIES!
I went back to silver and gold springs with M2Cracing medium light shoes. Also put 13 tooth bell back on. Combined with JP1 pipe on OS VG.

Will test this out today and see how much POP I can not get out of the corners leading to jumps.

By the way, How did you shim on your clutchbell?
I put two small shims before putting on the clutchbell. It spins freely but does not have much push/pull on the clutchbell. I did this because I noticed the clutchbell was hard to pull off and seemed to be rubbing the flywheel even though it was able to move slightly back and forth before.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:34 AM
Tech Regular

well, it is the only buggy I have had, but I will tell you this much...racing against guys with other bugs, and who have been racing anywhere from 2-4 years, my 8ight is faster, quicker, jumps better, lands better, and seems more stable in the rough stuff then their buggies (mostly Jammin's and Mugen) - now, I obviously do not win all the time, but for my 8ight to stand out above those other buggies at the track, and I am a rookie driver???? That says something about the 8ight....it may not be the BEST choice for everyone out there, but I am glad I dropped the mugen from the cart and got the 8ight for sure
Old 03-31-2007, 05:01 AM
Tech Initiate

I was just wondering because the guys that own the hobby shop that is at the race track by my house have gotten rid of there 8ights and gone back to the 777 because of all the parts that they were breaking and they are good drivers
Old 03-31-2007, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 8

Must not be as good as you think they are. 6 months racing the 8ight and I have broken 1 front arm,1 front shock stand off and 1 steering rod end.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

By the way, How did you shim on your clutchbell?
I don't even remember, but I always shim it to have the right amount of play. To little and it eats bearings, too much and your shoes wear funny.

I was just wondering because the guys that own the hobby shop that is at the race track by my house have gotten rid of there 8ights and gone back to the 777 because of all the parts that they were breaking and they are good drivers
I really don't think it was durability issues that made them switch, I bet it was driving style. The fastest guys at our track can't drive an 8ight, but I can drive the other cars as well as I can mine. It's more likely a mattter of taste. Most racers like to sling a car into the corner, and burn out of it. I came from on road cars, and like to roll through the corners. This is why I do so well with the 8ight, and many off road guys, don't.

As far as durability, I've read things about the rear hinge pins online, but have never had a problem with mine. The first week I had mine, I ran off the track at 30+ mph straight into a fence post, no damage! The only thing that's been a problem for me was shock shafts and that's only because some of the "Kung Fu" drivers I race with can't help but run into me.

I read all kinda of things on here, but I know some of these people are just bashing, and seeing how high or far they can jump the thing. Some people are just harder on their cars. One of the guys on my team has probably spent about 2 grand in reaplacement parts int he last 3 or 4 months...on his RTR! But that's just how "Kung Fu" he is.(refuses to slow down). I know that if he had a Kyosho, Mugen, HB, Jammin, H8 or anything else, he'd be in the same boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.