Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
The steering is a little loose. You can't eliminate all of the slop, but by putting some shims under the steering bellcranks. You can take out some of it.
possible photo of where you are talking about?

I think your talking about the part bolted to the chassis.

--pakk
Old 04-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, the steering bellcranks hold the steering rack to the chassis. The bellcranks are the hex-like brushing that hold it together. Now, if you put a vary fine shim at the base of the neck, you'll notice it takes out some of that play. I used the Associated differential shim set, and I've had no more issues with my steering.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I found a quality control issue with the posts that go through the bearings and bolt to the chassis. I bought several packages of them and found two that mic'd out almost identical... THEN i shimmed them. I used axle shims on top and bottom of the bearings... and one thin motor shim in each small hole in the chassis so that when i tightened the screw and used a socket driver on the post it didnt matter how tight i went because it was shimmed for smooth action and no slop. With just the bearing supported arms in place they move back and forth freely with no binding, but have no slop.

I also took the time to match up the two posts that hold the swing rack to each bearing supported arm... i wet sanded them to the same length and used shims to equal them out. Once together, the rack has very little slop in it... and zero binding. As long as you keep track of/reuse these modded parts, you can drop in a new rack and not have to reshim anything. All the hard work is done.

I actually have more slop in my ballcups than anywhere else.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

DeeDubYa. The car looked great today as always. You guys really need to see his car up close. It is a work of art and a piece of perfection.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Thanx Tony. Your rides are ALWAYS built CLEAN and to perfection my man!

Yeah the car was ok today... it got worse with the warmer temps (compared to practice yesterday). I had to wheel it on the ragged edge with the rear diff blown out in the main... and i just made way too many mistakes. I had too long a vacation from R/C it seems. haha

Its still an uphill battle against the LiPo and Brushless setups you guys have. Mel said i can snag his KO and Speed Passion setup for next weekend to get my feet wet. He said somethin about a laptop and setup changes on Friday... sounds right up my alley.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
Thanx Tony. Your rides are ALWAYS built CLEAN and to perfection my man!

Yeah the car was ok today... it got worse with the warmer temps (compared to practice yesterday). I had to wheel it on the ragged edge with the rear diff blown out in the main... and i just made way too many mistakes. I had too long a vacation from R/C it seems. haha

Its still an uphill battle against the LiPo and Brushless setups you guys have. Mel said i can snag his KO and Speed Passion setup for next weekend to get my feet wet. He said somethin about a laptop and setup changes on Friday... sounds right up my alley.
Leave the dremel at home. Not required for brushless. x2 on the warmer temps. I think I need to look at a different set of tires. The Sorex seemed to be very inconsistent throughout the day. Oh well.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Yes, the steering bellcranks hold the steering rack to the chassis. The bellcranks are the hex-like brushing that hold it together. Now, if you put a vary fine shim at the base of the neck, you'll notice it takes out some of that play. I used the Associated differential shim set, and I've had no more issues with my steering.
Thanks! That worked like a charm. The rest of my play is coming from the ball ends.

--pakk
Old 04-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Is this the shim set your talking about Foxx? If so which one did you use from this pack?

http://nexgenhobby.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=3433

I know you said you put it at the base, but did you mean the base... in between the Chassis and the bearing, or on top of the bearing just under the hex nut (top of the bellcrank)?

Sorry for the noob question. I if I can get a shim or two from the guys at the track tomorrow I would like this to be painless and fast.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Can anyone here post pics on how to shim the steering system? And what shim sizes to use. Mine came from an RTR and it uses bushings in the bell crank holders. What bearing size can I use to replace the bushings?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hooligan_
Is this the shim set your talking about Foxx? If so which one did you use from this pack?

http://nexgenhobby.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=3433
Yes, that's the one. I used the small dark shims, because they'er the right size.

I know you said you put it at the base, but did you mean the base... in between the Chassis and the bearing, or on top of the bearing just under the hex nut (top of the bellcrank)?
Right under the head. You don't need anymore than one for each post. I tried fitting two in there, but the steering would bind. So, one is more than enough.

Sorry for the noob question. I if I can get a shim or two from the guys at the track tomorrow I would like this to be painless and fast.
No problem. it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do. Just remember, you want a little play in the steering. So, don't worry if it gives a little.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks Foxx, much appreciated man.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default shims

..... i need to know about the circle, square, triangle, and "x" shims. when im looking at the setup sheets it says for instance: 2 triangle, 2 circle and so on... when setting up the car to the manuel, there are some shims with a measurment of .025", .075"...... the .025" have one little "bump", and the .075" have three little "bumps" on it.... my question is, when they say 2 triangle shims are the reffering to one shim being .025"?

in the manuel there is 1 .075" shim (three bumps) and one .025" shim (one bump) under triangle, for a total of 1mm of shims or 4 "bumps" right? is that 2 shims or 4 shims???? do you reffer to the measurement or the "bumps"
Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was wondering what would be the best source for a 55 tooth 48 pitch spur gear that would be usable on the FT TC4?
I'm looking at going brushless with a 17.5 but I'm looking at ratios between 4.00 and possibly 3.40 as a starting wich I can't do with 69t spur unless I get pinions that nearly 50t.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:59 AM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The smallest 48P spur U can get is a 60T from Robinson Racing. U can get to 3.5 FDR with a 43T pinion.
On a TC3 I run 75T 64P with 53T pinion to achieve 3.5 FDR.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NHB18R
..... i need to know about the circle, square, triangle, and "x" shims. when im looking at the setup sheets it says for instance: 2 triangle, 2 circle and so on... when setting up the car to the manuel, there are some shims with a measurment of .025", .075"...... the .025" have one little "bump", and the .075" have three little "bumps" on it.... my question is, when they say 2 triangle shims are the reffering to one shim being .025"?

in the manuel there is 1 .075" shim (three bumps) and one .025" shim (one bump) under triangle, for a total of 1mm of shims or 4 "bumps" right? is that 2 shims or 4 shims???? do you reffer to the measurement or the "bumps"
Dont think of it in terms of mm (metric) measurements.

One 3 bump shim equals to the same as 3, 1 bump shims. You could also mix it up... 1, 2 bump shim and 1,1 bump shim... if you so desired.

One shim of proper thickness is usually easiest to get the screws through. Some setups require more though (i have used a 3 bump and a 2 bump under the same suspension mount before)... it just depends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.