Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Hey I've got one of these things in my stable, an old pro model. I put a brushless motor in it, an old Novak 13.5 and it runs great. Not sure what pinion I have in it but I can check if anybody wants to know. I love this thing, wish I could find some CS stuff for it. Don't really want to race it or bash it because parts are hard to find.

Sean
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey all,

I'm K0t0g aka Kyle the Grouch.

Ive been browsing the forums for a long time now but have never created an account or posted anything prior.

But I have the best of news... I'm ditching my Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo and trading for a TA03F Audi A4 STW. Now this chassis isnt a Pro version and I think I'm okay with that. In the trade the guy is giving me a couple motors, esc's, bodies, wheels, spare parts, etc. My 1/16 e-revo just sits in the garage and does nothing. Glad to be rid of it to be honest.

However, I'm specially excited because this car is so vintage and still has all working parts. Now I would like to do either 1 of 2 things... Fully clean and restore this project to host my HT2000 GT-R body and keep it my "Old School" drifter, or convert it somehow to a 2 plate carbon chassis (which I dont know can be done).

My main questions are this, Is there a TA03F stock to pro chassis conversion? I would like Carbon Decks mostly for setup as the bucket is very limited. Also, what websites are out there that have parts for these old beasts?

I appreciate all the conversation this thread has to offer. And I hope to bring more to it. Ill be posting pictures of my restore as well!

Thanks so much for reading!

Kyle
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k0t0g
Hey all,

I'm K0t0g aka Kyle the Grouch.

Ive been browsing the forums for a long time now but have never created an account or posted anything prior.

But I have the best of news... I'm ditching my Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo and trading for a TA03F Audi A4 STW. Now this chassis isnt a Pro version and I think I'm okay with that. In the trade the guy is giving me a couple motors, esc's, bodies, wheels, spare parts, etc. My 1/16 e-revo just sits in the garage and does nothing. Glad to be rid of it to be honest.

However, I'm specially excited because this car is so vintage and still has all working parts. Now I would like to do either 1 of 2 things... Fully clean and restore this project to host my HT2000 GT-R body and keep it my "Old School" drifter, or convert it somehow to a 2 plate carbon chassis (which I dont know can be done).

My main questions are this, Is there a TA03F stock to pro chassis conversion? I would like Carbon Decks mostly for setup as the bucket is very limited. Also, what websites are out there that have parts for these old beasts?

I appreciate all the conversation this thread has to offer. And I hope to bring more to it. Ill be posting pictures of my restore as well!

Thanks so much for reading!

Kyle
keep that 03 alive, bud! sadly ebay, tamiya america, etamiya, and asiatees are really the only trusted sites I can find an assortment of parts on...the plate chassis conversions are out there but you pretty much have to wait for people to sell'em now a days...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by irockflipflops
keep that 03 alive, bud! sadly ebay, tamiya america, etamiya, and asiatees are really the only trusted sites I can find an assortment of parts on...the plate chassis conversions are out there but you pretty much have to wait for people to sell'em now a days...
Totally! I'm going to do a complete rebuild, hopefully, without breaking any parts in the process... But I wasn't sure if the "Tamiya RC TA03F FRP Chassis Set part#53306" was for my stock TA03F Audi or if it was for the Pro chassis only. I just need to know what parts to keep an eye out for.

Im definitely excited about this model.

Thanks for the reply! Im getting it tomorrow at lunch along with my expecting package with my Sakura d3 cs.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Here it is! TA03F. Now its time to see if I want to search for a carbon upgrade or keep it stock. For sure going to clean it up and restore whats there... I just havent decided yet.
Attached Thumbnails Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!-car-box.jpg   Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!-chassis.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 02:30 AM
Tech Regular

Sweet! I've been holding on to a TA03F Pro Drift Spec for almost a year and just last night got around to building it. k0t0g, you can use the FRP conversion chassis or (if you're lucky and have money to spend) you can use the carbon fiber chassis for both the 03F or 03R. They will fit. It's just the RS or the FS models that don't.
Parts for the car are hard to find but they do exist. Real Tamiya option parts are very hard to find. Japanese brand aftermarket parts (Kose, Square, etc) are basically non-existent. I keep "TA03F" as a saved search in eBay and buy parts here and there if I feel I need it or I may not find it at the price.

Here's mine 90% done:

The shocks are temporary and soon to be replaced with TRF units. Still not sure if I should run with this Castle 5700kv setup or give the Hobbywing Xtreme Stock a try. Can't wait to drift this car!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

Another pic. The car's in the same state as the previous but at least the tires are mounted...

This car is beginning to look sexy to me!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Looks great!
Can´t wait till i start my own TA03F builld.

My latest buy!
paid 28 us$ for theese.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps756e4a95.jpg
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Thats a great looking TA03F Chiefy!

Hey would this work as upgrades for my TA03F?

Tamiya 53363 TA03R TA03F Carbon Chassis
Tamiya 50703 Battery Holder

Found these as a package on ebay for 99 bucks.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Tech Regular

K0t0g you can use the chassis plates. My question is you've been able to find a set?! You can also use that battery holder but it limits your batteries to nickel stick packs or rounded lipos. But you can mod it in a way to get around it.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Chiefy,

Yeah the Carbon Chassis was top and bottom new for 100USD shipping from China. It was for the TA03R so the upper isnt straight across its bent like the one in your pictures. Those prices are a little steep for me at this moment so I found a TA03F Pro on ebay for 40USD that I bought. Im going to see whats good on both of my cars and combine them.

The Pro I just bought for 40 has some scratches on the carbon fiber but nothing a refinish job wont fix. No cracks. Really excited about this restore. Hope to have it done before the year ends. (Parts are so expensive!)

Thanks for your help. Ill post some pictures once I start my restore.

Kyle
Old 01-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Tech Regular

Ridiculous!

I forgot to mention K0t0g, awesome find on those axles! I'm running YR axles in the front and GPM blue in the back.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Beauty! Glad to see the TA03's still kicking. Older pic of mine below before it went drift.. has a couple key mods. Front 1-way, ball diffs and the Cross 48p conversion spur gear. Think i have the Aramid belt here somewhere too. Otherwise pretty stock. Great car!

Defintely need a new pic, this is OLD! Was a shelfer as shown until I took it down and rebuilt it.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WOW A blast from the past! It’s nice to see there are still people that have an interest in the 03 series. Not to mention there are some trick cars on here. This was my first sedan and I had a blast with it. Below are some pics of the three I still have. The Benz was the runner.

More pics can be found here: http://www.hobzob.com/album/browse/t...e/p/rc/u/Vyger
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Chiefy,

Yours has a TA03R Bottom and Top Chassis Plates correct? Whats the Battery Area you have there? Id like to recreate that on mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.